PDA

View Full Version : Ritual Scroll Cost in downtime and gold?

Caskwell
2016-02-05, 06:57 PM
I DM for a pretty loose AL group - we have an affiliation with a local game store, but meet at gaming friendly bar/restaurant. As such, I mostly have new and casual players that aren't looking to go to big events (or even other AL tables), so I'm more willing to push the AL boundaries in the interest of keeping it fun.

One tweak that I'm considering is allowing the PCs to use downtime and gold to purchase ritual spell scrolls for 1st and 2nd level spells, with the proviso that they can tell me 2 spells that they want and I supply another 4 and then roll a d6 to see what they actually find as they spend time and money asking around town. If I do this, I'd open it to all players with a caution that it kinda makes taking their character to a big event a no-no. That said, this is mostly to accommodate a Book of Shadows Warlock, with no one else at all interested. He would still have to spend the standard scribing cost.

So, I'm interested in opinions on whether this is a reasonable idea (preferably from folks with AL experience) and how to cost it. My first thoughts based on DMG 129 (1day=25gp of crafted item cost and common = 100, uncommon = 500) is that 1st level scrolls (common) would be 50gp and 5 downtime days and 2nd level scrolls (uncommon) would be 300gp and 10 downtime days. The idea being to split some of the overall cost into downtime, but with more downtime added in than a straight conversion.

Obviously without much to spend downtime and gold on in AL, this method would eventually net all 1st and 2nd level rituals for the booklock. So, I'm think of the additional caveats on this only being available when a town is nearby, not during an adventure (if one runs multiple sessions), and then only once between sessions. With all this in place, I don't anticipate more than 3-4 more rituals being granted through the rest of the current play season, which doesn't seem too unbalancing, especially given the random nature of it. In fact, I'm kinda curious what he'd do with access to some of the less frequently prepared rituals (which are definitely the ones that I add to the random mix).

Maybe this is too much to go through for one player, but there is a definite lack of opportunity for a booklock to find rituals in the current modules and lower level hardback stuff since most casters are innate (thus no spell book to find) and the scrolls called out as loot are generally not rituals. Oh, and there's no regular wizard in the party for him to ask for a peek at their spellbook.