PDA

View Full Version : Project Jingara, Designing an Artificial World (Help Wanted) (Pathfinder)

Ancalidormis
2016-02-06, 12:00 AM
Hello everyone! I've been thinking about coming up with a custom world for a campaign. I dont really know what I'm doing and I would like some creative help from the forums to come up with some original ideas to help flesh out this world. I'd love for this to be something everyone can contribute ideas.

Rough Concept:

Its an artificial world in concept, clearly of alien make. Its a misty jungle world with a dense atmosphere; bombarded by asteroid showers, while dealing with frequent seismic activity and tropical storms.

Encircled by a 'Sol Ring', this ring protects the world from the 'planet killer' asteroids in its path, by means of an invisible barrier. this barrier is seen only for a few moments after an asteroid of a substantial enough size collides with it at high speed, producing glowing rings of dissipating energy. Though its mostly disintegrated upon impact, some smaller debris does pass through unharmed, although these pieces typically do not cause much destruction.

As this 'Sol Ring' spins around the world on a north-south axis, it also gathers and redirects solar energy from a small section (15% of the ring, passing around the equatorial region) of the ring to give the world energy for growth, along with a day/night cycle.

Races I'm Considering:

http://i.imgur.com/7Ab5yL0.png
http://i.imgur.com/9YQKgpW.png

Any ideas or suggestions would be helpful. Im sort of overwhelmed, but I want to stick with this idea until its finished. Anyone care to help me?

Ancalidormis
2016-02-06, 12:06 AM
Reserved 1 of 1.

avr
2016-02-06, 01:22 AM
OK, so aside from the Dromites and maybe Strix not a lot of civilisation. Is there something stopping the relatively civilised races conquering the others and taking over? Active gods perhaps, or someone with their trigger finger on the Sol Ring who will interrupt attempts at conquest.

This world was made by something. Are the makers still around (gods/demons/overlords), or are they a lost civilisation? Is one (or more) of the races descended from the makers?

If someone wants to play a relatively civilised concept - a noble knight, an urban rogue, a professional scholar - but they don't want to play insectoids, where would you point them?

Ancalidormis
2016-02-06, 02:03 AM
OK, so aside from the Dromites and maybe Strix not a lot of civilisation. Is there something stopping the relatively civilised races conquering the others and taking over? Active gods perhaps, or someone with their trigger finger on the Sol Ring who will interrupt attempts at conquest.

I was thinking up until 500 years ago, there was. The ancient creators were watching over them. They no doubt had servants among the people there. They could even still be worshiped as gods. Im not sure. What do you think?

This world was made by something. Are the makers still around (gods/demons/overlords), or are they a lost civilisation? Is one (or more) of the races descended from the makers?

I was thinking Deity-like Aliens from somewhere in the Dark Tapestry, maybe the Annunaki from bestiary 5...? Maybe we could create something together as a community? on one hand I think it might be cool that the aliens keep out of the race's development. It wouldn't be long until they look up and wonder about the universe, or at least the ring. some might even worship the ring. A whole mythos about its travel around the sky. the protective barrier. the night-time 'lights' as the shield flashes and the ring radiates an aurora of prismatic light around its dark side. the bright, fiery portion that brings warmth, light, and plant growth.

If someone wants to play a relatively civilised concept - a noble knight, an urban rogue, a professional scholar - but they don't want to play insectoids, where would you point them?

This one I'm not sure about. The whole point of this world was to do something different. Naturally it would be a more primitive world, with the potential for less options.

Ancalidormis
2016-02-06, 02:40 AM
http://i.imgur.com/ObfEefe.png

Mechalich
2016-02-06, 05:40 AM
Building a habitable world and protecting it in such a hazardous system represents a huge outlay of effort. Whomever it was you decide that did it, there should probably have been a good reason why they went to all that trouble.

Also, if you're hewing to conventional astrophysics more or less at all, you should probably provide a reason why the system is in the state it's in, since having large numbers of asteroids intersecting planetary orbits is not sustainable over the long (geologic) term. The most obvious answer is the system is merely very young and accretion is still ongoing, but there are numerous other possibilities.

avr
2016-02-06, 05:47 AM
Right, the world isn't in stasis, and maybe the dromites are expanding. 500 years is more than long enough to change or corrupt a religion which speaks against conquest; not sure about the reptoids or ghoran, but I think your other races have humanish lifespans. I agree that the creators could reasonably be worshipped as gods.

If there is such worship, do divine casters get their powers from that? It might go against your Prime Directive-type aliens. Maybe it'd be better to have clerics (etc.) getting their powers from connecting to magical subsystems left behind by the aliens, whether they realise it or not.

If a bunch of the normal concepts aren't going to be present you're going to want to provide a bunch of hooks which people can use to distinguish their characters. It's not that you can't make four different primitive warrior characters easily, it's just that they can easily feel the same to some degree. Maybe there are cross-cultural societies which PCs may belong to with differing belief, e.g. one which searches for relics of the aliens, one which collects tales, one which fights against a particular threat (like undead, perhaps).

Ancalidormis
2016-02-06, 09:56 AM
Building a habitable world and protecting it in such a hazardous system represents a huge outlay of effort. Whomever it was you decide that did it, there should probably have been a good reason why they went to all that trouble.

To preserve specific species from destruction, while being able to study them as they advance through the cultural ages, maybe even directly educate them (Prometheus and fire?). It would be for knowledge's sake, I suppose.

Maybe even for some form of Alien Narcissism? They did it because they could...

Also, if you're hewing to conventional astrophysics more or less at all, you should probably provide a reason why the system is in the state it's in, since having large numbers of asteroids intersecting planetary orbits is not sustainable over the long (geologic) term. The most obvious answer is the system is merely very young and accretion is still ongoing, but there are numerous other possibilities.

It could very well be a young system, but I was imagining an old solar system with a white dwarf star. The asteroid belt could have been from several sources (crumbled planets, debris from another stellar phenomenon, etc.) That being said, it was just the first idea that came to mind. if it makes better sense to change it, im down for that.

Right, the world isn't in stasis, and maybe the dromites are expanding. 500 years is more than long enough to change or corrupt a religion which speaks against conquest; not sure about the reptoids or ghoran, but I think your other races have humanish lifespans. I agree that the creators could reasonably be worshiped as gods.

If there is such worship, do divine casters get their powers from that? It might go against your Prime Directive-type aliens. Maybe it'd be better to have clerics (etc.) getting their powers from connecting to magical subsystems left behind by the aliens, whether they realise it or not.

Id imagine Ghoran might still worship the aliens or their devices, since some would have a strong racial memory, due to them being pretty much immortal, so long as their 'seed' survives. The other races would less direct knowledge of the Aliens, having probably fallen into legend and mythos by now. Im not getting too many ideas on this front. IF they did give technology or anything like that, it could be seen rather like the story of Prometheus, where fire is given to man by him and then he is punished for his crime against the gods/titans.

If a bunch of the normal concepts aren't going to be present you're going to want to provide a bunch of hooks which people can use to distinguish their characters. It's not that you can't make four different primitive warrior characters easily, it's just that they can easily feel the same to some degree. Maybe there are cross-cultural societies which PCs may belong to with differing belief, e.g. one which searches for relics of the aliens, one which collects tales, one which fights against a particular threat (like undead, perhaps).

yeah, im not entirely sure on how to go about that. I need to work out the basics of the world and the aliens first before I do too heavily into what players will be doing, since what they would know would differ from what I'd know about the world. You are right that it needs adventure hooks and all that, but I think that needs to wait a bit. what say you on that?

Ancalidormis
2016-02-06, 02:49 PM
Strix and Reptoid: Mesoamerican and maybe some Native American themes. The Couatl once guided both of their cultures for a time, but a rift has formed between the two races.

Ghoran: A mix of Druidic and Alien worship. They still carry the immortal seeds created by the aliens, so they tend to see themselves as their children. They believe themselves the proper inheritors and protectors of this world.

Dromite: A caste system based on their chitin coloration. The castes: Thunder (sonic), Lightning (electricity), Volcano (fire), Sea (cold), & Stone (acid).

Monkey-Goblin: Perhaps one of the least advanced cultures, theirs is by far the most plentiful in numbers. They raid and hunt for their meals.

Grippli: maybe something about a Froghemoth?

Orang-Pendak: While very primitive still, they are now using simple tools and weapons to hunt prey to add to their omnivorous diet. They also have begun to tame wild apes to hunt and travel with them as they move occasionally to more plentiful regions.

avr
2016-02-07, 03:34 AM
yeah, im not entirely sure on how to go about that. I need to work out the basics of the world and the aliens first before I do too heavily into what players will be doing, since what they would know would differ from what I'd know about the world. You are right that it needs adventure hooks and all that, but I think that needs to wait a bit. what say you on that?
I was thinking of concept hooks to help identify the PCs rather than adventure hooks, e.g. bloodlines in Vampire. Those clans/societies/religions would need to be built in fairly early. The big questions like 'why did the aliens build this world?' are less important in a way, you might not need to answer them until the end of the campaign, if then.

Ancalidormis
2016-02-08, 01:36 AM
I was thinking of concept hooks to help identify the PCs rather than adventure hooks, e.g. bloodlines in Vampire. Those clans/societies/religions would need to be built in fairly early. The big questions like 'why did the aliens build this world?' are less important in a way, you might not need to answer them until the end of the campaign, if then.

There is definitely things being discussed. I'm also posting a lot of this on two fb groups and paizo's forum, as well as here.

---

Im thinking a conflict is brewing between the Strix and the Reptoids. Im not sure if it directly relates to the couatl that helped mentor both of their species, back when they were still allies and friends. It needs to be discussed in more detail. I was thinking that the reptoids could start wearing strix feathers of those enemies they kill, sort of as a way of showing honor or reverence (or maybe even disrespect) for the feathery winged couatls.
Edit: Im thinking the Reptoids fear that the Artificial Ring will stop spinning, bringing the end of the world. They now make dozens of 'offerings' to it. They perform these rituals from on top of a raised platform, within a ring of monoliths inscribed with alien symbols.
-

The Dromites have a spiritual belief in a concept they call 'Droma', which mirrors the concept of 'Dharma' in Hinduism and Buddhism. They seek perfection through purification and transformation. They have a caste system based on their chitin coloration and elemental affinity, which they are born into. They believe that through life, death, and reincarnation, they pass through each level of the caste system as they seek enlightenment.

-

The Ghoran can remember certain memories encoded in their ghorus seed, so they still remember some details about the creators. They believe that they were created during an earlier attempt at terraforming one of the moons of the distant gas giant, but due to unknown circumstances, the attempt failed and was canceled. Those few that survived had left with the creators before being brought here. They refer to themselves as 'The Children of _______' and feel that they have been tasked as the caretakers of this world while the creators are gone.

-

The Grippli were once a happy self-sufficient people, dwelling in the fungi filled swamps they called home. However, their lives were upturned as a foul, tainted fungi began to spread outwards from the deepest reaches of the swamp. When their greatest shamans and healers failed to stop it, they fled as best as they could. Those that did not flee suffered greatly, slowly becoming something similar to Juju Zombies. The survivors have fled in broken tribes, seeking a new home.

-

Not sure about Monkey-Goblins or Orang-Pendaks yet.

Ancalidormis
2016-02-09, 11:13 PM
I've been thinking about two things a little bit and I wanted everyone's opinion. Previously I had planned for the creators to be Aliens (Annunaki, bestiary 5) to act alone in the building of this world. While all of their long term goals are not known, most believe they did it for the purpose of preserving and studying rare wildlife. While it was contested among them, some of them wanted to directly guide and educate the primitive societies that bloomed within their created paradise. However, about 500 years ago, they left without warning.

====

Now I'm thinking it might be easier if the primordial lords of the elemental realms did not help in the forming of this world, as well as the Annunaki, since it was done with haste. I feel like a large amount of flavor for pathfinder lies in the planes of existence, especially the elemental planes, and I want to utilize it as much as possible.

Originally I felt that the ring would have been set to spin through the asteroid field, chopping up the rocks and building a world by slowly collecting it. I realize this would be far too slow for a non-immortal race, unless the world already was somehow partially-formed. Perhaps the raw power of the elemental planes was focused and channeled into the ring instead? This could allow for it to be formed into a world far more quickly and.... well... through a more magical/artificial way.

I need help drafting up a planar layout, too. should I just stick with the core universe of pathfinder, or should I create my own multiverse?

====

First off, I cant decide if I want the ring to be metal or crystal or some synthetic alloy.

Secondly, how are the rings powered and maintained? Originally I thought the ring was totally self sufficient and solar-powered, which is why I nicknamed it the 'Sol Ring'.Then I thought it would be cool if it required rare metals to power itself. There is rich veins of Star-metal, Adamantine, and Mithril in the mountains are in abundance here, as well as large amounts of gold, silver, and copper. Someone would have to mine it and refine it. I thought about the robots in the various pathfinder bestiaries, then about constructs and outsiders (especially elementals). Then I thought about primitive labor from the species it brought to the world.

Thirdly, I sort of wanted to reference Eberron's Byeshk metal by having a unique material here that is harmful to certain creatures or something. The ring might even be crafting or refining this material, or even running on it.

====

The biggest thing I want for this campaign is for it to be aesthetically different and interesting. I wanted it to have a heavy dose of science fiction in there, but under layers of magic and fantasy. When I look back to other inspirations, I'm looking at Conan, Starchaser: The Legend of Orin, Thundercats, He-Man, and so many others. I want you to feel like you got your fantasy in my science fiction (and vise-versa) with this world.

=

I'm done talking, because I feel like I'm rambling. Your thoughts?

Ancalidormis
2016-02-13, 10:26 PM
critique/advice is welcome.

Here is the first draft for the Strix race. They have a sort of gypsy feel to me now that I'm proofreading it, always travelling around in groups. I also tried to play into the whole 'wacky electromagnetic field' that Jingara has. Much like birds, they feel the urge to migrate, but struggle to orient themselves due to the shifting fields. they end up with a wanderlust they cant quite overcome. I originally wanted them to be shy and elusive, but this changed as I started writing it.

Strix
+2 Dexterity, +2 Intelligence, –2 Charisma

The Strix are a nomadic race of humanoids that seems to be always on the move. They are tireless explorers, seeking out new adventures whenever and wherever possible. Intelligent and agile, the Strix apply themselves equally well to both the athletic and the academic pursuits, so long as they don’t wander off on some great adventure elsewhere. The Strix are seemingly stricken with a deep and insatiable wanderlust; so much so that they describe it as a nagging or irritating sensation that always presses against their minds the longer they remain in the same place.

They refer to this restlessness and irritation as ‘The Calling’, seeing it begrudgingly as both a duty, but also a potential opportunity. Further amplified by this apparent wanderlust, they have a deep seeded fear of being trapped or otherwise confined. If imprisoned or trapped, they break down quickly into panic, for freedom is everything to these people. Those who are confined for longer durations tend to go mad quickly from it all, often ending in their tragic deaths at their own hands or by means self-starvation.

Physical Description:
Dark-skinned humanoids with an odd combination of physical features found in both avians and mammals. They have great feathered wings and powerful nocturnal vision; all reminiscent of avians. They have long dexterous hands that end in clawed fingers. They have large clawed feet, with a digitigrade stance (walking on their toes). Their eyes are typically a piercing white color, without any visible pupil or iris. They have long, almost bat-like ears, which are often pierced or gauged. They have pronounced outer incisors and canines, which have a slight serration. Their hair is uniformly course and shaggy, coming in lighter shades of grey and white, but they often color it with dyes or decorate it with ornaments. Their skin is always dark in color and is known for having spots or freckles in a slightly different skin shade covering a good portion of their bodies.

Society:
The Strix are a restless people, always ready to leave at a moment’s notice. Their homes are highly portable and lightweight, capable of being taken apart quickly (and carried if necessary) for easy transport. They live in close proximity to each other in a communal way, living in extended families of a few dozen adults and a handful of children.

No other species on Jingara has come closer to exploring the world than the Strix has, nor as any other species come closer to mapping the world and the heavens above. They have perhaps the best guides and map makers of any species, for their wings grant them the added benefit of being able to survey the land from high above.

They tend to favor higher attitudes with open skies for travel, keeping well away from any subterranean passages or caverns.

Relations:
While they are generally well thought of by other non-Strix, they are not as sociable as others would often like. They tend to see relationships with non-Strix as temporary things, for such relationships rarely last longer than a few weeks at most before the Strix plans on leaving the area. While it is not intended, other non-strix tend to think of them as a bit indifferent and fleeting at best, to frustratingly rude or insulting at worst.

(Other races: Catfolk, Reptoid, Orang-Pendak, Monkey-Goblin, Grippli, Ghoran, and Dromite)

Alignment and Religion:
It is rare to find a truly evil Strix. They have a strong love of their communities and their personal freedoms, but never at the direct cost of others. They tend to favor more chaotic alignments, while falling somewhere between good and neutral.
They have a variety of faiths, no doubt from their constant explorations of the land. Much of their history and legends are taught around their campfires or hastily constructed hearths. Most believe that the greatest members of their race eventually become one with the constellations in the night sky when they die; a destiny usually reserved for their most praised discoverers, teachers, or explorers.

An odd tradition has begun to catch on among some of their communities, where they make pilgrimages to specific locations they have uncovered, spread out around the world. They believe that these strange ruins of some ancient civilization or people in these locations hold great secrets and power, but they lack the direct knowledge of unlocking them.

Adventurers:
N/A...

Ancalidormis
2016-02-14, 01:48 AM
Not happy with all of it, but its a start.

Lizardfolk +2 Strength, +2 Constitution, –2 Intelligence
Overview

Physical Description:
Lizardfolk resemble bipedal reptilian humanoids, standing between 6 and 7 feet tall and weight 200 to 250 pounds. Their powerful muscles are covered in scales of gray, green, or brown. Their heavy 4-foot-long tail drags on the ground behind them, allowing them remarkable stability on land. Lizardfolk are natural born swimmers, moving swiftly through the water with flicks of their powerful tails. While completely at home in the water, they still breathe air.

Lizardfolk are actually a combination of three closely-related species of lizardfolk, which have interbred into a wide variety of different subspecies. There are three main subspecies of lizardfolk, which can be usually identified by casual observation:
1) Crested: The most populous (and youngest) subspecies. Brightly colored crests and dorsal frills.
2) Spiked: The second subspecies. Short dorsal spikes on head, back, and tail. Blunted tail covered with long spikes.
3) Finned: The oldest subspecies, nearly extinct. Longer and thinner snout with a small dull crest and finned tail.

Society:
Lizardfolk are proud and powerful reptilian predators that make their communal homes in scattered villages deep within swamps and marshes. They are fiercely territorial over their claimed hunting grounds and homes, and show a deep reverence for nature. Most lizardfolk hunt and work during the day, as their reptilian blood makes them sluggish in the cold. At night, they retreat to their homes at night to curl up with other tribesmen in the shared warmth of large peat fires. They mate seasonally, laying several clutches of eggs, sometimes with different partners. The young are raised communally, without knowledge of who their direct parentage is.

They have no real cultural laws, besides the unnecessary killing or eating of their own people. They use tribal markers to denote their tribe’s hunting grounds. Most disputes or challenges are solved physically with wrestling matches to decide the outcome of the dispute. These matches are generally fought in front of the whole community to gain or restore honor. While these matches almost never fatal, it’s been known to happen in some rare cases. Regardless of the outcome though, the matter is generally considered settled upon the end of the fight, despite bruised egos and bloodied bodies.

Relations:
Lizardfolk are a bit of a challenge for most people. Lizardfolk are physically the largest race, known for their aggressive and standoffish demeanor. They are quick to react to challenges or insults with violence. They are equally feared for their mastery of the terrain they are found in and for the overwhelming fury in which they fight with. As for their tendency to consume the bodies of dead friends and enemies alike, the practical lizardfolk are quick to point out that life is hard in the swamp, and nothing should go to waste.

Their excessive pride is easy enough to satisfy by those who are experienced enough to know how. One good compliment can go a long way, so it’s good to occasionally compliment them on their strengths and deeds, without resorting to any gifts (which are seen as bribery and trickery) or excessive compliments.

Strix, Orang-Pendak, Monkey-Goblin, Grippli, Ghoran, Dromite, Catfolk

Alignment and Religion:
Although generally neutral aligned, most tend to be aggressive and standoffish. They are typically short-tempered, seeming to only barely keep their anger under control around others. When angered, they often react without thinking, which lends towards them favoring chaotic alignments.

Adventurers:
N/A...

Ancalidormis
2016-02-14, 04:48 AM
Tried to change the base premise of the creation story. The whole 'alternative food source for humans, until they evolved bodies to mimic humanoids, in attempt to stop them from being eaten' was sort of silly in my opinion. I always liked their appearances, but Id hate for them to be so static and unchanging. On earth, we have seasonal changes effecting the appearance of certain plants, why not here? I wanted them to reflect this by being a very alien race, so they have the ability to alter their appearance.

Im a big fan of Trills from star trek, so I felt like throwing in one of their taboos into the mix with their multi-generational relationship taboo.

=====

Ghoran
+2 Constitution, +2 Charisma, –2 Wisdom
Ghorans arose from plant life created by the Elohim on one of the distant moons of this solar system. When Ghorus was abandoned, tens of thousands of Ghorus Seeds were saved from destruction and brought to Jingara. Ghorans only produce a handful of Ghorus Seeds once every few centuries, so it’s a rare and cherished event. Ghorans are fanatically protective of these Ghoran seeds and consider destroying them the worst of crimes.

Physical Description:
Their bodies are somewhat morphic, they can effectively cultivate various types of living plant or fungi into their appearance with a few hours of meditation. Under intense stress or emotion, they also can change their appearance suddenly, usually in the form of a color change. For example, one Ghoran might create for themselves hair from vines, while another might grow a mushroom cap on its head. Another one might decide to grow little branches which can even bud flowers and fruit if they want to spend the effort. Another one could grow an intimidating crown of thorns. With the right living materials and some creative thinking, the Ghoran can do almost anything like this. Despite this ability to very effectively change their appearance, each Ghoran tends to have a specific trait, quirk, flaw, or blemish about their varying forms that makes them somewhat recognizable to those familiar with them.

Society:
Ghoran are not the most technologically advanced of cultures, but they make up for it in other ways. Their domain is perhaps the most peaceful regions of the world, due to their tireless work at protecting and patrolling it. Widely considered a boundless paradise, they have an unimaginable selection of Fruits, grains, insects, and vegetables in their markets, which are grown in hanging gardens or raised in captivity. They also have numerous small pets, such as climbing rodents, birds, bats, flying squirrels, and finger monkeys. Weapons, tools, and even shelters are made by hand from natural materials found around them.

Most Ghorans bond with one partner for a single given lifetime, but do not carry on these relationships beyond that one lifetime should they die and still pass on their seed, despite the passed on memories of their previous lives being retained by that seed. It’s a cultural taboo to carry on a romantic relationship with the same Ghoran after you passed on your seed to the next generation and died. They believe that it was a different life, which different experiences and that they must be living in this new one, not in the previous ones.

Relations:
They have this wild hedonistic side to them, which seems reckless at times to others. They love experimenting with new things, often against better judgement.

Strix, Lizardfolk, Orang-Pendak, Monkey-Goblin, Grippli, Dromite, Catfolk

Alignment and Religion:
Ghorans tend to favor neutral alignments.

While not all of them are religious, there are several traditions within their own culture. Ghoran are deeply in tune with nature, it’s only natural for them to take up the druidic ways. Some still worship the Elohim, pausing to pray to the Annulus each time it passes overhead. Some have no religion, but have sworn vows to nurture Jingara and protect it from destruction to the best of their abilities.

Adventurers:
N/A...