PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Building a fencer

DarkEternal
2016-02-06, 08:29 AM
Heya. Starting a new game soon at level 2, and I was thinking of building a fencer. You know, the rapier single hand wielding aristocrat. I liked the fluff of the school that basically makes you into a warrior noble so I'm gonna go with warlord with the Crimson Throne school being his major, with maybe a few moves from the Golden Lion subschool.

I'm here to ask to pimp up my fencer since I'm fairly new with Pathfinder, about the various feats that I might be willing to take, or even an archetype or two if that is something that will help out. I think I'm gonna focus on dealing damage, perhaps countering as much as possible and being really smug about it. As for races, human or half elf, maybe elf seem to be the norm of what I'm gonna play, though I'm open to other races as well as long as they are not some weird bestial thing that will get me shot on sight in this campaign setting. So, what are good things to take in terms of feats? Any that enhance the einhander style of fighting well?

Xerlith
2016-02-06, 11:06 AM
If you take a level in Swashbuckler, you will get a bonus feat, some counter-like Deeds which in turn will allow you to take some more interesting maneuvers.

And I think you'll benefit greatly from the Crimson Throne style feat from the Path of War Expanded. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?444869-Dreamscarred-Press-Path-of-War-Expanded!-(Thread-VII))

Geddy2112
2016-02-07, 01:43 AM
Yeah, swashbuckler is basically the fencer in Pathfinder. Having fenced for over a decade, I am pretty happy with what they did for the class. Being able to parry/riposte is a pretty important thing in fencing, and swashbucklers get that at level one. Worth at least a dip, if not being your main class.

Human and half elves are good at just about anything-humans are broad spectrum better, but either is solid. Elves generally don't make good frontliners but there are exceptions.

For feats, improved initiative is never bad, and improved critical/keen on your weapon is handy. Power attack is the main melee feat, unless you are going to get a straight dex to damage build, through something like fencing grace (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/fencing-grace-combat) or slashing grace, which is fencing grace but you can adapt a longsword.

Kira_the_5th
2016-02-07, 02:20 AM
If you're already going Warlord, there's no real reason to multiclass into swashbuckler. The base Warlord is probably your best bet, archetype-wise. If you have access to Path of War: Expended, I'd recommend picking up a few tricks from Tempest Gale, along with Quick Draw. That way, you've got access to some throwing daggers to provide a) a backup weapon, b) a mid-range option, and c) some flair.

As for feats, if your Strength is at least 13, go for Power Attack. Slashing/Fencing Grace is unnecessary if you have access to Deadly Agility, which you probably do since you're playing a Warlord to begin with. After that, I've found that you're pretty free to take what you want. I'm playing a similar build in my home game, and at level 5 I've picked up an Exotic Weapon Proficiency in dueling swords, Quick Draw for the throwing knives I mentioned earlier, and Squire to pick up an apprentice Standard Bearer Cavalier who I'm training into a Battle Herald. You can really just pick up anything that suits your concept once you've got the basics down.

Edit: Additional thoughts; Multiclassing into Swashbuckler is a terrible idea, considering action economy. Most deeds take up swift and immediate actions, which you would be using already as a Warlord on boosts and counters. While I could see arguments for always having a backup counter with OP&R, you can just use gambits to bring your counters back online if you need them.

Captain Morgan
2016-02-07, 01:18 PM
If you're already going Warlord, there's no real reason to multiclass into swashbuckler. The base Warlord is probably your best bet, archetype-wise. If you have access to Path of War: Expended, I'd recommend picking up a few tricks from Tempest Gale, along with Quick Draw. That way, you've got access to some throwing daggers to provide a) a backup weapon, b) a mid-range option, and c) some flair.

As for feats, if your Strength is at least 13, go for Power Attack. Slashing/Fencing Grace is unnecessary if you have access to Deadly Agility, which you probably do since you're playing a Warlord to begin with. After that, I've found that you're pretty free to take what you want. I'm playing a similar build in my home game, and at level 5 I've picked up an Exotic Weapon Proficiency in dueling swords, Quick Draw for the throwing knives I mentioned earlier, and Squire to pick up an apprentice Standard Bearer Cavalier who I'm training into a Battle Herald. You can really just pick up anything that suits your concept once you've got the basics down.

Edit: Additional thoughts; Multiclassing into Swashbuckler is a terrible idea, considering action economy. Most deeds take up swift and immediate actions, which you would be using already as a Warlord on boosts and counters. While I could see arguments for always having a backup counter with OP&R, you can just use gambits to bring your counters back online if you need them.

Actually, a two level dip in Swashbuckler has some merit. While Dodging Panache and Riposte both require immediate actions, Parry does not. This means you can rely on Parry to block attacks, and focus on using your swift actions for more proactive boosts over counters. This also can free up some Readied Maneuvers.

The other big thing is you can use the Practiced Initiator trait to not only keep your initiating level on track, but get access to a higher level maneuvers. Warlord 3 gets 7 level 1 maneuvers 1 level 2 maneuver. Swashbuckler 2/Warlord 1 gets 6 level 2 maneuvers. IMO, the power jump between maneuver levels makes this a fine choice. It does mean delaying the Warlord's other class features, but I think that can be justified as it's class features aren't quite as potent as a Harbinger's for example.

Ninjaxenomorph
2016-02-07, 01:44 PM
I'd say it depends on the power level of your game; the Swashbuckler and the Warlord are definitely on whole different levels. I like the warlord, but I can also appreciate how the Swashbuckler isn't as swift/immediate action heavy (while Warlords have gambits, boosts, counters, stances occasionally...)

Captain Morgan
2016-02-07, 02:37 PM
Oh, and if you are dedicating yourself to only use the rapier, consider the Inspired Blade. Free weapon focus and extra panache if you don't dump INT. Good for the dip.

I would definitely play a straight Warlord over a straight Swashbuckler though.

Sayt
2016-02-07, 06:05 PM
Crane Style/Wing/Parry+Osyluth Guile is great defense on a singleton sword wielder.

Personally, I would dip into Monk/Master of Many Styles, Dip into Swashbuckler, and then go full warlord.

DarkEternal
2016-02-08, 05:37 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I am most certainly interested in the Crimson Throne school because I love the fluff of it and the crunch is not half bad. I still have to decide whether to go strength or dex build. Initially, I wanted to go Dex, but the more I look at it, the more it seems like the strength route has more stuff available for it to build a more efficient character. I'll still have to look at it. Whether to go Deadly Agility-Slashing Grace- Piranha strike or whichever works best for a Dex build, or just go good old fashioned Power attack and bash things with my flimsy rapier.

Azoth
2016-02-08, 11:57 PM
If you don't mind a buckler on your other arm, Iron Tortoise is really good counters. Negating attacks/targeted spells with your buckler won't violate Crimson Throne's free hand requirement either. So a bit of AC if you go Straight based to make up for the lower Dex and some solid counters to round out your defense.

Florian
2016-02-09, 04:18 AM
I´m actually in favor of starting with a mix of Swashbuckler and Varisian Freestyle Fighter (around 5/3) before switching over to Warlord. OPaR is simply too good to miss out and having the flexibility to have two styles active is handy, especially for Crane and Kitsune style.