PDA

View Full Version : early game barbarian

geekintheground
2016-02-06, 12:01 PM
in the early game, and even further down the road, barbarians have very few rage uses per day. im about to join a new campaign, and was thinking of playing a barb from level 1, but the 1/day is kinda worrisome. im gonna ask if theres retraining, if there is i will totally be taking extra rage for the early levels, and maybe even keep it for the whole game

assuming no extra rage, when should i be using my singular rage?

Blackhawk748
2016-02-06, 12:10 PM
in the early game, and even further down the road, barbarians have very few rage uses per day. im about to join a new campaign, and was thinking of playing a barb from level 1, but the 1/day is kinda worrisome. im gonna ask if theres retraining, if there is i will totally be taking extra rage for the early levels, and maybe even keep it for the whole game

assuming no extra rage, when should i be using my singular rage?

Extra Rage is always worth it, even in the late game. Though, admittedly, that because most people dont take more than a few levels of Barbarian.

As for when to use it, whenever you feel its necessary. I saved it for "Mini-Bosses" and what not, so Ogres, Trolls, Bears etc. Big scary beatsticks.

ShurikVch
2016-02-06, 12:40 PM
If you will take Berserker Strength Barbarian variant, you will have potentially infinite Rage - any time you are below (5*Barbarian level) hp, your Berserker Strength will automatically activates.

eggynack
2016-02-06, 12:43 PM
Yeah, you typically take the first level for rage/whirling frenzy and spirit lion totem derived pounce, and the second level for wolf totem derived improved trip, and then no other levels. It's a class that is very front loaded that way. That doesn't change all that much without those ACF's either. That means you can just take the feat and then move on to bigger and better things, like a couple of fighter levels, or a cleric dip, or some prestige class. Barbarian is kinda weird like that, in that each of the first two levels gives something on the scale of two feats if you optimize, and then if you have indeed taken wolf totem then the third level gives you stone cold nothing where class features are concerned. Not like trap sense is exactly breaking the bank ordinarily anyway. And then, where your first rage use could justifiably be considered a feat, the second acts a whole lot more like half of one. So, yeah, lotsa words to justify a pretty simple claim right here.