PDA

View Full Version : Pls help build my own wild hunt...

Miranius
2016-02-06, 12:46 PM
Greetings playground!

So i am trying to build an arcane caster, probably around lvl 6 but no higher than lvl 10, that best approximates the archetypical hunter with a pack of hounds, or maybe even the wild hunt itself.

My thoughts up to now were to take Zhentarim Skymage (FRCS) to gain a Nightmare as a mount plus the feat Touch of Hate (PGTF) to gain perfectly obedient hounds that even grow stronger with each (humanoid) kill they consume.

That however is where my system-mastery ends, so i come to you wise ones to help me refine and detail the build into something fun and awesome :)

Any suggestions on spells, feats or classes are very much appreciated! Thanks :)

daremetoidareyo
2016-02-06, 12:55 PM
conjurer 5/Ranger 1/knight phantom X

Max out handle animal and get some dogs. Celestial familiar or improved familiar can get you a blink dog i think...Summon a bunch of fiendish wolves with summon monster 2. Once you get planar binding you can get steel predators and whatnot to hunt with you.

Albions_Angel
2016-02-06, 01:11 PM
So there are a couple of different routes you could go thematically. In the 5th (4th?) MM, there is a wild hunt, right in the back, made of flesh and blood. Then there is the Witcher 3 wild hunt, who are physical undead. I personally like a spectral wild hunt, and then there is the elvish or fey wild hunt, not a specific group of creatures that ARE the wild hunt, but a bunch of people who take part in A wild hunt.

Decide that, then work on the build.

daremetoidareyo
2016-02-06, 01:16 PM
So there are a couple of different routes you could go thematically. In the 5th (4th?) MM, there is a wild hunt, right in the back, made of flesh and blood. Then there is the Witcher 3 wild hunt, who are physical undead. I personally like a spectral wild hunt, and then there is the elvish or fey wild hunt, not a specific group of creatures that ARE the wild hunt, but a bunch of people who take part in A wild hunt.

Decide that, then work on the build.

Wildsoul actually works pretty well for a caster going into wild hunts. But the skill list is atrocious.

Albions_Angel
2016-02-06, 01:23 PM
Wildsoul actually works pretty well for a caster going into wild hunts. But the skill list is atrocious.

With a build concept like this, at some point you have to ask if you want it optimized. This forum, while not designed to be min/max (thats the min/max forums, oddly enough) does seem to think that anything less than tier 1 is pointless. As a general rule. It can make looking for something specific very difficult.

With a build like this, you have to take a step back and go "Wildsoul works really well... so screw the skills, thats what the party is for."

Miranius
2016-02-06, 02:52 PM
Thanks for all the replies up to now!

I read the wild hunt entry in the MM, but as they are 1) monsters and 2) waaaaayy higher in HD than the target character level, i sadly have to pass on that nasty piece of epicness ;)

With the Wild Soul, while fey-aligned, which i like thematically, i don't really see it helping the build as such. I don't get ride as a class skill, nor any offensive abilities that would suggest "hunter" for me.
I am not aiming for infinite-spells, trivializing encounters or things like that. It is however easier to have more options than you need, so optimize all you want. Dialing it down later is easier than the other way around ;)
Also i am not locked into fey, or anything else, thematically however, and not averse to trying to get my DM to refluff something else if you can think of something...

Anyways, keep the ideas coming, thanks :)

daremetoidareyo
2016-02-06, 03:54 PM
It won't jive with the levels you're going for, mortal hunter from BOVD could be fun.

I'm thinking totemist into mortal hunter could work nicely. Hunter's circlet gives you track. Dusklings are outsiders. Shape soulmeld can give you soulspark familiar and therefor alertness. Blink shirt makes you terrifying to run away from. This sort of defies your whole magic user focus, however.

Healer into BOED's unicorn based prestige class could work for a fiend hunter type build. Max out handle animal and diplomancy and train your unicorns to work with your warbeast templated Elven Hounds, whom you heal during combat because you're a healer. If drag mag is allowed, hearfire fanner dip is great to give the animals improved trip.