PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Looking for comments/critique on a couple different builds

RaynorReynolds
2016-02-06, 04:45 PM
Im looking to get some some feedback on a build now that I finally read through all of SCAG. This is a Shadow monk build. I know this isn't the hardest hitting monk subclass, but I like the abilities for the flavor and the multi-classing is just to enhance those abilities.

DISCLAIMER: This is for a campaign where we are starting at Level 3.

Build - Shadow Monk

Race: Halfling (Ghostwise)
Monk (shadow) 14 / Rogue (swashbuckler) 4 / Warlock (Fiend) 2

Point Buy:
Str - 8
Dex - 16 (14+2)
Con - 12
Wis - 16 (15+1)
Int - 10
Chr - 13

ASIs would go to getting Dex & WIS to 20. If you think there is a feat I should take instead of an ASI, let me know. Really the only reason for taking Warlock 2 is the Devils Sight incantation. I can't teleport anywhere if I can see where I am going (especially into magical Darkness). I am thinking of dropping it, but there isnt a good way to pick up nightvision without it. Dropping Warlock would give me another ASI and allow me to shift some points to Con.

Progression:

1-6 Monk
7-8 Warlock
9-12 Rogue
13-20 Monk

Spells:
Cantrips - Eldritch Blast, Minor Illusion
1st - Command, Hex

Gignere
2016-02-06, 04:48 PM
I have a few build ideas I wanted to post and get some feedback on now that I finally read through all of SCAG. The first is a Shadow monk build. I know this isn't the hardest hitting monk subclass, but I like the abilities for the flavor and the multi-classing is just to enhance those abilities. The second is a cleric/sorcerer build.

Build 1 - Shadow Monk

Monk (shadow) 14 / Rogue (swashbuckler) 3 / Warlock (Fiend, Pact of the Tome) 3

Point Buy:
Str - 10
Dex - 15 (+1 Forest Gnome, +1 Half Elf, +2 Lightfoot Halfling)
Con - 12
Wis - 11 (+1 Half Elf)
Int - 10 (+2 Forest Gnome)
Chr - 14 (+2 Half Elf, +1 Lightfoot Halfling)

I am leaning towards Half-Elf. ASIs would go to getting Dex to 20, then increasing Chr.

Progression:

I had a bit of trouble making up my mind with the progression and whether to take 4 rogue/2 warlock, or 3/3.

1-5 Monk (ASI, 2nd attack)
6-8 Rogue (prevent AoOs, bonus action goodies, sneak attack)
9-10 Warlock (pick up Devi's Sight, Armor of Shadows)
11-13 Monk (Teleportation, Evasion, ASI)
14 Warlock/Rogue
15-20 Monk

Spells:
Cantrips - Eldritch Blast, Minor Illusion
1st - Command, Hex
2nd - Blindness/Deafness, Mirror Image

So, does this seem viable? Should I choose a different Rogue subclass? Different Patron?

Second build to follow shortly.

I think getting lock early is better for a shadow monk. Having the ability to fight in total darkness/magical darkness already prevents AOOs anyway.

RaynorReynolds
2016-02-06, 05:13 PM
I think getting lock early is better for a shadow monk. Having the ability to fight in total darkness/magical darkness already prevents AOOs anyway.

I had the two switched around originally. The bonus action dash and hide plus the sneak attack felt more useful than seeing in the dark.

CaptAl
2016-02-06, 05:16 PM
Going to be a crap ton of competition for your bonus action between cunning action/flurry of blows/and hex moving around.

bid
2016-02-06, 05:36 PM
Str - 10
Dex - 15 (+1 Forest Gnome, +1 Half Elf, +2 Lightfoot Halfling)
Con - 12
Wis - 11 (+1 Half Elf)
Int - 10 (+2 Forest Gnome)
Chr - 14 (+2 Half Elf, +1 Lightfoot Halfling)

Monks have to be naked to use martial arts. This means AC14 and with that piddly Con12 you'll be dead quickly. Moreover, you'll need Wis13 to MC.

I don't think there's any way to get a viable monk with Cha. You need your ASI for Dex20 / Wis20 and AC20. At the very best, you can 8 16 14 8 16 12 (wood, ghostwise or half-elf) and get Cha14 when you need it.

That being said, you could reverse your build starting elf/halfling 8 16 14 9 14 14 or half-elf 8 16 14 9 13 16:
- swashbuckler 3
- warlock 2 (for AC13+Dex)
- monk 5
Since early monk must use bow (I've heard they can't survive melee), you don't lose much and you can get hex for your bow and do as much damage as a rogue 5. That, or go swashbuckler 4 / draconic sorcerer 1 for ASI and AC.

Foxhound438
2016-02-07, 11:53 PM
Wis - 11 (+1 Half Elf)

you need 13 wis to multiclass out of monk

RaynorReynolds
2016-02-28, 10:00 PM
I updated/correct a few things in my original post and posed some additional questions/options I have thinking of.