PDA

View Full Version : Combat Capable Mages

PunkManiak
2016-02-06, 04:56 PM
I'm a huge fan of RPGs and a fan of games like dark souls. One of my favorite builds I've tried recently is a very simple combat mage. The character carries a staff and spear. Although magic is the character's bread and butter in combat, the character also wields a spear that's enchanted to translate the character's magical power into additional raw physical damage. And then there's the dodging, is it even possible to make a combat capable mage like that in D&D?

Grod_The_Giant
2016-02-06, 04:59 PM
There are plenty of "gish" builds that use magic to layer on offensive and defensive buffs and wade into the fight with their choice of melee weapons. There's also the Duskblade (PHB 2), which has armor and weapon skill natively, and a list full of offensive spells he channels through his weapon-- anyone he stabs gets hit by the spell as well. Is that the sort of thing you're after?

PunkManiak
2016-02-06, 05:18 PM
There are plenty of "gish" builds that use magic to layer on offensive and defensive buffs and wade into the fight with their choice of melee weapons. There's also the Duskblade (PHB 2), which has armor and weapon skill natively, and a list full of offensive spells he channels through his weapon-- anyone he stabs gets hit by the spell as well. Is that the sort of thing you're after?

Not quite the kind of weapon I'm talking about would have to be able to roll damage with wisdom or intelligence. It would also help to be able to scale AC with both Dex and wisdom to make a Mage like this.

Necroticplague
2016-02-06, 05:23 PM
Are you set on the weapon being physical? I'm pretty sure there's a spell that makes a spear out of lightning that gets your casting stat to attack and damage.

Demidos
2016-02-06, 05:32 PM
Start with a cleric base.
--You have spells and decent combat ability.

Get a belt of the Monk for the wisdom to AC. Get a +1 Defending weapon. Cast Greater Magic Weapon on it every day. Use the spell greater luminous armor.
-- You should dodge just about anything

Add Righteous Might, Divine Power (Spells) and Divine Might to your build. Get Divine Metamagic Persist with a Nightstick if you want to be able to fight VERY well all day instead of just pretty well.
--You can channel your mage-yness into your attacks for bonus damage.

Basically, a simple version of the Cleric-Zilla (look it up, if you care). You could theoretically make a stronger fighter, but this one is decently powerful even if all its spells are dispelled.

Grod_The_Giant
2016-02-06, 09:05 PM
Not quite the kind of weapon I'm talking about would have to be able to roll damage with wisdom or intelligence. It would also help to be able to scale AC with both Dex and wisdom to make a Mage like this.
Mmm... Shiba Protector from Oriental Adventures is a PrC that, with a one-level investment, lets you add your Wisdom modifier to both attack and damage. Intuitive Strike (Book of Exalted Deeds) lets you replace Strength with Wisdom when making attacks with simple or natural weapons, letting you get the bonus twice; Zen Archery (Complete Warrior) does the same for ranged weapons. Monk, of course, is the classic way to get Wis to AC; a Monk's belt does it too, and Swordsage (Tome of Battle) does it perhaps better-- a two-level dip, but it works in light armor. (Another two levels gets you Wis to damage with strikes). It would be easy enough to dip Shiba Protector on a divine caster of some description.

Troacctid
2016-02-06, 09:27 PM
Swordsages add Wisdom to damage and AC, and can use it for attack rolls with spears and staves (and other weapons) via the Intuitive Attack feat. They don't have spells per se, but they have a fair amount of magical abilities.

Hiro Quester
2016-02-07, 12:12 AM
Are you set on the weapon being physical? I'm pretty sure there's a spell that makes a spear out of lightning that gets your casting stat to attack and damage.

Thunderlance. An expandable lance of force that can be 5 ft to 20 ft long. Uses your casting stat for attack and 3d6+ casting stat instead of strength for damage.