PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Blade Singer/ Mystic *Help Needed*

GodslayerINC
2016-02-06, 07:06 PM
I'm working on a back up character for an upcoming campaign. I tend to like hybrid/utility type characters and I have a sneaking suspicion that no one will make a frontline high AC build. My other character is a Full plate poor dex Pally/Sorc. For my second option I'm looking at building a dex based utility tank and Bladesinger came to mind.

The only real odd ball thing about the campaign is there are no ASI allowed, you must take feats instead. Starting level is 5. Standard point buy.

Right now I'm looking at 2 Mystic/3 Blade Singer to start with the end goal being 6 Mystic/14 Blade Singer. The extra 4 levels of Mystic are to get Psionic Weapon for some nova damage (Which Bladesinger lacks from my understanding).

Race
Eladrin (If non elf is allowed Feral Tiefling or Deep gnome are also options)

Stats
Str 8
Dex 17
Con 14
Int 16
Wis 10
Cha 8

Feats
4 Wizard Resilient (Dex)
8 Wizard Toughness
12 Wizard ???
4 Mystic ???

Disciplines
Celerity - Passive focus for adv on Initiative and movement
Mind Vault- This is a utility dream, just so many things to do
Third Eye- I'm pretty sure we have a warlock playing, this is so I don't get hosed by darkness but has other uses.

Spells
Cantrips
Mind thrust (Psionic) Int save shove. Good for pushing things away from myself or protecting others in a ‘Tankish’ manner.

Frostbite - Disadv. on next attack
Chill touch- Undead Disadv. till next turn Anti healing
Flambolt- Pew-Pew ???

Memorized Spells
1st
Mage Armor - Given
Shield- Also Given
Absorb elements- Still seems like a given

2nd
Mirror Image
Darkness
???

Any suggestion or improvements to be made at Level 5? Has anyone played Bladesinger/Mystic in an actual campaign? Spell combo’s for this sort of play style? Any feats or combination of feats that fit well with this play style?

bid
2016-02-06, 07:47 PM
You might want to start bladesinger 5 for fireball and get mystic after.

Tough is best on low-HD classes like wizard, good plan.

Savage attacker is about +2 damage per turn.
Defensive duelist can shore up your defense.
Mobile, lucky and healer are always useful.
Spell sniper for firebolt / melf's acid arrow / scorching ray.
Is observant + keen mind cheating?

GodslayerINC
2016-02-06, 08:18 PM
Thank you for the reply Bid

I've never done Bladesinger (I've always done Pally/sorc for Melee caster) How much am I handicapping myself If i stay away from blasting spells sticking to buffs and CC while I let my sword do my talking (or singing).

I forgot about Lucky (I actually nerf it when I DM) but if the DM leaves it alone it is a really good choice for an AC build (Screw you Nat 20)

I have never understood how often people recommend Defensive duelist. I can get +2-6 to AC against 1 attack of +5 against all attacks that round. I totally get it if you don't have access to shield but otherwise I don't see many better options for a lv 1 slot. (For most builds)

I assume by cheating you are asking if feats with ASI are allow, if so yes they are allowed. I've looked at it and that would give me an 18 Int at least. Observant isn't horrid but Linguist and Keen mind are pretty bad.

If I leave my stats at 18 dex and 16 Int I have a 20-22 (Haste/cover) +5 from shield which puts me at 25-27 AC and lots of way to force disadv. I THINK that will be enough AC under most situations. I think I'd get more protection out of lucky than +1 AC.

bid
2016-02-06, 08:38 PM
I've never done Bladesinger (I've always done Pally/sorc for Melee caster) How much am I handicapping myself If i stay away from blasting spells sticking to buffs and CC while I let my sword do my talking (or singing).
You are a full wizard. If you only buff yourself why not go EK with a dip of wizard/sorcerer.
Treantmonk’s Guide to Wizards, Being a god: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1IeOXWvbkmQ3nEyM2P3lS8TU4rsK6QJP0oH7HE_v67QY/edit

I have never understood how often people recommend Defensive duelist. I can get +2-6 to AC against 1 attack of +5 against all attacks that round. I totally get it if you don't have access to shield but otherwise I don't see many better options for a lv 1 slot. (For most builds)
Every round, vs 4 times a day. I agree it's not the best option.

CaptAl
2016-02-06, 09:49 PM
I would recommend dropping firebolt for booming blade. No, it doesn't work with extra attack, but it does force an opponent to either stay put or take damage. Great for melee stickiness. Warcaster would shore up your con save, while allowing you to booming blade the bad guy who's trying to squash your squishies as well. With frost bite and icy touch your ranged attacks are solid without firebolt.

GodslayerINC
2016-02-06, 10:12 PM
I would recommend dropping firebolt for booming blade. No, it doesn't work with extra attack, but it does force an opponent to either stay put or take damage. Great for melee stickiness. Warcaster would shore up your con save, while allowing you to booming blade the bad guy who's trying to squash your squishies as well. With frost bite and icy touch your ranged attacks are solid without firebolt.

Booming blade might be a better choice! Warcaster + Booming blade together make each other look more appealing as well. I would already have a potential +11 on Con saves + Adv so it is ok but not exceptional. But If the provoke an AOO Booming Blade forces them to stay or take extra damage.

So right now I'm leaning towards Resilient (Dex), Toughness, Lucky and Warcaster as my 4 feats.

Any feedback from anyone that has played a Bladesinger/Mystic? One of the biggest reasons I like the idea on paper is the first few lvs of mystic add a lot of versatility and then lv 5 & 6 add Nova options with Psychic Weapon. Also with the DM already nerfing our top end stats I figure the +3 to hit from augment weapon will come in handy in the late game.

Corran
2016-02-06, 10:30 PM
I know this is not what you are looking for, but since you are limited to only taking feats, why dont you create a build that can make the most out of them?
Here is a thought. It wont be dex-based as you want, but think of what you can do with a polearm master, warcaster, spell sniper, mobile build that has access to BB. As I said, not what you are looking for, but that is some nice feat synergy.
With a human variant EK you can have all of those feats by level 8, and for your 4 rest feats you can take resilient wisdom, tough, lucky and alert. All useful additions.

bid
2016-02-06, 10:56 PM
I would recommend dropping firebolt for booming blade.
That works better if you get mobile or dip swashbuckler 3 since you can hit-and-run. It really becomes good at level 11 when it beats your extra attack, I would get GFB now and BB at level 10.

Warcaster is iffy:
- song of defense reduces damage, making concentration rolls less likely
- you always have a free hand
- you aren't a tank, creatures will attack you and not run to another target
- mystic 4 gives you Con proficiency on demand
- you will probably concentrate on blur

At level 5 you have 4 cantrips
- GFB (because it uses Dex)
- chilled touch (ranged)
- 2 utilities (friends, mage hand, minor illusion, prestidigitation)
You don't need to double-up on damage, one is enough.

GodslayerINC
2016-02-07, 09:00 AM
I know this is not what you are looking for, but since you are limited to only taking feats, why dont you create a build that can make the most out of them?
Here is a thought. It wont be dex-based as you want, but think of what you can do with a polearm master, warcaster, spell sniper, mobile build that has access to BB. As I said, not what you are looking for, but that is some nice feat synergy.
With a human variant EK you can have all of those feats by level 8, and for your 4 rest feats you can take resilient wisdom, tough, lucky and alert. All useful additions.

I have a "Heavy" tank variant already worked up. I won't know what the other players are bringing to the table till later today though so that is why I wanted to have a plate knight and then a light armored faster light tank.

That works better if you get mobile or dip swashbuckler 3 since you can hit-and-run. It really becomes good at level 11 when it beats your extra attack, I would get GFB now and BB at level 10.

Warcaster is iffy:
- song of defense reduces damage, making concentration rolls less likely
- you always have a free hand
- you aren't a tank, creatures will attack you and not run to another target
- mystic 4 gives you Con proficiency on demand
- you will probably concentrate on blur

At level 5 you have 4 cantrips
- GFB (because it uses Dex)
- chilled touch (ranged)
- 2 utilities (friends, mage hand, minor illusion, prestidigitation)
You don't need to double-up on damage, one is enough.

Celerity Discipline give me bonus action disengage. not quite as good as swash but still viable for when guerrilla tactics are needed. I do agree with most of your points on warcaster. In most situations it will be 'Win more" however I fail to see how 27 AC, resistance and good important saves do not make me a "Tank". I comes down to the DM but when a monster attacks 3-4 times getting nothing but air I feel like most intelligent creatures would begin to doubt their tactics. Also I would NEVER concentrate on blur, Darkness and Heavy Obscure spells are better in 99% of those situations. At higher level it will be a defense or offense choice with Bigbsy or Animate object or even middle ground with haste.