PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next MTG D&D Wizard, wizard archetype(WIP)

dokugin
2016-02-07, 04:16 AM
Prototype idea for a Wizard from magic the gathering into a wizard archetype. For the big MTG D&D project over in this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?474659-Magic-The-Gathering-5e-overhaul-project-WIP)

Wizards are masters of channeling mana into powerful spells. They are ubiquitous throughout the known multiverse and are known to nearly every race. Wizards come by their powers in different ways: Some study for years on end to unlock the secrets of magic, while others are just born with the knack. Some wizards come together in huge schools or guilds to pool their resources and train neophytes. Wizards range across all five colors but are concentrated in blue, the color of knowledge. In the game, the color blue contains nearly twice as many wizards as any other two colors combined. The distant second color for the most wizards is black followed closely by white.

In contrast to shamans or druids, wizards take a methodical approach to magic. And while priests and clerics power their spells with their faith, wizards need years of practice to master their spells. Wizards are more versatile than simple spellshapers.(MTG Salvation)

Prismatic Savant
Select a color as your main color identity. A wizard may learn spells in that color and the colors adjacent. For example, a white wizard can also learn green and blue spells. The gold and time you must spend to copy a spell of your primary color identity into your spellbook is halved.

https://image.jimcdn.com/app/cms/image/transf/none/path/sb1df218019fb8c52/image/i7d4fd188f19edeea/version/1454440285/image.png
Link to spell list (http://mtgdnd.jimdo.com/spell-colors/)(Subject to change)

White:White puts value in the group, the community, and its civilization as a whole. White's ultimate goal is peace, harmony, and perfection — a world where everyone gets along and no one seeks to disturb the bonds of unity that White had worked so long to forge. To govern and protect its community, White makes use of and puts value in a number of broad concepts; morality (ethics, grace, truth), order (law, discipline, duty), uniformity (conformity, religion), and structure (government, planning, reason). White is a color commonly associated with good and justice, but if leave it alone and free, white can become authoritarian, inflexible and capable of sacrificing a small group for the sake of a larger one. Everything necessary to preserve the laws, rules and governance that white created.(MTG salvation)

Blue:Blue is the color that looks on the world and sees opportunity. For Blue, life is a chance to contemplate oneself, and what is possible, and to bring about the best of both. Implicitly, in that general world view, Blue believes in tabula rasa: it sees in each thing, the potential for being anything. One need only understand how, to make the change. So with this ill-formed goal before it, Blue reasons that if it is to make itself better, it must become capable of everything it could be capable of, for that is to "merely add" to its own capabilities. Blue believes it can't possibly be bad to acquire the potential for any conscious action. Thus, Blue, believing it is capable of changing anything if it understands the change, and believing it is imperative that it acquire every capability it could have, concludes that it is imperative that it understand change. Moreover, Blue decides that it must understand everything; for truly, understanding can only improve one's effectiveness in any task. To gain understanding, Blue must acquire knowledge. Since knowledge itself will inform every other decision, Blue forms its principle goal: omniscience, the knowledge of all.(MTG salvation)

Black:Black is the color of self-indulgence, parasitism, amorality and unfettered desire for power. It believes that the world is made for its taking and that the weak exist to be exploited by the strong. The essence of Black is to see one's own ego[1] as so supremely invaluable, that the prospect of enslavement, of subordinating that ego to another, is utterly inadmissible. So, to be in accord with its perceptions and beliefs, Black simply must discard all obligations but to acquire power for itself. It can be no less than the one supreme being who is subordinate to no other, the possessor of all power in the universe - it must become omnipotent. This does not mean that black is evil, is more like a pessimist or even a realist. Black sees the world as a place of struggle and pain, and if black wants to survive in such a place, it needs power. Maybe is not the best world, maybe is not a happy choice and some people will suffer, but black didn't make the rules and is determined to accept the truth and get what it wants by any means necessary.(MTG salvation)

Red:Above all else, red values freedom of expression. It wants to do what it wants, when it wants, to whom it wants, and nobody can tell it otherwise. Red loves life much more than any other color and so it believes that all people must live to its fullest. Red believes that life would be much more fun if everyone stopped caring about rules, laws and personal appearances and just spent their time indulging their desires. This leads into red's other core value: chaos. Red sees order of any kind as pointlessly inhibiting, believing that only through embracing anarchy could everyone really be free to enjoy life to the fullest. Finally, Red is the color of immediate action and immediate gratification. If it wants something it will act on its impulses and take it, regardless of the consequences.(MTG salvation)

Green:Green is the color of nature, growth, interdependence and instinct. It believes that obeying the natural order alone is the best way to exist and thus favors a simplistic way of living in harmony with the rest of the world. Green accepts the world as it is and tries to coexist with it instead of trying to change it, regulate it, norm it, or take advantage of it. This can often lead to it be perceived as a pacifistic color, as it does not seek to make conflict with the other colors as long as they leave it alone and do not disrespect nature. However, it is fierce when it feels threatened and can be predatory and aggressive if its instincts dictate.(MTG salvation)

2nd level feat, too tired to make

6th level feat

10th level feat

14th level feat

Don't have much experience with making archetypes. Would love feedback and suggestions on how to better balance it so that no matter what color you pick you can have a good time. If you have any better ideas for archetype features let me know! Also if you are interested you should check out the Big MTG D&D thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?474659-Magic-The-Gathering-5e-overhaul-project-WIP) and add you voice to the discussion.

PoeticDwarf
2016-02-07, 02:24 PM
Same as with your cleric. Only filling in "you choose a color too tired to make other stuff" (not too tired for all the fluff ?). Then we can't give feedback. Please post after making some more

Durazno
2016-02-07, 03:24 PM
I'd recommend linking the spell color list from MAL1CE's document, too.

dokugin
2016-02-07, 03:46 PM
Same as with your cleric. Only filling in "you choose a color too tired to make other stuff" (not too tired for all the fluff ?). Then we can't give feedback. Please post after making some more
After finishing the fluff I was falling asleep at the keyboard, but will fill in the feats I promise. Also While the cleric and wizard arent finished why not hop over and comment on the more filled out guildmages (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?477626-MTG-D-amp-D-Guildmage-warlock-archetype(WIP)) and spellshapers (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?477624-MTG-D-amp-D-Spellshaper-sorcerers-archetype(WIP))?

I'd recommend linking the spell color list from MAL1CE's document, too.
Good idea thank you.

MAL1CE
2016-02-09, 08:42 AM

To be fair, this was more my idea than his. A wizard in the mtg setting as I have it is almost exactly the same as the original 5e wizard. He has all the same class features and spell list with this alteration. He chooses a primary color and then picks wizard spells from within his three colors and colorless. Halving the price and time for his primary color was dokugin's idea, but I quite like it.

dokugin
2016-02-09, 03:22 PM
To be fair, this was more my idea than his. A wizard in the mtg setting as I have it is almost exactly the same as the original 5e wizard. He has all the same class features and spell list with this alteration. He chooses a primary color and then picks wizard spells from within his three colors and colorless. Halving the price and time for his primary color was dokugin's idea, but I quite like it.

As he MAL1CE says, just trying to get discussion and ideas going to better flesh out these this project.