PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Masterwork Item for Intimidate?

Palanan
2016-02-07, 11:13 AM
Does Pathfinder allow the use of a masterwork item for Intimidate checks? I've looked through the CRB plus the PRD and couldn't find anything definite, though that could just be my search-fu.

Assuming it's feasible, could a metal-bound greatclub be used as the masterwork item, in addition to its ordinary use as a weapon?

Maxrim
2016-02-07, 11:29 AM
I don't know as far as the rules go, but at my table that'd be pushing it, you could use a metal-bound greatclub only if it was well known as something you'd committed atrocities with, or if, say, you had a string of dried ears and shrunken heads hanging from it. In more tactful situations, gang colors or the symbols/what have you of the local enforcers/mafia/criminal's guild, which would require some time making use of Gather Information.

DrMotives
2016-02-07, 12:59 PM
I'm not familiar with Pathfinder specifically, but one of the last Dragon magazine articles had a bunch of new masterwork options for weapons & armor, including an "ornate" mod for masterwork armor that could be build for either a diplomacy or intimidate bonus. Think the classic evil warlord armor from most fantasy art.

Grod_The_Giant
2016-02-07, 01:56 PM
Does Pathfinder allow the use of a masterwork item for Intimidate checks? I've looked through the CRB plus the PRD and couldn't find anything definite, though that could just be my search-fu.

Assuming it's feasible, could a metal-bound greatclub be used as the masterwork item, in addition to its ordinary use as a weapon?
In 3.5 at least there was a generic "masterwork item" entry. A scary-looking weapon seems reasonable as a masterwork Intimidate tool.

Darth Ultron
2016-02-07, 02:25 PM
The masterwork item for skills in Pathfinder is both in the core book and Ultimate Equipment. They are a bit vague and leave a lot open for DMs. The circumstance bonus for such a tool should never be more than +2. The tool should either have a limited number of uses (such as the disguise and healer’s kits) or only apply to certain aspects of the skill (such as the balancing pole’s bonus on Acrobatics checks to traverse a narrow surface or the magnifying glass’s bonus on Appraise checks for detailed items).

I think intimidate is vague enough for a generic item. Ornamental spikes, for example.

inuyasha
2016-02-07, 02:40 PM
I'd allow for a masterwork mask that's a very well carved leering demon face, allowing for a +2 on intimidate checks to demoralize an opponent. Alternatively, if you're part of an organization like the empire from Star Wars, I'd allow for some sort of badge of your significance, giving a +2 on intimidate checks to influence another person's attitude.

Geddy2112
2016-02-08, 12:09 AM
If you are a bard and you have a versatile performance that can be used to intimidate (comedy, keyboard, percussion) then any masterwork instrument used to give a +2 to said performance can give a +2 to intimidate.

Eox
2016-02-08, 01:19 AM
I'm playing a Hibhka wizard (Birdman race from Akashic Mysteries) and my DM let me grab a set of dentures for a masterwork intimidate tool. Ain't nothing scarier than a bird with teeth.

Psyren
2016-02-08, 11:51 AM
In 3.5 at least there was a generic "masterwork item" entry. A scary-looking weapon seems reasonable as a masterwork Intimidate tool.

Seconding this - ornamental skulls on your weapons or armor are a typical accoutrement of fantasy iconography.

I'm playing a Hibhka wizard (Birdman race from Akashic Mysteries) and my DM let me grab a set of dentures for a masterwork intimidate tool. Ain't nothing scarier than a bird with teeth.

Boy howdy:

http://orig04.deviantart.net/7055/f/2015/211/a/8/five_nights_at_freddy_s_4_fnaf_chica_jumpscare_by_ dubstepcreeperz-d93f180.png

stack
2016-02-08, 01:21 PM
Oversized dentist tools.

Florian
2016-02-08, 02:01 PM

Weapons, even masterwork and magic ones, are common enough to be not scary at all in your regular fantasy world, so they do not give any special boni to Intimidate. Heck, everyone and their dog has one, so what should you be intimidated about it?

ExLibrisMortis
2016-02-08, 02:22 PM
http://www.hinduhumanrights.info/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Headdress-e1394822145218-700x500.jpg

It's just about making you look more impressive. Skulls, spikes and demon faces are strictly optional. I would allow the combination of an item for Intimidate and Diplomacy, similar to the combination of Tumble, Jump, Balance, Hide, Move Silently and Climb into a set of (expensive) clothing. Of course, you pay for each skill.