PDA

View Full Version : Player Help [PATHFINDER] Need help with Gestalt build: Pathfinder/Swashbuckler

kinztastic
2016-02-07, 12:05 PM
I'm not necessarily looking for the most broken or min-maxed way to play this, but I was wondering what a good way to play this was? As of now I was going for a dex-driven build with strength as my dump stat.

7 STR
18 DEX
12 CON
10 INT
10 WIS
16 CHARISMA

I was wondering if that's the best option to go for a melee build with these two classes, and if either duel wielding or picking up a shield might be viable? What could make this more interesting? I mmight end up taking rapier and inspired blade, though I was trying to play this character somewhat subtle due for RP reasons, and if you have a rapier, everyone kind of knows your a swashbuckler? But I guess I can deal with that. I"m just trying to figure what I should do in terms of feats, skills, and what direction to go to make this combat viable? I don't intend on taking heavy armor and have never played either of these classes, so a little help and input would be appreciated. He's likely going to be human or half-elf.

Denomar
2016-02-07, 02:28 PM
Well, my experience with a swashbuckler was mostly before some of their abilities got updated.

Two Weapon Fightning is a no go, because your class abilities as a swashbuckler require you to fight einhander, so nothing in your off hand.

Generally speaking if you are focusing on damage than the feat Slashing Grace is probably going to give you the best returns on value, letting you add dex to damage (but only with a one handed slashing weapon that is treated as piercing) meaning the best bet you have is to use a scimitar (guess its time to rp as a pirate).

Additionally Piranha Strike is your version of Power Attack and will add significantly more damage to your attacks as well.

in terms of other feats, I couldn't tell you much. When I played a swashbuckler it was as originally written where you could make as many opportune parry's as you had attacks of opportunity and you could use signature deed to reduce its cost such that they were free and only cost one panache point and an immediate action to riposte.

That has since been changed so parry can't have its cost reduced, and signature deed only reduces costs a few times per day.

As for the Pathfinder class. I might be being obtuse, but is that a place holder for any other pathfinder class or am I missing something? If so, look at the Unchained Rogue. Lots of dex based synergy there.

kinztastic
2016-02-07, 03:05 PM
GOd dangit I listed it wrong. I'm a -PALADIN SWASHBUCKLER- For some reason I typed Pathfinder.

Arutema
2016-02-07, 08:46 PM
With 7 str, your light load limit is 23 lbs. With that carrying capacity, you can probably forget about wearing any armor due to its weight. This is not terrible if you have a caster willing and able to throw mage armor your way. But keep the weight of weapons, buckler, and handy haversack in mind as well.

Wis is not terrible to dump on a swash//pal, as you'll get cha to your will save via divine grace.

Speaking of caster buddies, use magic device is never a bad investment of skill points on a cha-heavy build. If traits are in play, use a trait to make it a class skill. My PFS swaskbuckler carries and uses wands of mage armor, longstrider, cure light wounds, and magic missile.

kinztastic
2016-02-08, 12:58 PM
With 7 str, your light load limit is 23 lbs. With that carrying capacity, you can probably forget about wearing any armor due to its weight. This is not terrible if you have a caster willing and able to throw mage armor your way. But keep the weight of weapons, buckler, and handy haversack in mind as well.

Wis is not terrible to dump on a swash//pal, as you'll get cha to your will save via divine grace.

Speaking of caster buddies, use magic device is never a bad investment of skill points on a cha-heavy build. If traits are in play, use a trait to make it a class skill. My PFS swaskbuckler carries and uses wands of mage armor, longstrider, cure light wounds, and magic missile.

Eh, we dont' really play by weight capacity rules, we just keep it reasonable so long as people don't abuse it. I'm going fencing grace anyways. I'm only wearing light armor anyways. Also wisdom is never dumpable due to perception for me. THe most useful skill in the game for both RP and minmax bs reasons.

Florian
2016-02-08, 02:45 PM
Paladin/Swashbuckler? Really? That literally screams classic Musketier ...

Sounds counter-intuitive, but you might actually consider going Halfling on this one. The stat spread is simply too good for that. Once you get the whole static damage and Smite going, the actual damage dice of your weapon ceases to be interesting anymore.
Mounted Combat deserves a special note here. When mounted up, your lance is a one-handed piercing weapon for all purposes...

Geddy2112
2016-02-08, 03:08 PM
I second potentially being a halfling and going mounted when you get your divine bond- it's a bit unusual with a swashbuckler, but it would be solid. The medium mount is the seller here, as you can take it almost anywhere. Also might consider the mouser archetype if you go small size. If you are going to use a rapier, it is basically a straight upgrade to go with the inspired blade archetype. You mentioned a shield, and you can use a buckler with the swashbuckler skills, so might as well for the bonus and something to stack enhancements on.

For skills, intimidate should be maxed because it synergies with your menacing swordplay deed. If you are going to get a mount then take ride, if not pass. Acrobatics synergies with your swashbuckler's grace and dizzying defense. Even if you don't max it, take 3 ranks to get a poor man's combat expertise. Second UMD just for being a CHA based class-you can use a wand in your off hand without any penalty. Perception is obvious, and the social skills (bluff, diplomacy) are class skills if you wanna be the face. Put a rank in your knowledges, and eventually every class skill if you can spare just for the bonus.

Since you have pally, greater mercy is always a solid choice. You obviously need slashing/fencing grace as a feat ASAP, and piranha strike to really stack on the damage. Battle cry is a great feat for any CHA based character, as is combat reflexes for a dex based character(extra important for parries). Antagonzie is a great one with your intimidate and heal. Once you hit 11, get signature deed for opportune parry and riposte.

Florian
2016-02-08, 03:43 PM
Lol, yes, Fencing Grace and Spirited Charge with active Smite Evil will lead to gruesome results and pretty much leads to overkill in regard to melee damage pretty hard and fast.
As Swashbucklers count as Fighters for prereq-purposes, IŽd "milk" that class for all that its worth, meaning Disruptive/Spellbreaker and WepSpec/GrWepSpec in preference to more regular feats like Power Attack, capping it out with Dazing Assault and Strike Back. You have the bonus feats, put them to use.
Further I would not advance Swashbuckler beyond lvl 12, if it comes to that. At that point, switch over to Cavalier/Samurai/(or Bard in a pinch) to round out our abilities.