PDA

View Full Version : Feat advice wanted!

StiXFletcher
2016-02-07, 01:50 PM
I'm currently playing a sun soul monk/light domain cleric, any advice or ideas for a feat to take would be great!

My DM is letting me change my variant human feat since I'm new to D&D and multiclassing has over ridden the magic initiate (cleric) that I had initially.

Sir cryosin
2016-02-07, 02:27 PM
War caster, spell caster, lucky,

bid
2016-02-07, 03:27 PM
This is the only feat you'll get since you have to get Dex20 / Wis20 to shore up your unarmored defense.

Mobile is the most active choice since you can weave out of melee range without getting opportunity attacks. Radiant sun bolt is ok if you are too far, but you still have a bonus unarmed attack to use.

Observant and tough are passive and maybe boring. At least with observant you can readjust your stats to get something like 10 16 14 10 16 8.

Mage slayer goes against your sun soul ranged choice.

Alert and healer are good fallback if nothing tickles your fancy.

My opinion is get mobile or change race to half-elf, wood elf or ghostwise halfling. I don't think there's anything else worthwhile.

StiXFletcher
2016-02-07, 03:36 PM
I have been thinking one of the following; Alert, Lucky, Mobile, Magic Initiate or Tough.

Alert, Lucky, and Tough are pretty self explanatory and all potentially good.

Mobile is good for not provoking opportunity attacks and the extra movement so that the 30ft range of Sun Bolt can effectively increased and it helps to mitigate cover but Magic Initiate also provides this. I was thinking Druid and taking Shillelagh (which would mean I could focus on boosting Wis and still boost melee damage) and Longstrider for when I need to move to maximise Sun Bolt. I'd probably go for Mending as the second cantrip since my DM uses a house rule that means that weaker weapons can break on critical hits/fails and mid level weapons break on critical fails.

Slipperychicken
2016-02-07, 03:36 PM
Resilient(Con) and War Caster are both good for your concentration spells. War Caster also lets you sacred flame people as an attack of opportunity.

StiXFletcher
2016-02-07, 03:41 PM
Resilient is cool but Monks eventually get prof. in all saving throws so it seems a bit of a waste. The concentration bit could be good but my Con is alright atm. As for the attack of opportunity as a monk my melee attack damage is the same as my Sun Bolt damage.

bid
2016-02-07, 03:52 PM
War Caster also lets you sacred flame people as an attack of opportunity.
Warcaster is an utter waste. He has a free hand and if he ever gets to OA anyone, he'll do enough with a monk attack.

StiXFletcher
2016-02-07, 03:56 PM
I have a quarterstaff and a free hand to use 'deflect missile'. Hence why I'm thinking Magic Initiate atm to use Shillelagh to boost the staff to a d8+5 damage over d6+3 without.

bid
2016-02-07, 05:33 PM
I have a quarterstaff and a free hand to use 'deflect missile'. Hence why I'm thinking Magic Initiate atm to use Shillelagh to boost the staff to a d8+5 damage over d6+3 without.
There's nothing in martial arts that forbids you from using a quarterstaff 2-handed. Isn't your Dex higher than your Wis already?

StiXFletcher
2016-02-07, 05:41 PM
Nothing in Martial Arts no but I need a free hand for deflect missile, sun bolt and to use my spell focus. Dex and Wis are both 16 but that's only +3 where as it would be a +5.

bid
2016-02-07, 06:16 PM
Nothing in Martial Arts no but I need a free hand for deflect missile, sun bolt and to use my spell focus. Dex and Wis are both 16 but that's only +3 where as it would be a +5.
See errata: Two-Handed (p. 147). This property is relevant only when you attack with the weapon, not when you simply hold it.

As long as you put your free hand on the weapon only for the attack, you're golden.

I have no idea where you get your +5... I don't see anything beside the Wis mod of +3.

StiXFletcher
2016-02-08, 03:15 AM
Ah yeah you're right on both. Misread I bit I think.