PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Unarmed Swordsage

Kesnit
2016-02-07, 04:22 PM
I am running a 3.5 version of World's Largest Dungeon for 4 players, one of whom is my wife. In the last session, I killed her character (and the party Cleric). The Cleric got Resurrected, but my wife's character did not (her choice). My wife had previously told me that if her PC died, she would let me build her next character, an "optimized Monk." Obviously, I am interpreting that as an unarmed Swordsage.

That said, I'm not really sure where to go with it. I've built a SS before, but never got to play it. Also, that PC was built for me, and included maneuvers that did things beyond "lots of damage." My wife wants "lots of damage," but with a restriction. We already have a Rogue in the party, and she does not want to step on his toes as either skillmonkey or Sneak Attacker.

I've read the various (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?259783-3-5-Swordsage-Handbook-This-one-ll-walk-the-whole-Way-WIP-PEACH) handbooks (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?196531-Walking-the-Way-A-Swordsage-s-Handbook-Under-Construction-again), but both assume more knowledge of and skill with ToB than I have.

Normally, I'd think Tiger Claw when thinking "lots of damage," but that discipline deals a lot with TWF, which she isn't going to be doing. (Though I guess in theory she could...) There's also Desert Wind, but that is largely fire-based, which is often resisted. The previous SS I built for myself was heavy with Shadow Hand, but that risks stepping on the Rogue.

Am I wrong in my perception of Tiger Claw, Desert Wind and Shadow Hand? Are there other disciplines that would work to be a heavy hitter?

One more question... SS's WIS-to-AC is when wearing light armor. Unarmed SS loses light armor proficiency. Would it be too much to still allow WIS-to-AC unarmed. (I ask specifically because the player is my wife, and I don't want to be seen as favoring her.)

Party is LVL 8. Stats of 16, 16, 14, 14, 10, 10.

Cerefel
2016-02-07, 05:19 PM
I believe the Wis to unarmored AC was intended to be included for unarmed swordsage, but wasn't by RAW.

Also, swordsages are definitely more about utility than damage. If she wants to play a damage based monk maybe an ascetic hunter could work.

Andezzar
2016-02-07, 05:49 PM
I believe the Wis to unarmored AC was intended to be included for unarmed swordsage, but wasn't by RAW.He still gets that as it is not removed. The unarmed Swordsage just isn't proficient in light armor and the WIS to AC only works while wearing light armor. There are however a couple of light armors that have no ACP, which means there is no penalty for wearing them without being proficient. Or you could houserule that the WIS to AC ability also works when the Swordsage is not wearing any armor.

Also, swordsages are definitely more about utility than damage. If she wants to play a damage based monk maybe an ascetic hunter could work.Skirmish damage is pretty similar to sneak attack.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-02-07, 05:56 PM
I would suggest a multiclassed swordsage, with a couple of levels in something you think she might like, such as totemist or crusader. Would she be averse to taking some crusader healing? She can use the fast-movement options that a swordsage gets to flitter around the battlefield, using her crusader strikes (and stance) to heal allies. She could also use the White Raven school to give her allies actions and to buff charges and whatnot. She helps allies, and they probably won't care much that she's dealing damage while doing so. If you don't want her "stepping on the rogue's toes," then set up situations where she can help the rogue flank. The rogue will appreciate it, and she can help keep the rogue alive and happy with in-battle healing.

RoyVG
2016-02-08, 05:37 AM
Unarmed Swordsage would be the most logical option if you want a 'good monk', at least if you want to keep it relatively easy.

Tiger Claw is a discipline focused on damage, but in many small increments via Two weapon fighting. Desert wind mostly focuses on fire damage, but I guess it would be not to strange to change the energy type to get the 'Arctic Wind' or 'Storm Wind' disciplines for Cold and Electricity respectivly. Not sure how you can justify Acid though :smallbiggrin:. Shadow Hand is mainly about stealth and weakening your opponent by giving them damage to ability scores. It offers some great utility in the form of at will teleportation and short invisibility, which are useful both in and out of combat, but don't be too afraid of her 'being better than the rogue', Shadow Hand is significantly different enough in my opinion.

Diamond Mind has some pretty nasty maneuvers like the Nightmare Blade maneuvers that allow her to deal a lot of damage in a single hit. It will give her character a style of going into a concentrated state for a split second and then go in for a single hit dealing a significant amount damage.

Stone dragon is generally quite weak, but has some good maneuvers like the Mountain Hammer maneuvers which simply add more damage.

If you are the DM, you could always trade in one or more of the disciplines for another, like giving her Iron Heart instead of Desert Wind or Setting Sun (or both). Iron Heart also has some pretty strong maneuvers that fit the monk theme quite well actually like Disarming Strike, Dazing Strike (nice substitute for Stunning fist of a real monk :smallbiggrin:), Mithral Tornado and Iron Heart Surge.

You could also make her a Warblade instead and give her the Improved Unarmed Strike and the Superior Unarmed Strike feats.

sleepyphoenixx
2016-02-08, 06:35 AM
A Setting Sun focused Swordsage is a whole lot of fun, and there isn't really any danger of stepping on the rogues toes. It's not the most damaging option ever, but it's more than capable enough if you build it properly. It also feels a lot more monkish than Shadow Hand or Tiger Claw, at least to me.

There's other "optimized monk" options too. Tashalatora Monk/Psychic Warrior is great and also has the whole monk flavor, and there's always the option of going Sacred Fist for a more caster-heavy build.
I'd suggest asking your wife, because martial adepts (while great to play) aren't to everyones taste, and most Swordsage builds have a significant overlap with rogues simply because it's one of the more effective strategies for dealing damage.

Kesnit
2016-02-08, 06:41 AM
Or you could houserule that the WIS to AC ability also works when the Swordsage is not wearing any armor.

This is what I had planned to do, but didn't want to make it look like I am favoring my wife. Granted, I've made other houserules that favor either the party as a whole, or individual PCs, but I'm really touchy about houseruling for my wife.

I would suggest a multiclassed swordsage, with a couple of levels in something you think she might like, such as totemist or crusader.

I mentioned Totemist to her and she liked the idea. (She loves MoI.)

Would she be averse to taking some crusader healing? She can use the fast-movement options that a swordsage gets to flitter around the battlefield, using her crusader strikes (and stance) to heal allies. She could also use the White Raven school to give her allies actions and to buff charges and whatnot. She helps allies, and they probably won't care much that she's dealing damage while doing so. If you don't want her "stepping on the rogue's toes," then set up situations where she can help the rogue flank. The rogue will appreciate it, and she can help keep the rogue alive and happy with in-battle healing.

That's what the party uses the Cleric for. And her main goal is "MORE DAMAGE." I will likely throw in some utility powers, but she is more interested in "KILL IT" than anything else.

Tiger Claw is a discipline focused on damage, but in many small increments via Two weapon fighting. Desert wind mostly focuses on fire damage, but I guess it would be not to strange to change the energy type to get the 'Arctic Wind' or 'Storm Wind' disciplines for Cold and Electricity respectivly.

If it was anyone else, I'd ask the player what energy they wanted. Here, again, I don't want to be seen to be favoring my wife.

Shadow Hand is mainly about stealth and weakening your opponent by giving them damage to ability scores. It offers some great utility in the form of at will teleportation and short invisibility, which are useful both in and out of combat, but don't be too afraid of her 'being better than the rogue', Shadow Hand is significantly different enough in my opinion.

I'll look at SH and see, then. The Rogue has a cape that gives Invisibility 3/day, and of course Sneak Attack. But if I avoid abilities that give those, it could probably work.

Diamond Mind has some pretty nasty maneuvers like the Nightmare Blade maneuvers that allow her to deal a lot of damage in a single hit. It will give her character a style of going into a concentrated state for a split second and then go in for a single hit dealing a significant amount damage.

Thank you.

Stone dragon is generally quite weak, but has some good maneuvers like the Mountain Hammer maneuvers which simply add more damage.

I'll look at those.

If you are the DM, you could always trade in one or more of the disciplines for another, like giving her Iron Heart instead of Desert Wind or Setting Sun (or both).

Nice idea, but not this time. :smallsmile:

You could also make her a Warblade instead and give her the Improved Unarmed Strike and the Superior Unarmed Strike feats.

Now that's an idea...

RoyVG
2016-02-08, 07:47 AM
I'll agree that a Setting Sun based swordsage can be a load of fun. Right now I'm playing a Halfling Swordsage Shadow Sun Ninja, focussing mainly on the Throw maneuvers, through some tricks (and a minor DM houserule) I can ignore the enemy's Size bonus to counter my trip attempts. They aren't as good for damage as they are for sheer annoyance toards your enemies, but throwing someone of a large cliff will do up to 20d6 points of damage :smallbiggrin:.

You could do the same trick (Imp and Sup Unarmed Strike) with a Crusader of course, but a Crusader, in my opinion at least, does not look right with unarmed strikes :smallwink:, The Devoted Spirit maneuvers, while potent (Foe hammer and especially Divine Surge), many are more optimal for a more heavily armed character. A warblade makes more sense and the maneuvers lend themselves much better with Tiger Claw, Diamond Mind, some Stone Dragon and Iron Heart. For later levels (11+), have her look at the Eternal Blade PrC in ToB, it's a pretty solid PrC, though it requires Elf as a starting race (though you could wave that away, it doesn't do anything for the class besides flavor). It will give her access to Devoted Spirit, and allows her to take said Divine Surge immediately at first level going into the PrC.

The Tashalatora Monk2/Psychic Warrior X as mentioned can also be a veeeery potent unarmed damage dealer. If the ToB stuff does not work for her, go Psionics and smack people for some big damage.

georgie_leech
2016-02-08, 07:55 AM
Seeing as how Wis to AC in Light Armor is strictly better than Wis to AC when unarmored, and that this is less of a houserule than correcting an obvious oversight, I don't think it would be a big deal. After all, no one gets upset about Monks being proficient with Unarmed Strikes despite technically lacking such proficiency, because them lacking it is clearly an error and not a deliberate design choice.

Andezzar
2016-02-08, 08:09 AM
Yeah. Still there is nothing wrong with wearing a mithral chainshirt or similar as a swordsage unarmed or otherwise.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-02-08, 11:04 AM
If you would normally ask a player what energy type they want, you should also do the same for your wife. "Not favoring someone" is not equivalent to "restricting more than everyone else."

Also, you should look into a dip into one of the variants (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040625e) for the pyrokineticist. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/pyrokineticist.htm) Having a 15' reach touch attack at will (and being able to dual wield them, at that) is a really nice thing. And if you don't think that would work for her character, point the rogue player at it, as touch attack sneak attacking is also reeeeeally good stuff.

Kesnit
2016-02-11, 06:37 AM
This is what I built. Keep in mind, this is a rather low-op party...

Duskling (Magic of Incarnum) Totemist 2/Swordsage 6

STR 14
DEX 16
CON 16
INT 8
WIS 16
CHA 10

Cloak of Deception
Death from Above
Emerald Razor
Insightful Strike
Mighty Throw
Mind Over Body
Moment of Perfect Mind
Shadow Blade Technique
Shadow Garrote
Sudden Leap
Wolf Fang Strike

Island of Blades
Child of Shadows
Pearl of Black Doubt

I did not choose Assassin Stance because we are trying to avoid stepping on the Rogue's toes.

1) Combat Reflexes
3) Weapon Finesse
6) Adaptive Style

Weapon Focus went into Tiger Claw. Insightful Strike went into Diamond Mind.

I'd like to put a better feat at LVL 1, but couldn't really find anything. The feats in the handbook really didn't list anything helpful for the way I am taking this build.

Jump, Concentration, and Tumble are maxed out.
Balance 1
Listen 3
Spot (in-class for Totemist) 5
Survival 1

I have not yet picked gear. I know she's getting a Monk's Belt. She wants a helmet that gives continuous Comprehend Language. She'll get Armor and items to boost DEX, WIS. Necklace of Natural Attack, along with a Lesser Truedeath Crystal, Lesser Electrical Crystal, and Lesser Demolition Crystal. (I haven't run the math on all of this yet, so exactly what she will get is TBD.)

Any recommendations? Changes to Maneuvers? Stances? Feats? Recommended gear?

Andezzar
2016-02-11, 07:19 AM
Improved Initiative would probably be just as useful/useless as Combat Reflexes.

The lesser crystals don't work on natural weapons or the wondrous item. None of them are masterwork.

RoyVG
2016-02-11, 08:05 AM
This is what I built. Keep in mind, this is a rather low-op party...

Duskling (Magic of Incarnum) Totemist 2/Swordsage 6

STR 14
DEX 16
CON 16
INT 8
WIS 16
CHA 10
Looks good enough. You could use the Shadow Blade feat (ToB) to get rid of strength entirely and put the 14 (-2 for duskling) into intelligence for some additional skillpoints. It may look strange to have a melee character with no strength modifier, but my halfling Swordage is pulling it off just fine :smallbiggrin:

Cloak of Deception
Death from Above
Emerald Razor
Insightful Strike
Mighty Throw
Mind Over Body
Moment of Perfect Mind
Shadow Blade Technique
Shadow Garrote
Sudden Leap
Wolf Fang Strike
Away from books, and don't know all the maneuvers by heart, but seems like a good selection at first glance

Island of Blades
Child of Shadows
Pearl of Black Doubt

I did not choose Assassin Stance because we are trying to avoid stepping on the Rogue's toes.
Island of blades is a great stance for helping your rogue, it makes it so much easier to activate sneak attack. Understandable you don't want to take Assassin's stance, especially since you are helping the rogue more than stepping on the rogue's toes this way :P

1) Combat Reflexes
3) Weapon Finesse
6) Adaptive Style

Weapon Focus went into Tiger Claw. Insightful Strike went into Diamond Mind.
I'd like to put a better feat at LVL 1, but couldn't really find anything. The feats in the handbook really didn't list anything helpful for the way I am taking this build.
Like I mentioned before, Shadow Blade is a nice feat to get you Dexterity on damage instead of strength, so you don't need it as much to deal damage, and you have two stances (Island of Blades and Child of Shadows) to activate it. Adaptive style is a must on any Swordsage.

Also let her take Multiattack at level 9, it reduces the penalty of using her secondary natural attacks (obtained through Totemist) from 5 to 2, effectively +3 attack on most of her attacks during a full attack.

Balance 1
Listen 3
Survival 1
no real objections here

I have not yet picked gear. I know she's getting a Monk's Belt. She wants a helmet that gives continuous Comprehend Language. She'll get Armor and items to boost DEX, WIS. Necklace of Natural Attack, along with a Lesser Truedeath Crystal, Lesser Electrical Crystal, and Lesser Demolition Crystal. (I haven't run the math on all of this yet, so exactly what she will get is TBD.)
Any recommendations? Changes to Maneuvers? Stances? Feats? Recommended gear?
I would argue that she won't get that much milage from a Monk's belt, especially if she does not have Monk levels. The only thing she'll get is an upgrade to unarmed damage (2 'tiers' if she's at the correct level, otherwise only 1, at this level she would go from 1d8 to 1d10, an average of +1 damage) and +1 AC, I would say not really worth it too much, maybe when other damage boosting items are gettin really expensive. A ring of protection +1 and an Amulet of Mighty fists +1 give you the same result but the costs are 8000 against 13000 and a monk belt does not increase the damage of your natural attacks.

Speaking of Amulet of Mighty Fist maybe consider that instead of a Necklace of Natural attacks? That way it always works with the additional attacks she gets from Totemist (Likely Girrallon Arms for 4 claws) (NOTE, I'm looking at the Savage species version, the one where you have to pay per natural attack, so that would be 10000 gp for a +1 to 1x unarmed strike and 4xclaws in this case). You also cannot use weapon crystals for unarmed strikes, though you can get the Scorpion Kama from MIC, it's a weapon that deals damage equal to you unarmed strike damage, and you can put a crystal in that instead. You could fluff she puts it in the amulet of course. You can enchant the Scorpions Kama with things like Flaming and have it affect her unarmed strike.

With armor, just get something light with little to no armor check penalty and a high max dex. e.g. A Mithral Chain Shirt is +4 AC, 0 ACP, Max Dex of 6 and costs only 1100 gp. For an additional 1000 it gets +1 AC

tl;dr
-Switch Strength and Intelligence for more skill points,
-Switch Combat Reflexes for Shadow Blade to get Dex to damage,
-Amulet of Mighty Fists instead of (likely even more expensive) Necklace of Natural attacks
-+1 Mithral Chain shirt for +5 AC and only 2100 gp

Those are my two cents, have fun playing :smallsmile:

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-02-11, 09:02 AM
I would argue that she won't get that much milage from a Monk's belt, especially if she does not have Monk levels.Monks inarguably get the least out of having a monk's belt; monks should take other belts, instead, as a +1 to AC isn't worth 13,000 gp.

If you want to add a weapon crystal to your natural attack, attach it to the necklace. That should work out okay.

RoyVG
2016-02-11, 09:14 AM
Monks inarguably get the least out of having a monk's belt; monks should take other belts, instead, as a +1 to AC isn't worth 13,000 gp.
But that extra use of Stunning Fist cannot be ignored :smallwink:

But yeah, Guantlets of Ogre Power gets you more attack and damage, among other uses like skills. And if you have the Weapon Finesse and Shadow blade feats, you get the same benefits from Gloves of Dexterity AND +1 AC for only 4000 gp.

Kesnit
2016-02-11, 10:10 PM
The lesser crystals don't work on natural weapons or the wondrous item. None of them are masterwork.

I've always ruled that the crystals work on an Necklace of Natural Attacks. It's how you enhance and give special stuff to unarmed and natural attacks, so I see no reason crystals couldn't be slotted in.

You could use the Shadow Blade feat (ToB) to get rid of strength entirely and put the 14 (-2 for duskling) into intelligence for some additional skillpoints.

I knew there was something I was forgetting from previous posts. (When I made the build, I was using the handbook on my phone.) I just made that change.

It may look strange to have a melee character with no strength modifier, but my halfling Swordage is pulling it off just fine :smallbiggrin:

The previous SS I made (the one I didn't get to play) was a Halfling who made use of Tiger Claw (eventually going into Bloodclaw Master) and Shadow Hand (stacking Sneak Attack). I know it can be done. :smallbiggrin:

Also let her take Multiattack at level 9, it reduces the penalty of using her secondary natural attacks (obtained through Totemist) from 5 to 2, effectively +3 attack on most of her attacks during a full attack.

If she ends up going the Natural Attacks route, I will. She's played a Totemist before and know what their binds are, so I'm not going to push her one way or another.

I would argue that she won't get that much milage from a Monk's belt, especially if she does not have Monk levels. The only thing she'll get is an upgrade to unarmed damage (2 'tiers' if she's at the correct level, otherwise only 1, at this level she would go from 1d8 to 1d10, an average of +1 damage) and +1 AC, I would say not really worth it too much, maybe when other damage boosting items are gettin really expensive. A ring of protection +1 and an Amulet of Mighty fists +1 give you the same result but the costs are 8000 against 13000 and a monk belt does not increase the damage of your natural attacks.

The Monk's Belt was there simply because the module happened to drop one in the last session and she wanted to keep it. I'll talk to her about it.

Speaking of Amulet of Mighty Fist maybe consider that instead of a Necklace of Natural attacks? That way it always works with the additional attacks she gets from Totemist (Likely Girrallon Arms for 4 claws)

I'll ask her which way she plans to take the Totemist and go from there.

With armor, just get something light with little to no armor check penalty and a high max dex. e.g. A Mithral Chain Shirt is +4 AC, 0 ACP, Max Dex of 6 and costs only 1100 gp. For an additional 1000 it gets +1 AC

I'll look at options, which is not something I had thought about because I forgot at first she actually is proficient in light armor (from Totemist).

Eisfalken
2016-02-12, 02:20 AM
Hmm. I know this is far from optimal, but... what about barbarian 2 / battle dancer 2 / stalwart sorcerer 2 / abjurant champ 5 / swiftblade 9? It's +19 BAB, 6th level spells (CL 19th). You aren't trying to be primary arcane caster for 9th-level magic; you just need spells to boost your monk-like style.

Here's a brief build overview. Doesn't presume a human build, and based on a flat 10 on Int; all you really have to worry about is altering the skill ranks for different Int or a human.

1st - 2nd: Barbarian; spirit lion totem (CC), skilled city-dweller (Cityscape WE), Improved Initiative (1st level), Gather Information 5 ranks, Intimidate 5 ranks, Sense Motive 5 ranks, Tumble 5 ranks

3rd - 4th: Battle Dancer (DC); Superior Unarmed Strike (ToB, 3rd level), Balance 4 ranks, Tumble 2 ranks

5th - 6th: Sorcerer; stalwart sorcerer (CM); Expeditious Dodge (RotW), Concentration 2 ranks, Spellcraft 2 ranks
Spells learned: 0-level - dancing lights, flare, mage hand, prestidigitation, touch of fatigue; 1st - mage armor

7th - 11th: Abjurant Champion (CM); Mobility (9th), Concentration 5 ranks, Spellcraft 5 ranks
Spells learned: 0-level - caltrops (SpC), launch item (SpC); 1st - shield, benign transposition (SpC), nerveskitter (SpC), shocking grasp; 2nd - alter self, dimension hop (PH2), wraithstrike (SpC); 3rd - greater mighty wallop (RotD)

12th - 20th: Swiftblade (web); Arcane Strike (CW, 12th), Extend Spell (15th), Versatile Spellcaster (RotD, 18th), Concentration 9 ranks, Listen 7 ranks, Spot 7 ranks, Tumble 9 ranks, Acrobatic Backstab (skill trick, CS), Twisted Charge (skill trick, CS)
Spells learned: 0-level - open/close, silent portal (SpC); 2nd - sting ray (SpC), wings of cover (RotD); 3rd - greater mage armor (SpC), haste, vampiric touch; 4th - greater invisibility, greater mirror image (PH2), polymorph, stoneskin; 5th - greater blink (SpC), greater dimension door (SpC), overland flight; 6th - tactical teleportation (CM)

I am sure others will be able to tweak my selections better, but I think the above gives a pretty spiffy build (I'm sure some would prefer trading out something for greater luminous armor, but some folks may not want to go that far, and it does cost 1d2 Strength, so that's a thing). I put in a lot of illusion-based defenses that won't overlap with the swiftblade miss chance, and there's a lot of mobility at higher levels. If you need mobility or defense at lower levels, use the sorcerer ability to swap out spells as it goes along and just pick up lesser versions. With Arcane Strike, you can also opt for more attack/damage output if you just need to pile on the damage.

Magic items are pretty standard. Belt of battle is a natural, but consider looking for Savage Species for necklace of natural attacks so this character can get magic weapon bonuses/traits for their fists. Get eternal wands for day-long stuff (endure elements is a must), a regular wand for occasional long-lasting buffs (bull's strength and the like), and a runestaff for times when you need a very occasional spell for utility reasons (teleport, permanency, etc.). Stay off of armor; consider a body-slot robe if you can get one (robes of the archmage are neat, but you may be a long time before getting it). Anything that boosts Cha bonus will give you more armor and sorcerer ability, so definitely get a cloak of charisma (preferably with a +resistance bonus addition). If you really want to be helpful, let this character get some knowstones (Dragon magazine, but not sure which issue); it's only really worth it for a few specific, valuable spells, but they are a little more discreet than a runestaff.

You could do a similar build with Swift Hunter ranger/scout, but you'll probably still need to dip a level in battle dancer first; go through TWF and any skirmish boost, plus anything for bonus charge damage, and have fun dashing around willy-nilly. Only problem is lack of spellcasting, which is a good thing to have at high levels. But if you stick with ranger, you should still be good for at least a few spells; they actually have a pounce-ability spell, which you only usually need every other round or so anyway, so just get a (eternal) wand and call it a day.

LTwerewolf
2016-02-12, 02:45 AM
Permitted sources?

raygun goth
2016-02-12, 03:12 AM
I believe the Wis to unarmored AC was intended to be included for unarmed swordsage, but wasn't by RAW.

Wish people would stop saying this. It's also pretty obvious that Swordsages don't get x6 skill points at first level but there it is, in the RAW.

I hope someone forgets to put a hit die on a Pathfinder class with a Rogue base attack bonus some day.

Everyone would declare that it only gets con modifier to hit points forever.

Kesnit
2016-02-12, 06:31 AM
Permitted sources?

Most any 3.0/3.5, as I have pretty much all of them. I allow 3rd party if the player has the book and can show me what they want to use. (My wife's last PC had a class from BoEF. The "Rogue" is actually a class from a 3rd party book that combines Rogue with a little casting.)

Darrin
2016-02-12, 09:31 AM
Cloak of Deception
Death from Above
Emerald Razor
Insightful Strike
Mighty Throw
Mind Over Body
Moment of Perfect Mind
Shadow Blade Technique
Shadow Garrote
Sudden Leap
Wolf Fang Strike

Looks good, but I think I'd prefer to see Mountain Hammer in there somewhere, particularly in WLD where "dungeon redecorating" might come in handy (pun intended).

Island of Blades
Child of Shadows
Pearl of Black Doubt

Consider swapping Pearl of Black Doubt for Dance of the Spider. I know you mentioned not taking Assassin's Stance, but always-on spider climb has a lot of utility.

Not sure I'm sold on Child of Shadow... I see Hunter's Sense recommended a lot as a counter for invisible foes, but I tend to rely on flour pouches and torch bug paste for that. I'd be tempted to pick up Flame's Blessing, which may not be immediately useful, but immunity to [fire] without having to rely on subtypes, spells, or magic items is pretty darned nifty.

1) Combat Reflexes
3) Weapon Finesse
6) Adaptive Style

A Feycraft (DMGII) Scorpion Kama would give her the equivalent of Weapon Finesse while avoiding the main disadvantage of a Feycraft weapon (lower damage die). That might free up a feat.

If you need another feat... Travel Devotion goes well with Child of Shadow.

Balance 1
Listen 3
Survival 1

Balance should be 5 to avoid being flat-footed while balancing on slippery/narrow terrain.

Recommended gear?

Add the comprehend languages thing to a Helm of Tactics (2000 GP, MIC, +2 damage to all allies within 30' who are flanking). Pairs up nicely with an Amulet of Teamwork (2000 GP, MIC, +2 damage when you and an ally are flanking). If her throat slot is already taken by the Necklace, consider dropping the Amulet of Teamwork for the rogue.

Tunic of Steady Spellcasting (2500 GP, MIC) for the torso slot. For shoulders, I'm a big fan of the Transposer Cloak (6000 GP, MIC), but Travel Cloak (1200 GP, Magic of Faerun) might be better for the WLD.

For the arms... I was going to suggest maybe Bracers of Striking (1310, Magic of Faerun), which can be enchanted with weapon properties, freeing up the throat slot, but you have to pay double for them, as they are considered a double weapon. Otherwise... Armband of Elusive Action (800 GP, MIC) is very easy on the budget.

Ring of the Viper (8000 GP, Serpent Kingdoms) adds +1 to unarmed damage with a poison chaser (Fort DC 11, Prim/Sec 1d6 Con) if she's ok with that sort of thing.