PDA

View Full Version : Some rule mods

ishnar
2007-06-16, 02:24 AM
I've always wanted to run a "dark" game, like the Stephen R Donaldson Illearth war, without ripping off his ideas. Something happened to truly make the world a miserable place with little hope of survival. When TC arrived the first order was simple survival, fixing the problem came later. I finally had a sorta brainstorm, and I'm trying to figure out the repercussions and if this is even a playable mod.

Basically, about 10 years before Gameplay begins there was an event that changed how magic works making all supernatural items and creatures holes in the frabric of time. Put another way, any use of supernatural powers began receiving a negative energy feedback. All supernatural creatures began losing 1HP per day. It became known as the blight. Many died in the first few weeks, all that died from the blight later rose as undead. Those that didn't survived because they started draining HP from others, or destroying magic items to create a HP buffer. Now, the only cities with an existing presence of spell casters do so by farming slaves or taxing it's citizens once a week to make themselves available to be drained. Naturally, there was a negative reaction to any spell casters after this and many places now openly persecute any caster or supernatural creature--or creature that looks to be suffering blight. The gods have not responded to any communication attempts, nor have there been any avatar sitings since the event.

The rules mods are thus.
1. All undead gain fast heal 1.
2. All creatures may sacrifice 1 HP for a +1 circumstance bonus up to their current level.
3. Once a creature gains access to supernatural powers, after they are used for the first time the creature is drained 1HP per day.
4. All magic items are naturally inactive and require activation. After activation, the user is drained 1HP per bonus point per round. Eg, a +5 sword drains 5 HP per round. Non-combat items drain 1hp per day when active.
5. All supernatural powers and spells require 1HP per use.
6. All healing spells and abilities require 1 additional HP per level. Vampiric abilities are not included.
7. All supernatural creatures gain a drain other ability (Supernatural) and a HP buffer equal to their level. There will probably be additional spells or means of increasing this buffer above its base.
8. Creating magic items now requires the death of a sentient for every 5,000gp of value. Artifacts require the sacrifices be willing and aware of what the artifact will be used for.
9. All magic items may be drained and destroyed with the new drain ability to fill the HP buffer by 1 point per 5,000 gp of value.
10. When drain ability is used on a living sentient, 5 points drained replenishes the buffer by 1 point. Drained HP do not add HP and only HP above zero counts.
11. Any creature drained to zero rises again as an undead of equal HD.

As can be seen, the effects on society wil be profound. There is also gameplay mechanics to consider. With the greater difficulty in spellcasting and healing I"ll probably have to give most creatures a CR bonus. Perhaps a trend towards using technology will begin with a greater preference and availability of gnomish inventions.

magic8BALL
2007-06-16, 04:31 AM
This seems to have a whole heap of flavour, and will certainly make players think twice when they use magic. One problem I see is low level casters. I mean, even with decent hp for their class, level 1 and 2 wizards and sorcs have more spells per day than hit points.one level 4 and 5 come into play, there's no real issue, these guys hardly get hit anyway, just now they'll REALLY know it when it happens.

ishnar
2007-06-16, 10:53 PM
This seems to have a whole heap of flavour, and will certainly make players think twice when they use magic. One problem I see is low level casters. I mean, even with decent hp for their class, level 1 and 2 wizards and sorcs have more spells per day than hit points.one level 4 and 5 come into play, there's no real issue, these guys hardly get hit anyway, just now they'll REALLY know it when it happens.

exactly. I was thinking about starting 3rd level because anything lower would just be too difficult. I was also thinking 28 point buy, only stat above 16 only 1 below 10.