PDA

View Full Version : Questions concerning Ring of Spell Battle

Melcar
2016-02-07, 08:32 PM
I have been unable to find out whether or not the ring functions without line of effect. I would assume it to functions as the spell battle magic perception, but it does not mention line of sight or line of effect, which would indicate that it functions through walls and stuff.

Does anyone here know the definite on this?

Hiro Quester
2016-02-07, 08:54 PM
It says that you know about magic happening around you, and can make a spellcraft check to identify it, even if you can't see it. So you don't need line of sight. It does function through walls, then.

Venger
2016-02-07, 08:55 PM
I have been unable to find out whether or not the ring functions without line of effect. I would assume it to functions as the spell battle magic perception, but it does not mention line of sight or line of effect, which would indicate that it functions through walls and stuff.

Does anyone here know the definite on this?

It tells you about spells regardless of loe (within 60ft of you, no asterisks) the dispel effect is as dispel magic, so that you need loe for.

Hiro Quester
2016-02-07, 09:52 PM
Not necessarily. It says

when you succeed in identifying a spell in this manner, you can activate the ring to counterspell that spell as if with dispel magic

If you succeed in identifying the spell being cast around the corner out of sight, you can activate the ring to dispel it.

It depends on what "as if" means here. Does it mean as if you had cast dispel magic with all its loe limitations, or just requiring a dispel check on that spell.

That is probably a DMs call. I'd let you dispel or redirect out of sight spells. Esp with the 1/day limitation.

Melcar
2016-02-08, 03:37 AM
So the ring functions through telekinetic sphere, forcecage or through walls and floors... Ok. That really did make that item somewhat stronger than I had first calculated.

Elxir_Breauer
2016-02-08, 10:34 AM
Typically, when a magic item or spell functions "as if x spell" then it has to follow all the rules regarding said spell, including Line of Sight, Line of Effect, Range, Targets and anything else restricted by the spell. This is why many things specify what is different about the new version of the effect and why spells with multiple versions or power levels only have the relevant changes in the spell block. In this case, it would allow you to identify any magic cast within 60' of you with no limitation on LoS or LoE, but the Dispel function would still require such without errata stating that it functions within the limitations of the ring itself, versus the spell description. Note that this is all Rules as Written, and it may be Rules as Intended to function with no LoS/LoE requirements, but without more input from the creator of it, this cannot be verified.

Douglas
2016-02-08, 04:34 PM
I'd rarely actually use the counterspell option. A dispel check at fixed +10 has far too high a chance of failure. The redirect option has no chance-based failure and for most spells can make the spell a net gain for you rather than merely no change.