PDA

View Full Version : Soulknife/Illumine Soul + Shadow Sentinel

Yogibear41
2016-02-07, 08:58 PM
Can a soulknife/illumine soul make his mind blade (assuming he can make it into a slashing weapon) his umbral blade for the Shadow Sentinel Prestige class? And if so would the special abilities the mind blade gets get around the "you can't add other special properties or powers to your umbral blade" clause.

daremetoidareyo
2016-02-07, 09:20 PM
Can a soulknife/illumine soul make his mind blade (assuming he can make it into a slashing weapon) his umbral blade for the Shadow Sentinel Prestige class? And if so would the special abilities the mind blade gets get around the "you can't add other special properties or powers to your umbral blade" clause.

It is pretty iron clad that the umbral blade is a thing. So you can't manifest a soulblade umbral blade. You can take 2 weapon fighting and fight with an umbral blade in one hand and a soul blade in the other...

However, the umbral blade can be any sort of slashing weapon. If you can find a way to change the form of your soulblade into a different item, you should be able to attach a bayonet umbral blade to them. Give me a minute to investigate...

Yogibear41
2016-02-07, 09:44 PM
It is pretty iron clad that the umbral blade is a thing. So you can't manifest a soulblade umbral blade.

I don't really see anything in the description to back this up.

"An umbral blade may be any kind of
slashing melee weapon" "you can transform any slashing melee weapon that has at least a +1 enhancement bonus into a new umbral blade"

daremetoidareyo
2016-02-07, 09:51 PM
I don't really see anything in the description to back this up.

"An umbral blade may be any kind of
slashing melee weapon" "you can transform any slashing melee weapon that has at least a +1 enhancement bonus into a new umbral blade"

It's a material thing. "you receive an umbral blade in an elaborate ceremony conducted in the Tombs of the Brave in Elirhondas. In the hands of anyone not trained in its use, an umbral blade is merely a weapon with a +1 enhancement bonus made of some unusually dark, oily metal."

A soulblade is psionically formed thing. They can't stack.

But, you can get razored armor as your umbral blade. Which makes blood spiked charger an interesting way to take it.

MisterKaws
2016-02-07, 10:09 PM
Using mau-jehe would overcome all those problems.

daremetoidareyo
2016-02-07, 11:03 PM
It's a material thing. "you receive an umbral blade in an elaborate ceremony conducted in the Tombs of the Brave in Elirhondas. In the hands of anyone not trained in its use, an umbral blade is merely a weapon with a +1 enhancement bonus made of some unusually dark, oily metal."

A soulblade is psionically formed thing. They can't stack.

But, you can get razored armor as your umbral blade. Which makes blood spiked charger an interesting way to take it.

I went back and read it all again.

It appears that you have changed my mind.

The only problem that I see with the RAW wonkery that you're trying to get to work is that the mindblade stops existing when you let go of it. This means you need to sleep with a sword. poop with a sword. Maybe you can wear a locking guantlet with your mindblade, but then you have to do EVERYTHING one handed. It takes 24 hours and 100xp to umbralize your mindblade, and then, if you let go of it, or become panicked, you have to spend that 100xp again.

The bonuses from the mind blade and umbral blade won't stack, they are both enhancement bonuses. But, the abilities that you put into your mindblade (like collision or wounding) would be in your umbral mind blade.

All of these problems are overcome by the mau-jehe from Weapons of Legacy p. 115. No locking gauntlets necessary. Further, because your mindblade is now a real thing, you can use the ancestral relic feat instead of awakening any of the extra properties for the stupid thing and just pay gold to make it a plus bjillion monster. Or, if it fits the flavor of your dude, take the truebond feat from DMG 2 on page 231 to get some weird buffs. +4 dodge to ac for opponents that you have not attacked looks like the only good one.

Also look at the mind blade gauntlets from Races of Eberron page 175.