PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Arcane Caster Level - Without Casting

Thurbane
2016-02-07, 09:10 PM
Hey all,

What are some ways to get an arcane caster level, without being a caster?

I'm aware of Warlock and Dragonfire Adept, but what else is there?

IIRC, racial caster levels, such as for a Duergar, count as neither Arcane nor Divine?

Cheers - T

MisterKaws
2016-02-07, 10:10 PM
Factotum also qualifies for arcane caster level, though it IS kind of an arcane caster.

Troacctid
2016-02-07, 10:25 PM
Factotum also qualifies for arcane caster level, though it IS kind of an arcane caster.

Where does it say that? I'm looking at it now and it looks to me like its spell-like abilities are neither arcane nor divine.

Thurbane
2016-02-08, 02:02 AM
Where does it say that? I'm looking at it now and it looks to me like its spell-like abilities are neither arcane nor divine.

True - it's easy to assume it's Arcane, since it draws from the Sor/Wiz spell list, and is called Arcane Dilettante; but I believe you're right, it's not specified as either Arcane or Divine.

nedz
2016-02-08, 06:41 AM
Arcane Caster Level - Without Arcane Casting:
Cleric (etc.) with Southern Magician

But this is cheating somewhat.

ATHATH
2016-02-08, 03:05 PM
Does the Greater Rite of Draconic Passage count?

Deadline
2016-02-08, 04:42 PM
IIRC, racial caster levels, such as for a Duergar, count as neither Arcane nor Divine?

I may be missing something, but where is this information?

Page 315 of the Monster Manual has this bit:

Some spell-like abilities duplicate spells that work differently when cast by characters of different classes - for example, true seeing. A monster's spell-like abilities are presumed to be the sorcerer/wizard versions. If the spell in question is not a sorcerer/wizard spell, then default to cleric, druid, bard, paladin, and ranger, in that order.

Also, is Arcane Caster Level a defined game term? I could only find "Arcane Caster" and "Caster Level" in the Glossary. Was there an errata somewhere that defined this?

I was under the impression that if you have a sorcerer/wizard spell-like, then your caster level for that spell-like is arcane in nature.

gorfnab
2016-02-08, 06:55 PM
Magical Training - PGtF sort of works, the feat gives you some cantrips and arcane CL of 1.

Thurbane
2016-02-09, 12:11 AM
I may be missing something, but where is this information?

Page 315 of the Monster Manual has this bit:

Also, is Arcane Caster Level a defined game term? I could only find "Arcane Caster" and "Caster Level" in the Glossary. Was there an errata somewhere that defined this?

I was under the impression that if you have a sorcerer/wizard spell-like, then your caster level for that spell-like is arcane in nature.
I was always led to believe SLAs were neither arcane nor divine, but I can't find a specific citation, so I may be mistaken.

Arcane Caster/Spellcaster Level is mentioned in the reqs for Sandshaper and for obtaining certain Improved Familiars; not sure if there are others.

Tiri
2016-02-09, 02:30 AM
Complete Mage states that SLAs are neither arcane nor divine, but I'm not sure how reliable that is.

ShurikVch
2016-02-09, 05:07 AM
There is a way:
1) Don't be a caster
2) Find arcane caster who is able to cast Imbue with Spell Ability (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/imbueWithSpellAbility.htm)
3) Pay him to cast it on you; include at least one abjuration spell
4) Enter the Abjurant Champion PrC, take all 5 levels - Now your CL = your BAB
5) Cast your imbued spells to fulfill "Without Casting" requirement

Deadline
2016-02-09, 10:48 AM
Complete Mage states that SLAs are neither arcane nor divine, but I'm not sure how reliable that is.

It may be the primary source of that particular rule. Can you tell me what page it's on? I'm not finding it (which is likely just due to my poor referencing skills).

Thurbane
2016-02-09, 10:02 PM
It may be the primary source of that particular rule. Can you tell me what page it's on? I'm not finding it (which is likely just due to my poor referencing skills).

Looks like p.7, under the heading Arcane vs Innate.

Deadline
2016-02-10, 11:15 AM
Looks like p.7, under the heading Arcane vs Innate.

Derp, I was looking in Complete Arcane, no wonder I couldn't find it. :smalltongue:

That said, it's fuzzy, and I'm not sure it doesn't contradict the Monster Manual. *sigh*, crud.