PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Character Sheet Auditing Time!

Marigu.goke00
2016-02-07, 09:16 PM
Okay. So, I am auditing my party's character sheets. I was wondering if anyone had a simple, pain free way of doing this. I am not the DM, but the DM is having me do it because of my obsessive knowledge of the 3.5 system. So. Yeah. Any easy way to do this?

OldTrees1
2016-02-07, 09:58 PM
Depends on the complexity of the builds. If the complexity is low enough then existing character generators could audit them. For high complexity builds, challenging a forum to double check suspicious numbers/details can be faster/more accurate if you do a first pass yourself.

Fizban
2016-02-07, 10:27 PM
Yeah, I don't really see how there'd be any "easy" way except to have someone else do it. Either they're simple enough they don't need auditing, or they do. If they're online sheets you could post the links and have the forum throw the book at 'em, but if they're paper then entering them all in by hand might not be worth the effort, especially since it adds an extra layer of typos (the original+your transcribing).

Usually people don't talk about group audits for things like illegal builds, could it be you're just checking magic items?

torrasque666
2016-02-07, 10:52 PM
Usually people don't talk about group audits for things like illegal builds, could it be you're just checking magic items?

Eh. I had this responsibility when I had more free time than my DM and we had a guy who kept trying to sneak things past the DM.

Khedrac
2016-02-08, 07:26 AM
One thing I would say is that if you find something you believe to be incorrect don't initially call it that - ask the player to "explain" it to you - they might even have a valid (if tortuous) piece of rules logic backing them.
More likely they may not even realize they are misreading the rules.

Âmesang
2016-02-08, 07:39 AM
My first thought is to use a spreadsheet program like Excel or OpenOffice to help track equipment costs; essentially it could be used to add up armor class, saving throws, attack rolls, skills, and the like.

Florian
2016-02-08, 07:44 AM
Okay. So, I am auditing my party's character sheets. I was wondering if anyone had a simple, pain free way of doing this. I am not the DM, but the DM is having me do it because of my obsessive knowledge of the 3.5 system. So. Yeah. Any easy way to do this?

Sadly, no easy way to do that because feats and items provide too many exceptions to the standard rules. You´ll have to use a spreadsheet program/App like Excel or Numbers and do it by hand, helped by some =SUMME functions.