PDA

View Full Version : Optimization What's the strongest level 4 character you can make?

Spectre9000
2016-02-07, 10:14 PM
Title. Post the strongest level 4 character you can make. I'm curious about the level of OPness people can reach at low levels.

Edit: For clarification, greatest survivability and offensive power.

coredump
2016-02-07, 10:40 PM
Define "strongest". Deal most damage? Absorb most damage? Best at 1v1 against other PCs? Best support?

Under what conditions? How close is the enemy? What is the environment? What is the enemy like?

The point is, in order to get an answer, you need to drastically refine your criteria.

Foxhound438
2016-02-07, 10:54 PM
Probably a PAM+GWM or CBM+SharpShot, both give bonus action attacks at 10+mod+die each, would have the most at-will damage, prior having more damage while the latter has range

Either of those can be done via Variant Human, or if you have a class feature that gives you a bonus action attack as the War Cleric does you could pull in GWM or SharpShot with a different feat, or just have a +4 power stat.

bid
2016-02-08, 12:06 AM
Hill dwarf cleric with tough, concentrating on enhance ability (Con), dodging while controling spiritual weapon. AC20 with disadvantage, 47hp + 2d6 thp, doing 1d8+3 force damage per round for 2 minutes. You can charm person on any ranged SS.

Of course, it's a rock-paper-scissors kind of deal.

SharkForce
2016-02-08, 12:30 AM
probably a moon druid. it isn't quite as far ahead of the curve as it would be if the challenge was level 2, but still ahead of the curve i'd say.

PoeticDwarf
2016-02-08, 01:30 AM
I'd go for warlock (armor of agaathys, darkness combo) combined with eldritch blast, pushing enemies away and have 10 temp HP with 10 dmg, the ability to hold everyone back, deal some OK dmg (maybe hex instead of AOA or Darkness) and have classic devilsight combo (or is that for higher levels, I'm away from books).

Classic, really classic

Cespenar
2016-02-08, 01:33 AM
A Moon Druid 3/Barbarian 1 has upwards of 160 hp against physical damages if you count 2 wildshapes and rage. Not to mention two attacks in bear form with 2d6+6 and 1d8+6 in rage. While either under the effect of Barkskin for even more ludicrous defenses (AC 16), or with Moonbeam dealing even more damage over time.

Somewhat ashamedly, I'm playing one right now in Out of the Abyss. Haven't yet been knocked out of even my first form.

Nicodiemus
2016-02-08, 02:21 AM
Take 1 lvl fighter then 3 lvls rogue-swashbuckler all armor, all weapons, no AoO on anyone you attack and +2d6 SA on 1 att practically every round. And no limit on how long you can keep it going.

Gwendol
2016-02-08, 03:44 AM
Ranger 4. Likely the most self-reliant class, and when using a ranged weapon ranks high on the DPR scale. You can use the Deepstalker ranger for even more damage, or a hand crossbow hunter ranger thanks to that weapon almost always being the best choice.
Outside of action surging fighters, this will be the most reliant damage-dealer at this level.

Either use a wood elf or a lightfoot halfling for HiPS. Stay hidden and keep sniping, every round.

Citan
2016-02-09, 08:37 AM
Hi!
My take:
DEX/CHA-based Fighter 1 / Warlock 3.
Heavy armor + Shield, Close Quarter Shooters style, cast Mirror Image + Hex and spam Repelling Agonizing Blast.
Go Variant Human with Shield Master for defense, start Fighter for proficiencies (including CON).

Not as beefy as some aforementioned propositions (my hat to the hill dwarf cleric dodging with Spiritual Weapon) but holds its own.

Alternative for a Ranged Character:
Paladin Devotion 3 / Fighter 1
Variant Human with Sharpshooter, take Archery + Close Quarter Shooters fighting Style, use either Longbow or Hand Crossbow + Shield.
Start Paladin for proficiency in WIS this time, cast Shield of Faith, you get only one shot/turn but you're sure to always hit your mark with Sharpshooter.