PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder My campaign handout

skyth
2016-02-08, 10:27 AM
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/40416842/Fourth%20Age.docx

I've put in some more work on the background of my campaign. Just curious as to what people think (Outside of the house rules). Am I missing something or is anything confusing about it?

Geddy2112
2016-02-08, 11:03 AM
I like that your house rules are a KISS(keep it simple stupid).

Right off the bat, 12 pages is a lot to read. As a DM, I won't even read character backgrounds over 10 pages. I try to keep my handouts to 10 or less, usually hitting 3-5. Maybe integrate the core races into description of the cities or general area, and just try to skim some of the details that are easily inferred like "bows made of ironwood are particularly valuable". Ironwood is rare and fought over, you can guess that anything made of it is worth money and of fine quality.

If deities are not of major importance to non religious characters, make the deity guide a separate supplement for players seeking a deity. That way, your barbarian player who does not care much for the divine won't have to read it. You can always fill in the obvious common knowledge "this temple is obviously one of Cammac, you know by the infinity symbols, forges, and priesthood carrying hammers".

That said, if you have awesome players that read everything disregard everything I have said. It is fairly straightforward, but I would move the society and races closer to the top of the guide before I got into geography. Knowing the general info of society should come first, and then the details of the cities second. Particularly if they are all starting in the same city(and are from said city).

skyth
2016-02-08, 01:20 PM
Thanks for the comments. It is intended to be in the style of a setting handout...Like the Inner Sea guide for Pathfinder or Greyhawk, or Forgotten Realms.

I think you have a point about putting the society stuff first.