PDA

View Full Version : Level 9 Spells in a Short Dip?

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-02-08, 03:26 PM
I recall reading some time ago about a build that manages to get level 9 spells with a single dip using...something. I think the Extra Slot feat was involved, but I don't remember. It might even be possible without a dip at all. If I remembered more about it, I could say one way or another.

I know you can use the magic mantle, Supernatural Transformation (Psionics), a level of ardent, and lots of psychic chirurgery, though you need other tricks to boost your power points (like the psi variant spellthief with Master [Psi]thief and a few other manifesting classes that likewise get boosted via Master [Psi]thief and Supernatural Transformation; you don't get many base pp, but you can get LOTS of bonus pp).

A couple of levels of illithid savant can garner 9th level spells, if you manage to devour a high level spellcaster -- and if anyone could, an illithid savant could, even if it's only an ice assassin clone.

Any ideas on other ways to get 9th level spells with a short dip?

LTwerewolf
2016-02-08, 03:36 PM
Every way I've seen involve a casting class that gains spells at a very fast rate, such as ur priest and sublime chord, and then using a pretige class after that.

tropical_punch
2016-02-09, 02:53 AM
Combining Elven Generalist and Domain Wizard and Versatile Spellcaster can technically get you 9th level spells at Wizard 1, although it's on very shaky ground.

Heliomance
2016-02-09, 03:29 AM
There is a way to do it without any casting levels at all. I think it involves taking a feat to get cantrips, and using some combination of versatile spellcaster, heighten spell, and maybe earth spell to count as having second level spells, letting you take extra slot for first level spells, then repeating to bootstrap your way up to 9ths.

ShurikVch
2016-02-09, 05:14 AM
Note: Domain Wizard know all spells from his domain, not just those which he able to cast; make Faustian Pact for 9th level spell slot - and presto! - you able to cast 9th level spell of your domain at 1st level

LTwerewolf
2016-02-09, 09:53 AM
Note: Domain Wizard know all spells from his domain, not just those which he able to cast; make Faustian Pact for 9th level spell slot - and presto! - you able to cast 9th level spell of your domain at 1st level

domain wizard automatically adds each new domain spell to her list of known spells as soon as she becomes able to cast it.

I think reality is somewhat at odds with your statement.

Grod_The_Giant
2016-02-09, 10:01 AM
I think reality is somewhat at odds with your statement.
And if you gain 9th level spell slots, you've become able to cast that spell, haven't you?

LTwerewolf
2016-02-09, 10:10 AM
You're not able to cast that spell. You're able to combine other spells together to cast a spell you already know (that's the important bit). Since you don't already know it, you can't cast it. Also it doesn't explicitly state that you can use it with itself and stack it upon itself like that. Nowhere does it give permission. It is a feat and not labeled metamagic, and thus inherently does not stack with itself without permission.

If you're still trying to use the interpretation anyhow, it ends up like this:
0.5x3=1.5, so 1 1st level spells.
1 base 1st level spell+int of 45 is 6 first level spells, plus the one from earlier=7, doubled from a ring of wizardry 1=14.
14/2=7 second level spells.
7/2=3 third level spells.
3/2=1 4th level spell.

Even breaking WBL with a ring of wizardry and a ridiculous int score gets you a 4th level spell. Infinite loops are easy to do without having to break the rule to do them.