PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Fighter/wizard or Warlock blade

Ewhit
2016-02-08, 04:25 PM
Hello everyone. I'm looking for some help on what to choose. I looked at Eldritch knight and didn't care much for it. Unless I'm missing something?

I want to choose a fighter spell caster and ek seems far less spell caster enough for me. I have 2 options can you help on what you think is better. Thanks

A. high elf fighter(battle master) lvl 3/ Wizard (evocation) lvl4

Stats S9,I17,W11,D17,C13,CH14
Ac 19 1/2 plate w/ shield and dex
Fighter style dueling +2 damage
2nd win, action surge, 3 maneuvers ,sculp spells, warcaster feat
Weapon rapier 1d8 +6/+5 hit dam.
4 cantrips, 4 lvl 1, 3 lvl 2 which can progress to lvl 3 fireball lgt bolt etc I.e. Better spell progression, and spell choice
But only 1 melee att with maneuvers

B. 1/2 elf warlock lvl 7 Fey patron, pact blade
Stats S9, I11,W14,D17,C13,CH18
Ac 16 Mage armor dex.
Warcaster feat, fey presence, misty step
Weapon create any weapon but let's go with rapier 1d8 +6/+3
Invocation agony blast,armor shadow at will ac13, thirst blade 2 attacks with pact weapon , sculp flesh (polymorph spell 1/ day)
Spells cantrip Eldritch blast 1d10+4 x2 bolts. memorize 8 spells lvl 1-4 but cast only 2 per short rest
2 attacks melee and spam eblast very limited spells otherwise

CaptAl
2016-02-08, 04:33 PM
Or go Bladesinger. Get ridiculous defense from bladesong and full wizard casting progression plus 2 attacks per round.

Misterwhisper
2016-02-08, 05:10 PM
Or go Bladesinger. Get ridiculous defense from bladesong and full wizard casting progression plus 2 attacks per round.

Honestly the only thing that Pact of the blade gets is Weapon Bond and whatever ability they get from their patron, which is nice but not nearly enough to make up for ALL the bonuses Bladesinger gets.

Meanwhile Bladesinger gets:

Better Proficiencies
MUCH MUCH better casting ability
Not forced to take "Mandatory options" that take up your seeming class abilities.
Much better AC and Defenses
Much better utility
Much better chance to sustain a spell

I do LOVE the flavor and Role Playing aspect of Warlocks, it is just they are so horribly designed.

miburo
2016-02-08, 05:45 PM
+1 for Bladesinger if you want more spellcasting with a dash of fighter-ness.

Another option for a more charismatic fighter/mage type is to play a Valor Bard. You get full casting, two attacks per round, medium armor/shields, d8 HD, and eventually ability to attack and cast at the same time. You'll also get a lot of interesting skill options as well. You won't get the interesting new swordmage-style cantrips (e.g. Booming Blade, Greenflame Blade), but you could always take Magic Initiate (Warlock) to grab some. And with Warcaster, getting Booming Blade with Dissonant Whispers can be pretty awesome...

Ewhit
2016-02-08, 05:55 PM
hey guys I only have the players handbook. What book has the bladesinger in it. If it's a made up class by someone I'll pass and still need help on my two choices thanks

Misterwhisper
2016-02-08, 06:01 PM
hey guys I only have the players handbook. What book has the bladesinger in it. If it's a made up class by someone I'll pass and still need help on my two choices thanks

It is in the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide.

It is completely official and published and legal as any other subclass choice. As far as i know, Adventure League I know nothing about so iffy there.

It is so powerful that nobody we game with will allow it.

Ewhit
2016-02-08, 06:17 PM
Thanks for info I read on it. But it looks like our group won't be using it. Only the player handbook so I'm still stuck on choice fighter wizard or warlock blade

Any help appreciated

Syll
2016-02-08, 06:37 PM
Thanks for info I read on it. But it looks like our group won't be using it. Only the player handbook so I'm still stuck on choice fighter wizard or warlock blade

Any help appreciated

I would suggest a PLD2/Sorc5 mix, myself. You'll get heavy armory(if you start with pld), martial weapons, a fighting style, access to level one pld spells (cure, bless, etc) the ability to convert spell slots to Smite damage, 3rd level spell slots for sorc, and access to metamagic (quicken for example, so you could attack and cast in the same round), as well as bonus hp (if draconic) and bonus elemental damage (if draconic, and depending on which dragon ancestor). If done as a Half-elf you'll get a +2 to CHA (casting stat for both pld and sorc) as well as +1 to 2 scores of your choice. It would be markedly improved by having access to the attack cantrips from SCAG however (green flame blade, booming blade)

Of the two you listed, I'd probably say the battlemaster/wizard, just because the 2 slots/short rest for warlock really, really grates on me (even though i really like their other toys), and I'm a fan of the utility battlemaster has (on paper, i have yet to play one) but even then i'd be inclined to suggest battlemaster/sorc (because twin spell and quicken spell are awesome)

Petrocorus
2016-02-09, 10:34 AM
Meanwhile Bladesinger gets:

Better Proficiencies

I don't get that. The Bladesinger is proficient with light armor, wizard's weapons and one one-handed weapon.
The Warlock is proficient with light armor, all simple weapons, and whatever weapon is bonded with at the time, which can be a TH weapon.

MaxWilson
2016-02-09, 12:12 PM

Any help appreciated

Bladelock is fine, but you really want armor proficiencies and Con save proficiencies too. So I would go Fighter 1/Bladelock 6. Fiend Pact if you can swing the RP. You'll have higher-level spells than the Battlemaster, temp HP from kills, Eldritch Blast as a backup, False Life as an alternate temp HP source, and Devil's Sight/Darkness to make you a fantastic tank.

You'll be losing out on a wizard's versatility (spell swapping) and battlemaster maneuvers, but I think the trade is worth it.

Ewhit
2016-02-11, 10:21 AM
bladedancer is out since we are using pb only. I was thinking that the character would be more spell caster than fighter so how about wizard/warlock I get the pact blade for the flavor of a Mage with fighting ability 2 attacks when in melee but can cast Wizard spells utility for team or misty step mirror image in melee and eblast for main range with possible fball for aoe