PDA

View Full Version : Need help with half-vampire

DraPrime
2007-06-16, 08:51 AM
So my DM is starting a new campaign and I've been thinking of using the half-vampire template from Libris Mortis. I'll have the blood-drain special attack. My question is, what's the best class for my character so he can get a good chance to use blood drain?

CrazedGoblin
2007-06-16, 08:54 AM
if it is Attack Bonus based for the special attack maybe use a fighter or something

Zincorium
2007-06-16, 09:22 AM
Barbarian would actually be my choice, hear me out on this one.

Blood drain requires that you pin the opponent, which means you have to succeed on at least 3 separate grapple checks to use it. Thus, it is imperative that you have full BAB and high strength. You also have the limit on the blood drain of your constitution bonus, so the higher your constitution, the more you can drain.

You're also looking at a class that will help make up for the level adjustment. If you're a 3rd level character and you only have one hit dice, it had better be a large one. Combatant classes are also a lot less focused on levels than skill characters and spellcasters, and barbarians are even more frontloaded than most.

Also, my suggestion on a PrC is one I've had significant success with: Bear Warrior. Why do I suggest this? Improved Grab at 5th level, not to mention massive stat bonuses while raging. The only problem is armor, see if you can get your DM to allow the use of the Wild special quality to let you retain your AC bonus while in bear form (which is really only logical).

Fax Celestis
2007-06-16, 09:43 AM
...or, if your DM will let you get away with it, try being a Crucius from Sandstorm. +8 NA, +6 Con, +2 LA.

Half-vampire crucius barbarian? Rockin'.

TheGreatJabu
2007-06-16, 09:54 AM
Whatever you do, WHATEVER you decide on, don't pick half-vampire Monk. I have concocted a terrible voodoo curse on whoever chooses to be one for the following reason.

In my very 1st 3.0 game, we had a guy who wanted to play a half-vampire monk. He had a slight problem with dying since his LA kept him from having many hit dice.

THEN he decided that half-vampire was no good, so we had to go do a series of bizarre quests and gather strange ritual components so he could transform himself from a half-vampire into a half-dragon.

Guess who STILL had no Hit points and kept the party's cleric busy for every round of a battle? :smallfrown:

Got to admit though, if he had ever considered getting Improved Grapple, you couldn't have stopped him. But of course, as a level 3 character hanging out with a bunch of level 7's, your choice in feats is limited.

So I agree with the Barbarian or the Fighter statements. They both seem like good, reliable choices. Rangers, skillmonkeys, and spellcasters; not so much.

Pestlepup
2007-06-16, 09:58 AM
Fighter/Reaping Mauler! =) It will be a suckfest, but in a good way. Well, bad, but an evil kind of bad. :smallsmile: Barbarians are all well and good, but I just love the fighters' bonus featy goodness. Just a personal preference, though. Go with whatever fits your style and feel of play.

Raistlin1040
2007-06-16, 10:12 AM
Dragon Shaman would be fun to try. It might be a bit weak, but it'd be really fun rp wise.

Bagera
2007-06-16, 08:03 PM
run whatever mele class you choose into kensai , that would rock out.

DraPrime
2007-06-16, 08:14 PM
Alright thanks for the help. I'm going to do barbarian. I'm still considering taking a level or 2 in fighter for those nice and delicious bonus feats. Mmmmmmm, bonus feats.

Human Paragon 3
2007-06-17, 11:49 AM
Use the Bear Totem Barbarian varient from unearthed arcana (also on the SRD). You'll get improved grapple as a bonus feat as well as a grapple bonus while raging.

Kurald Galain
2007-06-17, 12:24 PM
What on earth is a "half-vampire"? Does he have one pointy tooth? Does he drink half-blood? Can half of him turn into a bat? Who thinks of this stuff, anyway? :smalleek:

AtomicKitKat
2007-06-17, 01:20 PM
What on earth is a "half-vampire"? Does he have one pointy tooth? Does he drink half-blood? Can half of him turn into a bat? Who thinks of this stuff, anyway? :smalleek:

It's the old "Dhampir" routine. Take one pregnant woman, infect her with Vampirism, and mix vigourously. Alternatively, take one woman with Lich-Loved, and a soon-to-be vampire who has recently collapsed from the draining(but is still one sunset away from rising).

martyboy74
2007-06-17, 01:55 PM
For those of you who have read the Dresden Files, the way that the Red Court vampires work would make sense.