PDA

View Full Version : Question about animal form for druid

tremblaybruno
2016-02-08, 10:12 PM
Hello i am playing a druid in dnd 3.5 , just got my animal form at level 5, while fighting a goblin (he have a sword) iam using my claw attack and my dm tell me the goblin have a oportunity attack every time i am using my claw , because like real bear i am not good using claw is that right ?.. thanks

Hiro Quester
2016-02-08, 10:25 PM
No. It's not. A creature is proficient with all its natural weapons.

Though I can see a DM wanting to add a little fun and flavor to the transition, when you are first getting used to your new form. But that's a house rule (which DM is entitled to make I guess). But it should not continue to be so once you have had a bit more practice in your new forms.

Edit: show your DM http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#animalType

Look under traits. It says there that an animal is proficient with all its natural weapons.

But to be fair, a Druid does not inherit any weapon proficiencies or other feats from the wildshape forms it takes.

Further edit: but wildshape does give you the Extraordinary special attacks of the new form. That should include being able to use claws with proficiency.

Yet another edit: but even so, lack of proficiency does not generate AOO each time. It just gives you -4 on attack rolls.

eggynack
2016-02-08, 10:36 PM
But to be fair, a Druid does not inherit any weapon proficiencies or other feats from the wildshape forms it takes.
Actually... "They are also proficient with all natural attacks (claw, bite, and so forth) of any form they assume with wild shape." Kinda interesting phrasing, cause I guess that means that you get the proficiency even if the form didn't have it. Not sure where that'd come up, but it's a thing of some kind. Besides that, AoO's just isn't what proficiency lacking does. All it does is make you take a -4 to hit. Very relevant, but nothing on the level of every hit provoking. Doesn't matter, cause you are proficient, but I guess it'd matter for other situations.

tremblaybruno
2016-02-08, 10:39 PM
thanks for your answer ... if i am changing in to a gorila who have the feat toughness i cant have the 3 life point it give ?.

eggynack
2016-02-08, 10:42 PM
thanks for your answer ... if i am changing in to a gorila who have the feat toughness i cant have the 3 life point it give ?.
Nope. I think that, if it were a bonus feat, and you were to cast enhance wild shape, then you'd get it as an extraordinary special quality, but that's not a thing you get normally.

DrMotives
2016-02-08, 10:42 PM
No, wild shape doesn't give you the default feats of whatever form you assume. You do get abilities that aren't feats, like the improved trip ability of a wolf or the claw rake ability of a tiger, but you won't get the toughness bonus hp for a gorilla.

Hiro Quester
2016-02-08, 10:43 PM
That sounds about right Eggynack. But where is that rule about proficiency from? I didn't see it in the description of wildshape on SRD. It would help if OP can show his DM that at least.

eggynack
2016-02-08, 10:49 PM
That sounds about right Eggynack. But where is that rule about proficiency from? I didn't see it in the description of wildshape on SRD. It would help if OP can show his DM that at least.
That quote's from the druid's proficiency list.

Jack_Simth
2016-02-08, 10:49 PM
That sounds about right Eggynack. But where is that rule about proficiency from? I didn't see it in the description of wildshape on SRD. It would help if OP can show his DM that at least.It's in the weapon and armor proficiencies section for the Druid.

Troacctid
2016-02-08, 10:51 PM
A bear's claw attack is a natural weapon, not an unarmed strike. Natural weapons are considered armed attacks and do not provoke opportunity attacks.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#naturalWeapons

A creature making a melee attack with a natural weapon is considered armed and does not provoke attacks of opportunity.

A real bear would not provoke, and neither do you.

Hiro Quester
2016-02-08, 10:55 PM
That quote's from the druid's proficiency list.

Of course. I was looking in the wildshape section. :face palm:

eggynack
2016-02-08, 10:56 PM
A bear's claw attack is a natural weapon, not an unarmed strike. Natural weapons are considered armed attacks and do not provoke opportunity attacks.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#naturalWeapons

A real bear would not provoke, and neither do you.
Oh, that's where that was coming from. I had no idea where the AoO thing fit in. Seemed completely out of place to me.

Edit:
Of course. I was looking in the wildshape section. :face palm:
Yeah, that's how it goes. Form changing stuff has all this inherited rules text cause it's so complicated. Always gotta check like a billion things, and also run with some core assumptions about how it works on a basic level, usually as relates to stuff like ability score modification, and size in the case of polymorph.

tremblaybruno
2016-02-08, 11:43 PM
thanks for all the answer .... but my dm still saying :yes but your not a creature so its not your natural weapons , he think my attack is just like a attack with no weapons

eggynack
2016-02-08, 11:50 PM
thanks for all the answer .... but my dm still saying :yes but your not a creature so its not your natural weapons , he think my attack is just like a attack with no weapons
That's odd. I mean, the game outright gives you proficiency. I suppose it's better to sling spells anyways.

Troacctid
2016-02-09, 12:06 AM

Wild shape is based on the alternate form special ability, which gives you all the natural weapons of the new form. Here's the relevant rules quote:

The creature loses the natural weapons, natural armor, and movement modes of its original form, as well as any extraordinary special attacks of its original form not derived from class levels (such as the barbarian’s rage class feature).
The creature gains the natural weapons, natural armor, movement modes, and extraordinary special attacks of its new form.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#alternateForm