PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Would like help refining climactic, good-guy monologue:

tectonix26
2016-02-09, 12:58 AM
So long story short, I have been in a campaign with a DM that likes to take our back-stories very seriously, as plot hooks and side quests alongside his overarcing story, specifically mine is that of a town guard who's city was razed by an Orc Warlord by the name of Aghsza (Axegob) Bohrokt (Bloodfoot) and his army, who had been incorrectly informed of the location of a silver mine being worked there.

Now my character, a Human fighter, has essentially been traumatized by this, on his worse nights he relives the event and wakes up to find his hands bleeding from holding the Orc's dropped dagger too tightly in his sleep. His only goal has been to protect those who may be threatened by raiders such as this ork, all the while listening out for any news about his whereabouts.

Now the party has learned of the location of his new camp (More like an enormous shanty town for his army) and after a particular battle in the main story, will have an army to march on the orc. Having a typical RP sense of drama, I would like a memorable monologue for when my character is able to confront his enemy.

"I could swear I remembered you as larger, though in truth it seems you have the build of a cancerous goblin, unfortunate that this moment will be so underwhelming for myself, no matter.
I would give you the chance to run, if you had left me with any humanity, but rest assured you taught me well, did you find what you were looking for? the mines? Well I guess that's redundant now, the only thing left is to give this story a conclusion. Your pathetic force is crumbling around you, you'll never feel the adrenaline of victory again, nor witness your spoils. You will die here, insignificant and forgotten but by the one man you let slip."

I'm aware that as it stands it is VERY cliche, and intend to adjust that, but any ideas from a more eloquent insulter would be appreciated :D

JoeJ
2016-02-09, 02:27 AM
I'll just toss in a mention of Tuco's opinion (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cu8iwru-Q4) of monologuing here. :smalltongue:

McNinja
2016-02-09, 02:37 AM
In this instance, showing is better than talking. You raze the camp to the ground and set it ablaze, then wound and drag the orc warlord to a hill/cliff overlooking their former camp. You say something along the lines of "Just as you destroyed my life, I have done to yours."

Then you cut his throat and kick his body down the hill/cliff.

It really depends on how much salt you want to rub into his wounds.

Bonus points if no one checks to make sure he's actually dead, because he could mysteriously survive and become a larger antagonist towards the entire group.

tectonix26
2016-02-09, 03:31 AM
Welp... good point gents, I guess I was thinking more of a challenge than a rant and I just went on and on for longer than needed, might just separate it into chunks and speak them during the fight.

Ceaon
2016-02-09, 05:11 AM
How about:

*Throws a lump of silver to orc*
"Here's your much-desired silver, Bloodfoot. You have ruined and destroyed lives for it, mine included. It's time to pay your debts."

Short, memorable, good-with-a-sauce-of-revenge, still cliché enough to be awesome.

tectonix26
2016-02-09, 05:21 AM
How about:

Short, memorable, good-with-a-sauce-of-revenge, still cliché enough to be awesome.

Oh I quite like that one~

hymer
2016-02-09, 05:35 AM
If your character is that affected, wouldn't he be more likely to stammer something like "You... You!" as he advances, his hand shaking from the recalled pain, so he has visible trouble drawing his sword. And then describe the fighting as being bitter, unglorious, and vicious, hacking away and yelling incoherently, possibly even biting or headbutting. And once he kills the orc, he could break down crying for a while, and then sink into despair when he realizes that it didn't bring the satisfaction or even the closure he thought it would.

Edit: If you're more grand in the campaign tone, maybe something like "Only one of us is walking away from this! Let's see how you do in a fair fight, you monster!"

Know(Nothing)
2016-02-09, 06:18 AM
The thing is, this orc might not even remember doing this to your character. It doesn't sound like you've had any interaction with him beyond him wrecking your town. Trying to have a grand meaningful monologue just sets him up for an even snarkier response. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVzAMmpMra8)

Plus, an orc warlord would love nothing more than to die in glorious battle. Defeating him, capturing him, showing him mercy-- this would be worse than death for him, and it gives you a chance to actually let him know who you are and what he did to you.

tectonix26
2016-02-09, 06:46 AM
In terms of whether or not the orc remembers my character, I intend to have my character throw his lost dagger at him, as an ironic reminder. Whether you guys think that is a good enough reminder or not is up to you, admittedly it's not the best method of saying "hey ugly, remember me?"

Sir cryosin
2016-02-09, 09:34 AM
Steal a line from the movie troy
(You sack of wine! Before my time is done, I will look down on your corpse and smile.)

MaxWilson
2016-02-09, 11:51 AM
I'm aware that as it stands it is VERY cliche, and intend to adjust that, but any ideas from a more eloquent insulter would be appreciated :D

I just have to say: make sure you spend as much time working on your delivery as your script. The best script in the world won't save you if you don't know how to express yourself. Practice on video and watch yourself until you are happy.

Corran
2016-02-09, 12:44 PM
For some inspiration
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=easWqy08wr8

gfishfunk
2016-02-09, 12:51 PM
I would love to see your character say "Uhm, Hi. You hurt me a lot when you razed my city. I've prepared some words about how this made me feel." Then, have your character unfold a piece of paper....

Laserlight
2016-02-10, 10:17 AM
"I could swear I remembered you as larger, though in truth it seems you have the build of a cancerous goblin, unfortunate that this moment will be so underwhelming for myself, no matter.
I would give you the chance to run, if you had left me with any humanity, but rest assured you taught me well, did you find what you were looking for? the mines? Well I guess that's redundant now, the only thing left is to give this story a conclusion. Your pathetic force is crumbling around you, you'll never feel the adrenaline of victory again, nor witness your spoils. You will die here, insignificant and forgotten but by the one man you let slip."

This is okay in a book, could be okay in a movie with the proper sequence of shots, but is way too long at the table.

Also, if you go with the "You ruined my life" approach, his response may be "So?" or "Good!" You're not talking to a nice guy who's been anguished for years because he accidentally burned down that village.