PDA

View Full Version : Faction agent background in RoT

Starchild7309
2016-02-09, 01:40 AM
So I just started playing a Wild Magic Sorcerer in a Rise of Tiamat game with the faction agent background. I was asked to accompany the group (replacing my old character) It was more of an order from the DM through Lord Neverember than a request so the group r/ping does not trust my character (which is fine, I like the dynamic). The question I have is since I am aligned with the Lord's Alliance how should I play him. He is chaotic, but still working for this group so he does have a mission to keep the adventuring party working towards the goals of the LA. He is not stupid, but kind of playing him as a goof so as to lower the suspicion on him.

All I was told by the DM is that I am to report to one of Neverembers agents about the groups movements and progress, but not really what the Lords Alliance wants them to accomplish other than the the basic stop Tiamat's cult. I have a maxed CHA, but our DM plays that social skills don't really help against PCs. I suppose most of the time I would just try to keep them on track and avoid timely side tracking, but since I don't really know what the LA wants (being a boiling kettle of opposing political ideals), I am not sure which faction in the LA is the one I should be working towards pleasing.

Rise of Tiamat spoilers, kind of...
So we had the first meeting with the Lords Alliance and got beat up pretty bad of not taking the floating city and destroying the dragon eggs in the hatchery. In our defense we were not really aware we were working for anyone other than ourselves at the time and the risk did not seem to meet the rewards. We have been tasked with trying to turn Talis the White to our side, retrieving the dragon horn, and possibly helping with negotiations with the giants. All important tasks, but my DM has been very vague on what the LA deems most important.

So yeah, if you were in this situation, how would you handle it? Should I talk to the DM more and get better specifics? How would you play the Sorcerer with and untrusting group? Any pointers or suggestions would be welcomed.

Sir cryosin
2016-02-09, 12:29 PM
I was in your position my character started off in a jail cell and the lady of Waterdeep. Offered me a job it was to travel with a group and just report back to her about what they are do and ect... other then that I just helped the party which by the way got in to a fight with 2 of my other characters and 1 other play at the table character to. I don't want to spoil anything for you. but at the end I as contacted to kill the two party members.