PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Paladin Prestiege or multi class?

Gouki330
2016-02-09, 03:19 AM
So i have bin playing a paladin up until level 8 now and have gotten bored with the character. I was wondering what i should do to spice it up a it. Im looking to swap out to another class more or less. Im in a world full of deamons and the undead. I recently lost everything i own to the wonderful deck of mystrious and wonderful things so i figured this would be a good time to just do a revamp on everything. any help would be greatly appreciated

ThisIsZen
2016-02-09, 04:01 AM
If there are a bunch of demons around, you can't really go wrong with Knight of the Chalice. Fiendslaying will let you handle evil outsiders much better, you get a second casting progression, and it's just generally a fairly neat class all around.

Andezzar
2016-02-09, 04:57 AM
Fist of Raziel works similarly, but advances paladin casting.

Not sure how much rebuilding you are allowed/willing to do, but Fist of Raziel should work very well on a cleric even though it is fluffed as a paladin PrC.

Warrnan
2016-02-09, 02:59 PM
Hmm. If you could take a flaw on your next level up, grab smite to song and song of the white raven while dipping one level of crusader.

Congratulations, you just learned how to inspire courage as a swift action. You can use most of the bard tricks to get good bonuses.

I consider those two feats, silverbrow human, Dragonfire inspiration and battle blessing to really make for a fun paladin. After that focus on doing a charging damage build.

Draconic aura (senses) or (vigor) are really good as well. This is for a more tank/ support paladin.

Frankly if I want a paladin I just use cleric but sense you are already in the middle of a campaign so this make lots of sense.

If you could rebuild him then this is what I would reccommend:
Clc3/ church inquisitor1/ ordained champion5/ prestige paladin1/ fist of raziel10

This give you several holy flavored weapon upgrades for free, lots of smiting, and 17th level cleric spells some of which are quickened by battle blessing and ordained champion.

Both builds can be a blast. GLHF.

Andezzar
2016-02-09, 03:45 PM
I consider those two feats, silverbrow human, Dragonfire inspiration and battle blessing to really make for a fun paladin. After that focus on doing a charging damage build. Silverbrow Human is a race, so it probably isn't available anymore.

Clc3/ church inquisitor1/ ordained champion5/ prestige paladin1/ fist of raziel10
That is one nice tier 1 paladin.

Warrnan
2016-02-09, 04:04 PM
[QUOTE=Andezzar;20403502]Silverbrow Human is a race, so it probably isn't available anymore.

True. I was just trying to suggest all possible changes for a Rocking Heavy Metal Paladin. Haha. Human to Silverbrow is a minor change and could be permissible per Dm. :)

However Dragonfire inspiration can provoke thrown books by the Dm. Haha.

sleepyphoenixx
2016-02-09, 04:45 PM
The A-Game Paladin (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?445134-Weekly-Optimization-Showcase-quot-A-quot-Game-Paladin&p=19866804#post19866804) is pretty popular, and for good reason. It makes playing a paladin 20 actually fun.

Other than Fist of Raziel you can also take a look at Knight of the Raven (ECR). It has the same casting progression and full BAB but different class features, focused heavily on fighting undead. It also doesn't require you to take a tax feat like Servant of the Heavens.

There's also the Hellreaver (FC2) for another anti-demon option with easy requirements. It gets Mettle and an array of abilities that are renewed each encounter, so you won't run out of juice no matter how long your day is. It does give up all casting progression though.

Then there's always the option of going into Crusader. Maneuvers are powerful and a lot of fun. If you manage to qualify for Ruby Knight Vindicator it's even better.

H

I agree with this. If you're allowed to rebuild you're almost certainly better off with a cleric base, unless you want to get From Smite to Song and the other bardic abilities or want to get Sword of the Arcane Order.
I'd replace Fist of Raziel with Knight of the Raven 10 or Crusader 1/Ruby Knight Vindicator 9 (if your DM allows you to ignore the deity requirements) though.

Troacctid
2016-02-09, 05:42 PM
Divine Crusader and Knight of the Weave are nifty options that provide you with more powerful spellcasting to help you scale into the late game. Knight of the Raven is a fun thematic choice that progresses Paladin casting and gives you a raven companion to scout ahead or harry enemies in combat, although a lot of its abilities are more focused on fighting undead.