PDA

View Full Version : Creators, How many of you are writing story arcs?

Weiser_Cain
2006-08-29, 04:41 PM
...beforehand?
And how many wing it? I’ve been planning on doing a strip and I wondered how they rest of youse tackle it. One at a time making things up as you go along or do you write it all in advance?

ElfLad
2006-08-29, 05:07 PM
All in advance. At least the basic outlines. Then I draw rough drafts of the comic on 3x5 notecards, then I ink the comics. I don't have a script written out, but have a schedule of events, and the next four to five major story arcs are basically set in stone. After that, the arcs are fairly thought out, but still subject to change.

M.A.T.E.S5
2006-08-31, 11:44 AM
...wow. I'm pretty much wingin' it.

Granted this is easier because the style of my comic is more Gag-a-day than actual storylines. When I want to do a big plotline, I'll definitely be planning most of it, but I also like to let the comic go where it wants to.

Sneak
2006-08-31, 06:25 PM
In the webcomic I just started (9 comics so far, there's a link in my sig), I've got a bit of plot development in. Not really, but a bit. You can see the beginnings of a story arc.

And I'm just completely winging it. Well, not completely, but mostly.

ElfLad
2006-08-31, 07:14 PM
Well, I've personally seen, here and on the Dominic Deegan boards, how upset some of the fanbase can be when a gag-a-day strip turns to more serious plot, so I've included plenty of indication so far that there's going to be an over-arching story in my strip. And when you have a big story, it makes sense to plan it out.

And my above post makes me sound more anal than I really am. I've recently changed a few plot points in one of the upcoming arcs. Not something that affects the story much outside of the arc, but I'm still flexible enough to allow stuff like that. Sadly, it's a bit too spoiler-y to tell you about in this thread.

Sneak
2006-08-31, 07:31 PM
Oh, and I know this might not be the right thread for it, but I'm really loving your comic, Elf.

And I agree with you about the whole gag/storyline thing, but as far as I can see in the future, my storyline will have a back seat to the humor. Of course, some of the humor will shape the storyline.

But it really doesn't matter anyway, because I don't think my comic will ever have a big enough fanbase that anyone will care. Not trying to sound pessimistic, but I think it's true.

ElfLad
2006-08-31, 08:34 PM
Yeah, probably not the best thread to put it in, (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=webcomics;action=display;num=1154106 255) but thanks a lot, anyway.

Mhina
2006-09-01, 05:15 AM
I don't have to wing it...I have other people write the plot for me ^.~

Well...since I'm one of the characters I write a bit of the plot I guess...

Firrerreo
2006-09-02, 05:38 PM
I write everything out before hand, oftentimes even the exact dialogue. I like working with an outline in front of me...otherwise I find that I sometimes get too choppy from page to page.

Besides, it helps a whole hellaovalot with foreshadowing and the like

bongotezz
2006-09-14, 05:29 PM
i started out with joke of the week stuff but swittched to a plot line after 10 comics. i'll write the first part out then make the comics while writing the second part. also have about 50 scripts in place for a new comic i'm working on. my comics are at www.bscomics.com