PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Warlock

XanOfFiveHills
2016-02-09, 06:46 AM
I am creating a Gnome Warlock for a new game starting tonight. He has a AC=13 (unable to use armor due to character concept), HP=9, I am just trying to work out the best spells to go with at 1st level. At the moment I have chosen: Cantrips - Eldritch Blast, FrostBite, 1st Level - Arms of Hadar, Hex.

Due to my low HP and AC I am debating whether to choose Expeditious Retreat instead of Hex. Hex I believe is useful especially when used in conjunction with FrostBite (if I choose Constitution as the cursed ability), but I am thinking Expeditious Retreat would be better to keep away from attacking enemies.

Plus I like the idea of using Expeditious Retreat to run into a group of enemies, using Arms of Hadar and then legging it.

Cheers

Sir cryosin
2016-02-09, 07:51 AM
I am creating a Gnome Warlock for a new game starting tonight. He has a AC=13 (unable to use armor due to character concept), HP=9, I am just trying to work out the best spells to go with at 1st level. At the moment I have chosen: Cantrips - Eldritch Blast, FrostBite, 1st Level - Arms of Hadar, Hex.

Due to my low HP and AC I am debating whether to choose Expeditious Retreat instead of Hex. Hex I believe is useful especially when used in conjunction with FrostBite (if I choose Constitution as the cursed ability), but I am thinking Expeditious Retreat would be better to keep away from attacking enemies.

Plus I like the idea of using Expeditious Retreat to run into a group of enemies, using Arms of Hadar and then legging it.

Cheers

AoA is a nice spell it one of my favorite but it sucks at low lv spell slots. According to the phb you use your temporary hit points first. So that means you're 5 temporary hit points that you're getting from AoA. Will be used first and you were most likely only get one or two uses out of it. Sex is a really good spell I would recommend you keep it not only can you give them disadvantage on whatever check you want it also allows for extra damage

JBPuffin
2016-02-09, 07:59 AM
I'm not sure your AC is that bad. Sticking to ranged DPS, you'll be totally fine with what you have.

Also, @Sir cryosin - That's a nice typo you have there.

Sir cryosin
2016-02-09, 08:18 AM
Who is your contract with? Because if you go fey you should grab the spell sleep.

Sir cryosin
2016-02-09, 08:20 AM
Hahaha nice catch lol its hex. Lol I don't even think I'll change it.

dickerson76
2016-02-09, 09:08 AM
I'm not familiar with Frostbite, but keep in mind that Hex imposes disadvantage on Ability Checks, not Saving Throws. That distinction seems to get overlooked often.

RaynorReynolds
2016-02-09, 10:06 AM
I'm not familiar with Frostbite, but keep in mind that Hex imposes disadvantage on Ability Checks, not Saving Throws. That distinction seems to get overlooked often.

Yeah. I think a lot of DMs overlook this too.

gfishfunk
2016-02-09, 10:17 AM
Honestly, I would swap out Arms of Hadar for Armor of Agathys for livability.

Level 1 is the hardest level to live through, imo. While its not great at that level, it helps keep you alive. Most things at that level have around 5 hp, so if something manages to hit you in melee, they will also die. It might be 1 use, but that 1 use is crucial. Also, you can regain it after a short rest due to warlockiness. Your best offense at level 1 is to stay alive and spam Eldrich Blast. Once you have a better HP reserve and some invocations, you can focus more on offense.

Once you hit level 2, grab arms of hadar and start dealing out some better damage.

XanOfFiveHills
2016-02-10, 03:12 AM
Thanks for all the help guys. My long term aim is to multiclass with Monk. Would that work?

Quintessence
2016-02-10, 03:59 AM
Thanks for all the help guys. My long term aim is to multiclass with Monk. Would that work?

You will be extremely MAD and I personally don't see much point to it. What are you aiming to get from monk?

Malifice
2016-02-10, 04:09 AM
Sex is a really good spell

Absolutely man. The best.

Bgharcourt
2016-02-10, 04:35 AM
Absolutely man. The best.

:elan:I tried to cast it on my wife earlier, but she saved :frown:

Citan
2016-02-10, 06:01 AM
Honestly, I would swap out Arms of Hadar for Armor of Agathys for livability.

Level 1 is the hardest level to live through, imo. While its not great at that level, it helps keep you alive. Most things at that level have around 5 hp, so if something manages to hit you in melee, they will also die. It might be 1 use, but that 1 use is crucial. Also, you can regain it after a short rest due to warlockiness. Your best offense at level 1 is to stay alive and spam Eldrich Blast. Once you have a better HP reserve and some invocations, you can focus more on offense.

Once you hit level 2, grab arms of hadar and start dealing out some better damage.
Hi all!
+1 to this. Especially if you want to keep your Invocations for free Mage Armor or Eldricht Blast enhancements.

Well, it technically "can", but I don't understand where you want to go with it that would justify the MADness and it would probably be a late blooming build.

If you aspire to more mobility, best bet is Rogue dipping. 3 levels in Swashbuckler will net you more skills, excellent uses for your bonus action (Cunning Action) and a nice boost in Initiative to ensure you're in control. Especially good if you plan on going Bladelock.

If you want more survivability and martial, Fighter is the other good choice. Equipment proficiencies, hit die and Action Surge.

Other dips may be as good or better depending on your goal. Please tell us how you envision your character at mid-levels, like at character lvl 8-9 (what role does he fill in your party, does he work better alone or enabling team combo, does he like being in frontlines, etc) so you can give proper advice. :)

Rusvul
2016-02-10, 08:18 AM
Hex is a very good spell. I would certainly recommend it over Expeditious Retreat- Also a good spell, mind, but it's better for a Wizard whose resources are less limited. Frostbite, though, ia a little redundant (and less useful than) Eldritch Blast. Not only are Fortitude saves one of the more common monster saving throws, it also deals significantly less damage (D6 instead of D10+Cha). The disadvantage imposed could be useful, but seeing as Eldritch Blast deals vastly more damage at levels 5+, you'll probably want to go with something else. (Cantrips are forever.)

I'll second (Third? Fourth?) Armor of Agathys. It isn't great at level one but those extra hitpoints can make a difference, especially if you have no armor. You shouldn't be rushing in as an unarmored first level Warlock anyways, so Arms of Hadar is of limited use. You could pick it up at level 2, it's a reasonably good spell.

What kind of abilities do you have? That determines a lot about how viable a Monk dip would be. (You probably shouldn't do more than dip Monk no matter what the circumstances.) Monks need Str/Dex, Con, and Wis, whereas Warlocks need Cha and Con. That gives you four stats you need. So unless you rolled quite high, I don't advise it. If you're using point buy... Well, good luck. Unarmored Defense only helps if you've got half-decent Wis.

If you just want Monk so that you can be viable without armor, take Armor of Shadows and leave it at that.

Joe the Rat
2016-02-10, 11:10 AM
You mention going monk - what are you after? If you are eyeing Shadow Monklock, there's plenty of advice on building to that, but mostly it's about adding a little 'lock to the Monk. Unarmored defense and cool ki tricks? Unless you have crazy high Wisdom, there are better ways to keep yourself safe.

Right now, you do not want to be in melee, period. You don't have the defenses for it. You are ranged attacks and artillery. You have the agility, you have the endless ranged attacks, you have the van with a roll of duct tape in the glove box. Play to your strengths.

1d4+3 stabbing is really sexy looking, but you're better off at 1d10 from the other side of the room until you get some defense online. (1d8+3 with a light crossbow? that's tempting for 1st level). That second level of Warlock is critical - then you can decide if you want to gear up for melee range (armor of shadows, fiendish vigor), or focus on keeping at range (repelling blast! when you say "back off," you mean "back off!").

Also keep in mind you can swap invocations and spells as you level in Warlock (though invocations are a bit slower), so you can take some specific needs early, then swap them out as better options appear.