PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Night Domain

ideasmith
2016-02-09, 07:01 AM
Night Domain
The domain of sleep, darkness, and cold.

Granted Powers
For a total time per day of 10 minutes (100 rounds) per cleric level you possess, you have low-light vision or darkvision (your choice). This effect occurs automatically as soon as it applies, lasts until it runs out or is no longer needed, and can operate multiple times per day (up to the total daily limit of rounds). Turning this ability on or off, or switching between low-light vision and darkvision, is a free action which can be used once per round. (That’s once per round total, not each.)

This granted power is a supernatural ability.

Orientation Domain Spells
1: Sleep
2: Darkness
3: Chill Metal
4: Dream
5: Symbol of Sleep
6: Freeing Sphere
7: Waves of Exhaustion
8: Power Word Blind
9: Astral Projection

CHANGE LOG

2/13/2015: Replaced Granted Power (Thank you, sengmeng.)

Debihuman
2016-02-10, 04:58 PM
Darkness Domain is in the online SRD: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/domains.htm

Since much sleep time is hand-waved by DMs, getting Blind Fight feat as domain granted power seems a better deal.

Debby

sengmeng
2016-02-11, 04:18 PM
Since there is no Day domain, but there is a Sun domain already, how would this change if you decided to go with Moon, instead of Night? (I actually had an evil moon goddess in a setting whose clerics could rebuke or command lycanthropes). I think the spell list is ok, but I think a +1 to caster level at night, or lowlight vision, or darkvision, or maybe even an effective increase to Charisma at night would be a better granted power. It comes off right now as a Sleep or Dream domain.

ideasmith
2016-02-13, 07:32 AM
Darkness Domain is in the online SRD: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/domains.htm
The Darkness domain wasn’t quite what I wanted.

Since much sleep time is hand-waved by DMs, getting Blind Fight feat as domain granted power seems a better deal.
I was expecting the faster healing to be useful in most campaigns. Is it not?

Since there is no Day domain, but there is a Sun domain already, how would this change if you decided to go with Moon, instead of Night? (I actually had an evil moon goddess in a setting whose clerics could rebuke or command lycanthropes).
A Moon domain would not fit the deities I intend this for; I have now started work on a Day domain; thank you for the suggestion.

I think the spell list is ok, but I think a +1 to caster level at night, or lowlight vision, or darkvision, or maybe even an effective increase to Charisma at night would be a better granted power. It comes off right now as a Sleep or Dream domain.
I like the lowlight/dark vision suggestion. Will put thought on what limits are appropriate. Thank you.

Debihuman
2016-02-13, 10:45 AM
If you are asleep, how are you going to use any skill? It's not like PCs are doing things while sleeping. The extra hit point gained while sleeping is nice for characters that are mildly injured but still not good for anyone really hurt. The healing domain is better for healing as you cast healing spells at +1 caster level. You'd be better off taking the Fast Healer feat if your DM allows Pathfinder feats.

Debby

sengmeng
2016-02-13, 11:34 AM
If you are asleep, how are you going to use any skill? It's not like PCs are doing things while sleeping. The extra hit point gained while sleeping is nice for characters that are mildly injured but still not good for anyone really hurt. The healing domain is better for healing as you cast healing spells at +1 caster level. You'd be better off taking the Fast Healer feat if your DM allows Pathfinder feats.

Debby

I assumed the idea was that the character becomes harder to catch unawares while sleeping. You absolutely make listen checks while sleeping.

Debihuman
2016-02-13, 04:13 PM
I think it should give a +6 to just Listen checks then to offset the -10 penalty for being asleep. Giving a +4 bonus to all saves is likewise overkill. It should be a +4 bonus to saves vs. sleep effects.

Debby

ideasmith
2016-02-13, 07:29 PM
I have replaced the granted power as per sengmeng’s advice. Since the old one is under discussion, I have repeated it here:

Granted Powers
While asleep, you gain a +4 bonus to all skill checks and saving throws. Furthermore, you heal twice as much after a full night’s sleep.

If you are asleep, how are you going to use any skill? It's not like PCs are doing things while sleeping.
Plenty of skill checks don’t involve doing anything. (Also, it is possible, if unlikely, to do things while sleeping.)

The extra hit point gained while sleeping is nice for characters that are mildly injured but still not good for anyone really hurt. The healing domain is better for healing as you cast healing spells at +1 caster level. You'd be better off taking the Fast Healer feat if your DM allows Pathfinder feats.
It’s not just one hit point: It’s one hit point per character level plus one point of ability damage.

I assumed the idea was that the character becomes harder to catch unawares while sleeping. You absolutely make listen checks while sleeping.

I think it should give a +6 to just Listen checks then to offset the -10 penalty for being asleep.
Listen checks are not the only possible skill checks that might be made while asleep. For example, if someone disguised as a tyrant’s concubine ‘rejoins’ the sleeping tyrant after the concubine has left ‘briefly’, the tyrant should get a Sense Motive check to see if he notices the difference in his sleep. Another example is sleepwalkers needing balance checks.

Giving a +4 bonus to all saves is likewise overkill. It should be a +4 bonus to saves vs. sleep effects.
No, for the same reason ‘daylight’ isn’t one of the domain spells.