PDA

View Full Version : Monk/Cleric Multi Class

StiXFletcher
2016-02-09, 08:56 AM
Hey all,

I have a one off coming up using higher level characters than I'm used to and was wondering what people thought would work best either a Sun Soul Monk 12/Light Cleric 8 or Sun Soul Monk 8/Light Cleric 12.

Thanks guys!

Sir cryosin
2016-02-09, 09:01 AM
What is the focus of this characte? Because we can help if we don't know if how you want to do with this character.

StiXFletcher
2016-02-09, 10:16 AM
I figure that the character, combat wise, would primarily use ranged attacks but often short range since Sun Bolt is only 30ft and Burning Hands is 15ft which would be the most common attacks this, with the Monk's maneuverability, would allow him to get into range then move away.On top of this tThe Monk side would provide some ranged weapon and spell defence with Deflect Missile and Evasion with Warding Flare from the Cleric helping if I get caught out in combat.

Sorry I wasn't super clear. Does this help or do you need more specifics?

djreynolds
2016-02-10, 02:52 AM
I figure that the character, combat wise, would primarily use ranged attacks but often short range since Sun Bolt is only 30ft and Burning Hands is 15ft which would be the most common attacks this, with the Monk's maneuverability, would allow him to get into range then move away.On top of this tThe Monk side would provide some ranged weapon and spell defence with Deflect Missile and Evasion with Warding Flare from the Cleric helping if I get caught out in combat.

I like the tempest cleric for monk, hit me if you dare?

StiXFletcher
2016-02-10, 05:39 AM
I do love the Tempest Cleric and was pretty tempted but my character's background is that he is a follower of one of the elemental disciplines (which are a pretty integral part of my DM's world). He has a whole load of cults which provide what are effectively side missions and alternate ways of approaching big events (which are often at odds with what's best for the party as a whole).

djreynolds
2016-02-10, 05:46 AM
I do love the Tempest Cleric and was pretty tempted but my character's background is that he is a follower of one of the elemental disciplines (which are a pretty integral part of my DM's world). He has a whole load of cults which provide what are effectively side missions and alternate ways of approaching big events (which are often at odds with what's best for the party as a whole).

An elemental monk(just choose lightning and thunder) and tempest? Could be cool

StiXFletcher
2016-02-10, 05:58 AM
That is true. However, I think Sun Soul/Light for fire is winning out. I've always loved using fire based magic and the ability to cast Burning Hands as an action (from Cleric) then again (as a Monk using Ki) as a bonus action for a total of effectively a 13d6 15ft cone seems pretty hilarious. I know it's not super powerful (I think the average damage is like 45) but I just love the idea of that many d6!

Citan
2016-02-10, 06:08 AM
Hey all,

I have a one off coming up using higher level characters than I'm used to and was wondering what people thought would work best either a Sun Soul Monk 12/Light Cleric 8 or Sun Soul Monk 8/Light Cleric 12.

Thanks guys!

Hi OP!

From what I read, my feeling is that you would be a Monk at "heart" (fluff), running around the battlefield while distributing radiant, flaming punches. This would favor making Monk the higher of both classes.

This also translates mechanically.
Comparing class/archetype abilities:
Cleric 12 (compared to 8) brings more spells slots and higher spells, Divine Intervention and Destroy Undead (duh).
Divine Intervention is good if you plan on use it, higher spells are great but, again, it means you plan on using them on a regular basis (you want to be, or have been designated as, the healbuffer of the party). But all the Domain spells you have them already as soon as lvl 9.

Monk 12 (compared to 8) brings much better movement (more base speed, water/wall walking), Purity of Body (meh, except niche cases) and better base damage (very good) as well as free AOE radiant ability (great) and 4 more ki points (meaning more "Monk" burning hands and other abilities, on short-rest).

So I would favor Monk 12 / Cleric 8 for max ASI, or Monk 11 / Cleric 9 if you don't care so much about stats/feats and really want to go to the end of your concept (fire/radiant).

Or you could even push further Monk to gain great survivability (Diamond Soul), at the expense of 4th lvl spells, being an empowered Sun Soul Monk that can also heal/buff allies and release Fireballs on occasions.

Anyways, thinking about lvl 20 characters is theorycraft (unless it's a lvl 20 one-shot). :)
Considering a starting character lvl 12 I would suggest Monk 7 / Cleric 5. You get most of your fluff-related abilities (except Improved Flare) and you can then progress in whatever order you prefer.

StiXFletcher
2016-02-10, 06:29 AM
That's really helpful thanks! Basically I have a low level character that I'm in a campaign with (currently Monk 3/ Cleric 1). But I just joined another group and I'm doing a one off Level 20 with them so wanted to use that to try to get some ideas about how best to progress my character in the other campaign (if that makes any sense!).

StiXFletcher
2016-02-10, 06:32 AM
I think Monk 11/Cleric 9 would actually be the best since I have high enough Dex. and Wis. (16 on both) that I would only need 4 ASI to max them both out.

BladeWing81
2016-02-10, 10:58 AM
I would go sun soul Monk 12/light cleric 8 since you get the best of both with the third ASI, 1d8 punches, poison immunity, wall-walking and Searing Sun Burst(Kamehameha) from sun soul Monk. From cleric you get 4th lvl spells, 2 ASI, destroy undead and adding your Wis Modifier to your cantrips.

StiXFletcher
2016-02-10, 11:23 AM
But I have no need for 5 ASI since I have 16 on Dex. and Wis. so surely Monk11/Cleric 9 to unlock a second 4th level spell slot and a 5th level spell slot?

Citan
2016-02-10, 11:40 AM
But I have no need for 5 ASI since I have 16 on Dex. and Wis. so surely Monk11/Cleric 9 to unlock a second 4th level spell slot and a 5th level spell slot?
You're right on this and I wholeheartedly agree with you on this point. In terms of features, 11/9 is strictly better indeed.

With that said, there are also Feats to consider. Maybe there are some that you would fancy: Resilient (always good), Mobile (so you can freely disengage if you go melee), Elemental Adept (for Burning Hands and Fireball), Lucky (always great), Magic Initiate: Druid (grab Shillelagh and Thorn Whip), Spell Sniper (works with Radiant Sun Bolt).
And if so, then you're stuck with 12/8.

With that said, your build is one of the most self-reliant (= no need for feats) I've ever seen, so it's perfectly fine to stay with your idea of 11/9.

StiXFletcher
2016-02-10, 11:46 AM
Feats are a good point. Hence I'm going for a Variant Human as my race. Tbh, I've wasn't overly interested in most of the Feats lucky is quite out of character so I'm thinking just going for Tough.

djreynolds
2016-02-11, 03:02 AM
Feats are a good point. Hence I'm going for a Variant Human as my race. Tbh, I've wasn't overly interested in most of the Feats lucky is quite out of character so I'm thinking just going for Tough.

Tough is a tough sell over resilient con, take the latter. Sounds fun, really cool concept.

StiXFletcher
2016-02-11, 06:45 AM
Why would you say that Resilient (Con) would be better than the increased hit points provided by tough? What sort of things are Con Saving Throws used for?

Citan
2016-02-11, 06:55 AM
Why would you say that Resilient (Con) would be better than the increased hit points provided by tough? What sort of things are Con Saving Throws used for?
Well, you know, a few minor inconveniences such as...
- Becoming blind (a bit sad, especially for a martial XD) because of Blindness/Deafness, or reduced (Enlarge/Reduce), or poisoned (Ray of Sickness).
- Sustaining heavy damage (Circle of Death, CloudKill, Finger of Death, Harm, Freezing Sphere, Sunburst)
- Suffering a grave disease that may become permanent (Contagion) or turned into plain stone (Flesh to Stone).
- Being rendered unable to fight with Levitate and such...

Nothing much, really... XD

StiXFletcher
2016-02-11, 07:01 AM
Ah fair enough! Are these common enough occurrences (as I have not yet encountered any of these) that they are of more use than the bonus HP which are useful against anything? (I honestly have no idea I am very new to D&D haven't even been playing half a year yet!)

djreynolds
2016-02-12, 01:41 AM
Ah fair enough! Are these common enough occurrences (as I have not yet encountered any of these) that they are of more use than the bonus HP which are useful against anything? (I honestly have no idea I am very new to D&D haven't even been playing half a year yet!)

A 14th level monk has proficiency in all saves, if you are not planning to take your monk to that level than resilient con is a +1 to con and proficiency in that save. Monks are a class designed for 20 levels. If you wish to multiclass into a caster, a caster fighting in melee, con affects his concentration checks and you will be using the bless spell or other concentration spells, if you fail you lose the spell and adding your proficiency score to that save (check) may be helpful.

A wizard casting in the rear may get away, with superior teamwork, never getting targeted by enemy with damage. But in melee, you will take damage and will lose concentration and have to waste an entire round recasting.

Yorrin
2016-02-12, 11:51 AM
I'm actually going to advise Monk 14/Cleric 6, since you don't seem to be much focused on the spellcasting. This gives you your Improved Flare from Light Cleric, but allows you to be more Monk-y, which is what you apparently want. Or even Monk 18/Cleric 2, if you don't care about Improved Flare.