PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Fight inside my bag

jabberwocky9
2016-02-09, 09:49 AM
I'm running a campaign in Sharn(Eberron) and there's a gladiatorial arena that operates out of a district but it's not specific to a location. It's location constantly moves as it is illegal, of course, and the city's watch is trying to shut it down. My idea, considering it is unable to be caught, that the organization running the arena is that they shanghai people to fight inside an extra-dimensional location.

My first thought was a bag of holding but living creatures only last 10 minutes inside it.

I was searching for a magic item or idea that was able to maintain an arena with spectators, gladiators, etc.

Is there a portable magic item out there that is capable of doing this?

TheTeaMustFlow
2016-02-09, 10:54 AM
I'm running a campaign in Sharn(Eberron) and there's a gladiatorial arena that operates out of a district but it's not specific to a location. It's location constantly moves as it is illegal, of course, and the city's watch is trying to shut it down. My idea, considering it is unable to be caught, that the organization running the arena is that they shanghai people to fight inside an extra-dimensional location.

My first thought was a bag of holding but living creatures only last 10 minutes inside it.

I was searching for a magic item or idea that was able to maintain an arena with spectators, gladiators, etc.

Is there a portable magic item out there that is capable of doing this?

The spell Mordenkainen's Magnificent Mansion would work well, but barring a scroll or a custom staff I can't think of any item for that (you could just have someone cast it, but that implies having a 13th level caster on tap)

A Rod of Security would work.

You could just get an air source inside a Bag of Holding, however the volume limits on a bag are quite restrictive - 250 cubic feet at maximum, which will just get you 2 medium creatures.

You could also have the arena be miles away, and have the organisers teleport there instead. Or just have it be a hollow space 100 feet underground with no way to get to it short of dimension door (and you'll need to know it's coordinates for that)

Flickerdart
2016-02-09, 11:10 AM
You could also have the arena be miles away, and have the organisers teleport there instead. Or just have it be a hollow space 100 feet underground with no way to get to it short of dimension door (and you'll need to know it's coordinates for that)
You'll want a teleporting concierge to do it for you, since not all attendants or organizers might have the ability. A bound or contracted demon would work, as would a horizon walker.

Killer Angel
2016-02-09, 12:44 PM
You could just get an air source inside a Bag of Holding, however the volume limits on a bag are quite restrictive - 250 cubic feet at maximum, which will just get you 2 medium creatures.

With reduce person, you could get 16 creatures in it, which could work for a small fight club. but you also need to extend the time of the spell.

Bronk
2016-02-09, 07:39 PM
How about having the gladiatorial arena in it's own demiplane, but have portals to the demiplane hidden inside various 'enveloping pits' that can be smuggled around.

You could have them oriented so that you could walk inside, and through the portal, or you could instead keep them at the bottom of the 50' pit, put them on the ground, and have them shoot out into their seats a la Portal.

jabberwocky9
2016-02-10, 04:21 PM
With reduce person, you could get 16 creatures in it, which could work for a small fight club. but you also need to extend the time of the spell.

That's hilarious, I like it. Make it permanent considering the organization doesn't care, they're just making money off of them. Hell, don't need anything like a portable hole. It would be just relative to **** or dog fights.

jabberwocky9
2016-02-10, 04:23 PM
The spell Mordenkainen's Magnificent Mansion would work well, but barring a scroll or a custom staff I can't think of any item for that (you could just have someone cast it, but that implies having a 13th level caster on tap)

A Rod of Security would work.

Yea, I just found that, Mordenkainen's Magnificent Mansion which I thought also would work well. I'm leaning towards that, thanks.

jabberwocky9
2016-02-10, 04:25 PM
All very helpful guys, thanks. I may use all of the above in some way or form. All useable for different settings. Thanks.