PDA

View Full Version : The divide between users, when it comes to naming Durkon's doppelganger

Nemeean_lion
2016-02-09, 10:19 AM
Ever since the reveal that the vampire who took control of Durkon is not in fact Durkon, people have been at a loss of what to call him. Some people decided to make up nicknames like Durkula, Darkon or Undurkon, while others decided to use an abbreviation of his formal title (HPOH).

With his resignation from the high priest of Hel position, all of the people calling him HPOH were left without a name to call him, so a new divide formed, as some people started gravitating towards the nicknames, some others started calling him fHPOH, and others gave him that really long and unpronounceable name that I'm too lazy to search and copy-paste into this thread.

With the strip 1022, Roy calls Durkon's doppelganger "Guy pretending to be Durkon". I am a Durkula person myself, but now that we have a semi-official way to call him, I am starting to lean towards that( or to be more exact, its acronym, which is GPTBD). Frankly, what I hope is that there will be a strip dedicated to all of the members of the OOTS having a forum-like discussion in which they decide what to call the vampire from now on. The way I imagine that discussion going is Belkar coming up with some of his original nicknames, while Elan suggests a more Thog-like approach, and convinces everyone to start calling him Not-Durkon from now on.

So, which name are you all leaning towards for Durkon's doppelganger at this point?

Vinyadan
2016-02-09, 10:32 AM
Dorkula, because I don't like him :smalltongue:

hroşila
2016-02-09, 10:32 AM
I call him Durkon, because that's the only name he's ever answered to. He's not Durkon, Roy's friend, but he's still a Durkon.

Usually the context makes it perfectly clear who I'm referring to. Otherwise, I may call him "Vampire Durkon".

Remagamer
2016-02-09, 10:36 AM
I lean towards the unpronounceable one. What is it again?
...Fishy-Murgle-Smack? :smallconfused:

Pyrous
2016-02-09, 10:38 AM
and others gave him that really long and unpronounceable name that I'm too lazy to search and copy-paste into this thread.

Do you mean Phyrnglsnyx? It's perfectly pronounceable as fear-en-gil-sniks or as [fyːrŋlˌsnɪks].

So, which name are you all leaning towards for Durkon's doppelganger at this point?

Phyrnglsnyx. Actually no, I prefer Ph'rnglsn'x.

Gift Jeraff
2016-02-09, 11:07 AM
Durkoff is still the best.

factotum
2016-02-09, 11:15 AM
Don't see what's wrong with Durkula--it's entirely obvious who you're referring to when you use it, and it gives a neat method of differentiating between the evil vampire spirit currently inhabiting Durkon's body, and the original Durkon spirit imprisoned in his head.

Keltest
2016-02-09, 11:45 AM
I too prefer the jumble of pronounceable yet difficult to remember letters and syllables.

Jasdoif
2016-02-09, 11:48 AM
My reasoning hasn't changed since the first thread on this topic: Until/Unless it becomes apparent that his designated understudy in the Godsmoot is not his thrall and therefore subject to his every whim, he's the still the de facto High Priest of Hel; so I'm sticking with HPoH for now.

Peelee
2016-02-09, 12:05 PM
My reasoning hasn't changed since the first thread on this topic: Until/Unless it becomes apparent that his designated understudy in the Godsmoot is not his thrall and therefore subject to his every whim, he's the still the de facto High Priest of Hel; so I'm sticking with HPoH for now.

Hihg Priest In Exile, in a way?

Legato Endless
2016-02-09, 02:26 PM

Agreed. Durkula is just painful to read.

DaggerPen
2016-02-09, 02:42 PM
I'm quite sold on Guy Pretending To Be Durkon (GPTBD). Vampire In Durkon's Body (VIDB) isn't bad, though.

(Personally, I never minded Durkula, but apparently some people are allergic to it, so I'm fine with something else. I will use that horrifying alphabet soup of a name, however, when someone forcibly types it with my cold, dead fingers.)

Bulldog Psion
2016-02-09, 02:49 PM
Lurky Corpsewhiskers. If it's good enough for the Belkster, etc. :smallbiggrin:

And, of course, Macey Shadows for the new High Priestess.

ti'esar
2016-02-09, 02:56 PM
I call him the High Priest of Hel or "Durkon". The transfer of his position is a sham, after all.

I don't know why people find some of the nicknames annoying (except for the new unspellable one, at least), but I don't see much reason to use them either.

Ruck
2016-02-09, 04:01 PM
Don't see what's wrong with Durkula--it's entirely obvious who you're referring to when you use it, and it gives a neat method of differentiating between the evil vampire spirit currently inhabiting Durkon's body, and the original Durkon spirit imprisoned in his head.
I use Durkula or not-Durkon. Clarity and ease of communication is important. Acronyms and deliberately difficult jumbles of consonants do not accomplish that.

goodpeople25
2016-02-09, 04:08 PM
I used to use HPoH, but now i prefer "Durkon"

Domino Quartz
2016-02-09, 04:56 PM
I use HPoH. Considering that the other priests of Hel are his thralls, I don't think he's actually stopped being Hel's high priest.

Fey
2016-02-09, 06:03 PM
Standards: (https://xkcd.com/927/)

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/standards.png

Lvl 2 Expert
2016-02-09, 06:14 PM
Durkula, Durkon, the vampire, Durks, Durkoff, Darth Durk for all I care. Anything that isn't too unwieldy and, in context, is understood by everyone. That's the weakness of Phyrnglsnyx or any of the abbreviations, you have to be in on the joke to be in on the conversation. GPTBD is only a good name when everyone in the discussion realizes what the abbreviation is supposed to mean. If you do want to go the way of abbreviations, than shorter is better. HPOH is still pretty easy to memorize and/or figure out, TGWSBBAHWTBMH is a little harder.

(Yes, that actually stands for something, I'm not going to say for what, that way I either get a demonstration of my point, or I get to be impressed.)

Deliverance
2016-02-09, 06:18 PM
Ever since the reveal that the vampire who took control of Durkon is not in fact Durkon, people have been at a loss of what to call him. Some people decided to make up nicknames like Durkula, Darkon or Undurkon, while others decided to use an abbreviation of his formal title (HPOH).

And then there are yet others who are not into such shenanigans and call the vampire by the name he answers to, Durkon, safe in the knowledge that it is clear from the context in a given post whether we are talking about the vampire spirit or the dwarf soul.

Emperordaniel
2016-02-09, 06:23 PM
I'm still calling him Phyrnglsnyx until he gives himself an actual name. :smalltongue:

Keltest
2016-02-09, 06:28 PM
I'm still calling him Phyrnglsnyx until he gives himself an actual name. :smalltongue:

and possibly after, if it isn't appropriately silly.

Roland Itiative
2016-02-09, 11:10 PM
Honestly, I don't see what's so wrong with Durkula. It conveys the message well enough that someone who comes into the forum for the first time is capable of figuring out the meaning without needing some extra context (which the unpronounceable name and HPoH, when it only shows up as an acronym during any given conversation, fail to do).

There are a bunch of other names that also fit this criteria, and they're all equally fine. But calling Durkula "Jfoadjwofjsi" or whatever is just bad communication in a medium that is supposed to cater to a somewhat broad audience.

Vinyadan
2016-02-10, 04:30 AM
There are a bunch of other names that also fit this criteria, and they're all equally fine. But calling Durkula "Jfoadjwofjsi" or whatever is just bad communication in a medium that is supposed to cater to a somewhat broad audience.

It's actually an insider joke. The comic has a relatively broad audience, but the forum is a community, and it tends to make jokes which aren't understandable by outsiders: "Haley is half-celestial! Everything is Trigak! The vampire called gymnosphynx!"

goodpeople25
2016-02-10, 04:58 AM
It's actually an insider joke. The comic has a relatively broad audience, but the forum is a community, and it tends to make jokes which aren't understandable by outsiders: "Haley is half-celestial! Everything is Trigak! The vampire called gymnosphynx!"
The vampire is a Gynosphinx?

While i'm sure this could add another level of humor for the tavern goers in #710, the Gynosphinx is a Magical beast which i'm pretty sure is incompatible with the vampire template.

Vinyadan
2016-02-10, 05:32 AM
The vampire is a Gynosphinx?

While i'm sure this could add another level of humor for the tavern goers in #710, the Gynosphinx is a Magical beast which i'm pretty sure is incompatible with the vampire template.

No, it's just that I couldn't remember how the actual fake unpronounceable name is, and there is an X in it. Phylostorgix? Anyway, writing Gymnosphynx instead of Gynosphynx is another insider joke - Gyno- means "womanly", Gymno- means "naked" Sphynx.

Rift_Wolf
2016-02-10, 06:11 AM
I was worried this might start...

I tend to use HpoH until someone else breaks the Phyrnglsnyx barrier in a thread, then I accept that it's use isn't my fault and other people who can figure out how to change their sigs (I'm on the mobile site only) bear the burden of explaining how the name came about.

Bear in mind Phyrnglsnyx is the 'Brooklyn Rage' of my jokes. It was never meant to catch on.

TheTeaMustFlow
2016-02-10, 07:10 AM
I've mostly gone for Durkula up to this point, but maybe TEFKAHPOH (The Entity Formerly Known As `High Priest of Hel`) might be worth considering - it has the merit of actually being pronounceable, unlike most of the initialisms.

Quild
2016-02-10, 07:55 AM
I'm not fond of Durkula, Durkoff, Undurkon, Darkon and that kind of names because in my mind, in the same way than "Vampire Durkon", they only work if the vampire was Evil Durkon. But he's not.

I found HPoH quite flawless from #946 to #1017, so fHPoH will do for the moment.

Also I find it fun that the forumites have so many different names for him. We sound like Belkar :D

Sir_Leorik
2016-02-10, 08:04 AM
I'm going to take a page from D&D history, and call the vampire "The Creature Durkon". Of course the original Durkon probably didn't have ranks in "Craft: Alchemy", so I can't call him "The Alchemist Durkon". :smallwink:

(Ten points to anyone who gets the reference!)

2xMachina
2016-02-10, 08:10 AM
You know... seeing OP with Roy calling him guy pretending to be Durkon, I think I shall start calling him the Pretender.

Nemeean_lion
2016-02-10, 09:49 AM
Standards: (https://xkcd.com/927/)

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/standards.png

Just wanted to take a moment to voice the fact that this comment is spot on.

I'd forgotten about that comic, but this is exactly what I've done with this thread.

So I guess that now there's 15 competing standards for not-Durkon. :smallbiggrin:

Quild
2016-02-10, 10:47 AM
Just wanted to take a moment to voice the fact that this comment is spot on.

I'd forgotten about that comic, but this is exactly what I've done with this thread.

So I guess that now there's 15 competing standards for not-Durkon. :smallbiggrin:
I had that comic on the wall near my office desk for years.

Some guy wanted me to test a new standard procedure on one of my clients. I disagreed. He insisted. He saw the comics when he came back to insist again. He decided to complain to my boss and I never heard about this procedure again :D

Thanks xkcd!

Silverionmox
2016-02-10, 12:56 PM
Let me propose a 17th standard:

The Vampire Formerly Known As Durkon, or TVFKAD.

Peelee
2016-02-10, 02:03 PM
I had that comic on the wall near my office desk for years.

Some guy wanted me to test a new standard procedure on one of my clients. I disagreed. He insisted. He saw the comics when he came back to insist again. He decided to complain to my boss and I never heard about this procedure again :D

Thanks xkcd!

That was a beautiful story. Seriously. I might have internally cheered at the end.

ti'esar
2016-02-10, 02:44 PM
I'm not fond of Durkula, Durkoff, Undurkon, Darkon and that kind of names because in my mind, in the same way than "Vampire Durkon", they only work if the vampire was Evil Durkon. But he's not.

He sort of is Evil Durkon, though, in the sense that he seems to have been created as a dark reflection of Durkon.

JustWantedToSay
2016-02-10, 02:59 PM
I like to say:

Hadurkon Helsyngel

Translation:
Spawn of Hel/hell that has durkon.

More Direct Translation:
Have Durkon Hel's fry (fry as in fish baby)

Vinyadan
2016-02-10, 03:32 PM
I like to say:

Hadurkon Helsyngel

Translation:
Spawn of Hel/hell that has durkon.

More Direct Translation:
Have Durkon Hel's fry (fry as in fish baby)

Infurko? :smallcool:

Aeliren
2016-02-10, 04:25 PM
I propose the following: "The Vampire Formerly Known as the High Priest of Hel Formerly Known as the Dwarven Cleric of Thor Known as Durkon Thundershield", or TVFKatHPoHFKatDCoTKaDT for short.

I anticipate the next time we see TVFKatHPoHFKatDCoTKaDT, though I do wonder how TVFKatHPoHFKatDCoTKaDT's plan is supposed to work.

:smallbiggrin:

BaronOfHell
2016-02-10, 06:18 PM
There are only 2 characters in this story and one of them just got stabbed. The only appropriate fashion to refer to any character left in the story is not-nale.

Pyron
2016-02-10, 06:31 PM
I think I'll just call him Bob from now on.

Vinyadan
2016-02-10, 06:34 PM

But he ain't no planet! (https://41.media.tumblr.com/a5916e5df18dc6d55a7154adf5aa9e14/tumblr_mwpahzOqoQ1rhyc9xo1_500.png)

Alchemist_Fire
2016-02-11, 12:54 AM
Macey Shadows for the new High Priestess.

I second Lurky Corpsewhiskers; but for the new high priest, I prefer "Macey Gray" since she's gray.

Vinyadan
2016-02-11, 02:16 AM
I second Lurky Corpsewhiskers; but for the new high priest, I prefer "Macey Gray" since she's gray.

I would have gone with Curly Mahstaff.

Nemeean_lion
2016-02-11, 02:35 AM
I personally think that the nickname Macey Fangface, given to her by the user ReaderAt2046 in the strip's discussion thread has a much more Belkary feel to it and therefore would be a more fitting name.

Bedinsis
2016-02-11, 09:18 AM
I used to go with HPoH, until he lost that position. I suggested Vamp-Durkon in a thread whose purpose was the same as this one. I thought it conveyed instantly who one was speaking of but since then I've only seen one person using the name, so I guess I wasn't that convincing. And I don't really want to be the 15th standard.

I am a bit uncertain of what you mean. Do you mean that those name suggestions would be appropriate names for a Durkon that became a vampire yet still was in control of his physical body?

That would be a (legitimate) strike against Vamp-Durkon as a name.

Rift_Wolf
2016-02-11, 09:39 AM

This was kind of the joke of Phyrnglsnyx; until the spirit inhabiting Durkon's body self-identifies, he has no name. So until he announces 'from this point on, I shall be Skyfllwump*!', no one will agree on a solid identifier.

*please don't start calling him Skyfllwump.

Nemeean_lion
2016-02-11, 01:08 PM
I used to go with HPoH, until he lost that position. I suggested Vamp-Durkon in a thread whose purpose was the same as this one. I thought it conveyed instantly who one was speaking of but since then I've only seen one person using the name, so I guess I wasn't that convincing. And I don't really want to be the 15th standard.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, buddy... Let's not get carried away. The 15th standard has been officially taken by me, and it's a universal standard that covers everyone's use cases. If you're ever going to create a new standard, then it's going to be the 16th. Capeesh?

Ruck
2016-02-11, 03:30 PM

I found HPoH quite flawless from #946 to #1017, so fHPoH will do for the moment.

Also I find it fun that the forumites have so many different names for him. We sound like Belkar :D

I still think ease of understanding who is being referenced is more important here.

littlebum2002
2016-02-11, 03:39 PM

Well, you have to remember that the spirit WAS created "in the image of Drrkon". It's not just some random spirit that got picked to inhabit Durkon's body, he was created specifically for Durkon (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1007.html). So calling it "Undurkon" or "Durkula" is still pretty accurate, since this Spirit is "part Durkon", in a sense. He didn't exist, or have a name, until Durkon was vamped, so I see no reason why "Durkon" can't be part of his name.
Of course, it's possible that Durkula was lying about all that, but that's just something we have to live with.

Pyrous
2016-02-11, 04:48 PM
Well, you have to remember that the spirit WAS created "in the image of Drrkon". It's not just some random spirit that got picked to inhabit Durkon's body, he was created specifically for Durkon (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1007.html). So calling it "Undurkon" or "Durkula" is still pretty accurate, since this Spirit is "part Durkon", in a sense. He didn't exist, or have a name, until Durkon was vamped, so I see no reason why "Durkon" can't be part of his name.
Of course, it's possible that Durkula was lying about all that, but that's just something we have to live with.

Even if Skyfllwump was lying, he is still was pretending to be Durkon, and is controlling his (vampirized) body. Any name that conveys the fact that this is not Durkon, but is using his body, is accurate enough.

I like Phyrnglsnyx because not only it is an unnatural abomination that should be destroyed, it's also a mockery of all we hold dear. Just like Dead-for-brains.

Elenna
2016-02-11, 07:38 PM
I liked HPoH, but if it doesn't work anymore, I'm rather fond of GPTBD (Guy Pretending To Be Durkon). However, nobody seems to be using it, and I don't feel like being the n-th standard (n > 15) either.
I suppose I've got nothing against Durkula...

Where did weird-name-I-can't-remember come from, anyhow?

Keltest
2016-02-11, 08:02 PM
I liked HPoH, but if it doesn't work anymore, I'm rather fond of GPTBD (Guy Pretending To Be Durkon). However, nobody seems to be using it, and I don't feel like being the n-th standard (n > 15) either.

Someone cracked a joke in the previous incarnation of this thread about how if the vampire were to name itself, it would be something silly and difficult to pronounce.

Mandor
2016-02-11, 08:34 PM

I like it. In the early days of online gaming, the original EverQuest has a boss named (I kid you not) Lord Doljonijiarnimorinar.
The entire player base looked at that, and dubbed him "Lord Bob". You can still find references to it if you google "Lord Bob".

Keltest
2016-02-11, 08:46 PM
I like it. In the early days of online gaming, the original EverQuest has a boss named (I kid you not) Lord Doljonijiarnimorinar.
The entire player base looked at that, and dubbed him "Lord Bob". You can still find references to it if you google "Lord Bob".

And he had an axe named Doljonijarnimorinar.

He was a Djinn, if you need an explanation.

Pyrous
2016-02-11, 09:37 PM

Because someone was not confortable enough to keep calling him HPoH after he abdicated (that I understand given the target audience, I think the Eldritch Banana is one of the few wise enough to don't bother with it, but I'm sure there are others).

And there was people that were bothered with a name combining Durkon with Vampire or undead. (And is those guys I blame for Phyrnglsnyx. Or Skyfllwump, FWIW)

Rift_Wolf
2016-02-12, 09:09 AM
Someone cracked a joke in the previous incarnation of this thread about how if the vampire were to name itself, it would be something silly and difficult to pronounce.

This. And that idiot who cracked the joke has lived to regret it. I live in fear of an email from Rich asking why people are referring to his character as Phyrnglsnyx.

Quild
2016-02-12, 09:32 AM

I suppose there may indeed be some lie somewhere.
I'm not fond of the idea that HPoH came into existence a few days ago. He seems to know things of his own. How to speak without an accent in a first place. I'd say knowledge about vampiric powers, but he almost went out in the sun while he still was Malack's thrall.
When he gave to Durkon the talk about Domain Agreement (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0954.html), his sentence and surprise implies that in a first place, he was aware of this agreement before seeing Durkon's memories about it.

Also I don't suppose that Hel has some alarm system that asks her to stop everything because a vampire needs to be created at a very precise moment.

Because of this, I see HPoH as a spirit that existed in Hel's halls before Durkon got vamped. Maybe he had no physical shape before, maybe we discover it's true appearance at some point...
It's also entirely possible that he was created with some memories/information. Some kind of genetic memory. But that's not my main theory.

Vinyadan
2016-02-12, 10:53 AM
I suppose there may indeed be some lie somewhere.
I'm not fond of the idea that HPoH came into existence a few days ago. He seems to know things of his own. How to speak without an accent in a first place. I'd say knowledge about vampiric powers, but he almost went out in the sun while he still was Malack's thrall.
When he gave to Durkon the talk about Domain Agreement (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0954.html), his sentence and surprise implies that in a first place, he was aware of this agreement before seeing Durkon's memories about it.

Also I don't suppose that Hel has some alarm system that asks her to stop everything because a vampire needs to be created at a very precise moment.

Because of this, I see HPoH as a spirit that existed in Hel's halls before Durkon got vamped. Maybe he had no physical shape before, maybe we discover it's true appearance at some point...
It's also entirely possible that he was created with some memories/information. Some kind of genetic memory. But that's not my main theory.

To hear someone talking without an accent is like seeing something which has no colour - unlikely. This is a rather complex matter, but Roy & co. simply have a non-dwarven accent. The fact that the vampire got into Durkon already knowing a certain language and speaking it with a certain accent is kind of weird - what accent is spoken in Hel's reign? Or maybe he speaks as from a computer program with Common vocabilary, grammar, syntax and phonology all installed in their standard version. What we do know is that he has to fake Durkon's accent, so he has an accent with which he isn't native.

About gods and alarm systems, well, just think about Thor's angels :smallbiggrin: but my personal and unsupported opinion is that gods may have some automatisms in them, of which they are aware. Like our heart rate changing, they may simply expel unholy spirits when needed, which sounds rather gross.

I personally see the spirit as being born with certain undeveloped characters in its thrall form, and being consequentially freed to follow his instincts (worshipping Hel) when Malak died, when he was filled in by Hel. Or maybe Hel actually completed the already present, undeveloped spirit at that moment. I wonder if Durkon will ever describe what he saw.

PoeticDwarf
2016-02-12, 03:24 PM
I prefer Durkon, or vampire durkon sometimes

Jay R
2016-02-12, 04:57 PM
We've had the MitD so long that I prefer calling him the ViDB (Vampire in Durkon's Body).

dtilque
2016-02-13, 10:43 PM
I lean towards the unpronounceable one. What is it again?
...Fishy-Murgle-Smack? :smallconfused:

Sounds good to me. Fishy-Murgle-Smack it is.

So maybe we need an index thread for Spontaneous Nicknames for the Vampire.

This was kind of the joke of Phyrnglsnyx; until the spirit inhabiting Durkon's body self-identifies, he has no name. So until he announces 'from this point on, I shall be Skyfllwump*!', no one will agree on a solid identifier.

Too late, but we'll pronounce it Fishy-Murgle-Smack, if that makes you feel better.

Onyavar
2016-02-15, 01:41 AM

You're consciously provoking it. But don't you worry, we can't let you define two standards - your first one has to suffice. Also Skyfllwump sounds like a name fit for an Otyugh, not for a vampire. Phyrnglsnyx is way more sinister.

And there was people that were bothered with a name combining Durkon with Vampire or undead. (And is those guys I blame for Phyrnglsnyx. Or Skyfllwump, FWIW)

Well, I hated the Dracula/Duckula references, and Nosferatu isn't my thing either. My own choice name was Undurkon, but it didn't catch on - so I converted to a easily memorable standard without references to pop culture vampires. Too sad that Lurky Corpsewhiskers can't be his standard name. You know, it would make Belkar look like a hipster, once everybody uses it.

This. And that idiot who cracked the joke has lived to regret it. I live in fear of an email from Rich asking why people are referring to his character as Phyrnglsnyx.

Who has ever regretted creating his very own internet meme?Probably everyone, including the Trolololo singer who started "his" meme before the internet was even conceived.

I personally think that Rich has recognized himself how he has created confusion about the proper naming of Phyrnglsnyx/Undurkon, and he has gotten to either like it, or has by now chosen to leave it vague, just like the V gender thing, so that the Forum has something to argue about.

Actually, if Rich inserted a comic where Phyrnglsnyx/Undurkon names himself in any way, I guess half the fanbase wouldn't be too happy. Depending on the new name, people would start threads to call Rich's choice of name silly, or boring, or not as catchy as [their own creation].
If the Giant chooses one of the forumite names as Phyrnglsnyx/Undurkon's new name, people would cry "favoritism!!"
The more the Giant drags the naming, the bigger the problem. If he names Phyrnglsnyx/Undurkon in comic 1150, people will start a thread about why he didn't do it sooner and save umpteenth threads here. We are, in fact, better off without a proper name, and a new thread every month about how we should call Phyrnglsnyx/Undurkon.

ti'esar
2016-02-15, 02:45 AM
Well, I hated the Dracula/Duckula references, and Nosferatu isn't my thing either. My own choice name was Undurkon, but it didn't catch on - so I converted to a easily memorable standard without references to pop culture vampires. Too sad that Lurky Corpsewhiskers can't be his standard name. You know, it would make Belkar look like a hipster, once everybody uses it.

...are you serious?

Quild
2016-02-15, 05:32 AM
To hear someone talking without an accent is like seeing something which has no colour - unlikely. This is a rather complex matter, but Roy & co. simply have a non-dwarven accent. The fact that the vampire got into Durkon already knowing a certain language and speaking it with a certain accent is kind of weird - what accent is spoken in Hel's reign? Or maybe he speaks as from a computer program with Common vocabilary, grammar, syntax and phonology all installed in their standard version. What we do know is that he has to fake Durkon's accent, so he has an accent with which he isn't native.

[...]

I personally see the spirit as being born with certain undeveloped characters in its thrall form

I think you're missing my point. If the vampire learnt to speak from Durkon's memory, he should have had his accent to begin with.
On another hand, Durkon spend 40 years in human lands, the vampire could have leanrt from what he heard from other peoples talking around Durkon. But that's not the easiest option.

factotum
2016-02-15, 07:29 AM
I think you're missing my point. If the vampire learnt to speak from Durkon's memory, he should have had his accent to begin with.
On another hand, Durkon spend 40 years in human lands, the vampire could have leanrt from what he heard from other peoples talking around Durkon. But that's not the easiest option.

But the spirit knowing how to speak in his own voice still doesn't actually mean he *wasn't* only created when there was a need for a dark spirit to insert into the vampire--it's not like spirits are born as children and have to learn language, like fleshy people do. It also doesn't mean he has his own name.

Quild
2016-02-15, 07:44 AM
But the spirit knowing how to speak in his own voice still doesn't actually mean he *wasn't* only created when there was a need for a dark spirit to insert into the vampire--it's not like spirits are born as children and have to learn language, like fleshy people do. It also doesn't mean he has his own name.
Double negative. It's tricky.

It's one clue among others. I agree that we can't make any conclusion yet, however I like the idea that the spirit existed before Durkon got vamped.

Vinyadan
2016-02-15, 11:24 AM
I'll say it, and I won't be afraid to say it:

Edwrkon.

Vinyadan
2016-02-15, 11:27 AM

That's the thing: I don't think he learned to speak from Durkon's memory, I think he had a preinstalled package. But, of course, it's all in my mind, and bereft of proof.

Rift_Wolf
2016-02-15, 02:02 PM

Edwrkon.

Get out. Out of the Internet.
:p

Onyavar
2016-02-15, 03:20 PM
...are you serious?

Yes?

And look, how "Phyrnglsnyx" already has more supporters than "Undurkon".

factotum
2016-02-15, 04:53 PM
And look, how "Phyrnglsnyx" already has more supporters than "Undurkon".

Which is akin to saying that common colds have more supporters than influenza, because people would rather have a cold than the 'flu... :smallwink:

Rift_Wolf
2016-02-15, 05:02 PM
Which is akin to saying that common colds have more supporters than influenza, because people would rather have a cold than the 'flu... :smallwink:

Influenza is a terrible name for a vampire. It'd be a female hipster Vampire who keeps spamming the 'dominate' ability.
*waits patiently for others to get the Joke, with nought but a cricket chirp for company*

Emperordaniel
2016-02-15, 05:10 PM

When I was younger, I thought influenza/the flu was just a fancy way of saying you had a cold... :smalltongue:

Euclidodese
2016-02-15, 08:38 PM
When I was younger, I thought influenza/the flu was just a fancy way of saying you had a cold... :smalltongue:I'm told the difference between a cold and the flu is:
If you where in bed, and you knew there was a £20 note outside your front door, if you had a cold you'd go get it, if you had the flu you wouldn't.

Anyways, I suggest: 'Dwarven Undead Remorseless Killer Of Northern-Lands' or 'DURKON' for short... Oh no wait!

KorvinStarmast
2016-02-15, 08:50 PM
I'm told the difference between a cold and the flu is:
If you where in bed, and you knew there was a £20 note outside your front door, if you had a cold you'd go get it, if you had the flu you wouldn't.

Anyways, I suggest: 'Dwarven Undead Remorseless Killer Of Northern-Lands' or 'DURKON' for short... Oh no wait!
Durkula. KISS principle, and also conservation of syllables.

Note the following OoTS names:

Roy
Belkar
Haley
Elan
Varsuvius
Durkon

Max syllables allowed is Varsuvius, but the others are one or two.
Durkula adds something to the two syllable Durkon, and in fact to Durkon has been added something DARK, or Durk as they say in a long forgotten dialect of auld Dwarvish. (Work with me here, I am on a roll).

Durkula: best choice.

Asphid
2016-02-15, 09:07 PM
I think Phlegm Gar Snix is a terrible name. If I want to spell it I have to find whoever has it in their signature. Thankfully I never have to pronounce it out loud.

That said, when I first started reading the forums, I knew exactly who was being referred to by Durkula. Took me a minute to understand HPoH.

Pyrous
2016-02-15, 09:20 PM
Too late, but we'll pronounce it Fishy-Murgle-Smack, if that makes you feel better.

Now we just need the phonetic alphabet version and we can start using it.

Elenna
2016-02-15, 11:05 PM

Edwrkon.

No. (10 character limit makes me sad)

Vinyadan
2016-02-16, 06:11 AM
No. (10 character limit makes me sad)
Yesss. (I was actually wondering how you had done that)

Reathin
2016-02-16, 09:40 AM
Durkoff is still the best.

I go with this one as well, although Durkula doesn't sit badly with me either.

But you can still use HPOH! It's just Horrible Priest of Hel, rather than High Priest of Hel.

Jay R
2016-02-16, 11:54 AM
It's worth pointing out that agreement is neither necessary nor possible. I'm not even sure it's desirable, as long as we all communicate.

When Belkar called him Lurky Corpsewhiskers, we all understood him.

Whether I say the U.S. president, or Barack, or Obama, you all recognize who I'm talking about.

If I know who you mean, and you know who I mean, then it's all good.

KillianHawkeye
2016-02-16, 01:15 PM
Influenza is a terrible name for a vampire. It'd be a female hipster Vampire who keeps spamming the 'dominate' ability.
*waits patiently for others to get the Joke, with nought but a cricket chirp for company*

I get it.... :smallsmile:

Onyavar
2016-02-16, 02:19 PM
Edwrkon.

Lol, that took me a day or two to grok. Problem is it's only slightly better than Durkula.

Durkula. KISS principle, [...]

Durkula: best choice.

Phyrnglsnyx/Undurkon has as little in common with Edward (beautiful and desperate sparkly undead yearning to get cured by love) as he has with Drakula (beautiful undead prince of darkness in his own right) or, for other examples as with Angel or Spike (reformed demons fighting alongside Buffy for the greater good or whatever. Oh, and they are hot, too). I haven't noticed someone suggesting Spikon or Durngel, but it's just the same level as Durkula. By now, people should have gotten that Durkon isn't that type of vampire.

While I get the pop culture references, Phyrnglsnyx/Undurkon is:
- not a fighter for good, and not a rebel against vampirehood either
- unrepelling, evil, loyal servant of an unholy Goddess of Death
- not beautiful. Not sparkling, not in a gothic sense nor otherwise. Some of his spawn, yes, but not him.

Defenders of Durkula claim that it is a funny mock name and sets a light mood.* writing myself into a rage :smallfurious:* I also won't call lethal plagues "Happilaria" or "YAYDS" just to mock them and set a light mood when discussing them. Yes, there is a joke behind Phyrnglsnyx as well, but at least it's not a pop cult ref on a totally different kind of vampires.
The KISS principle can kiss me elsewhere: "Undurkon" is just as simple and short; and "Vampire Durkon" is the most succinct way to refer to him clear and simple.

Calming down, sorry to get this emotional. Really, in a serious context "Durkula" is just so plain wrong, in my opinion. Hel and her followers aren't remotely like the usual villains. Xykon, Nale, Tarquin or the IFCC are cool guys on a rampage cracking jokes. They're evilly funny in their own ways - but the vamps don't seem to be like that. I can't help but take them deadly serious in-comic.

tl;dr:
I can't claim that "Phyrnglsnyx" is especially catchy, but it is just a name as many others, and it's not a really bad name.
I know that a majority in the forums will probably keep the Durkula moniker, but keep in mind that many others really dislike it.

Ruck
2016-02-16, 03:26 PM
It's worth pointing out that agreement is neither necessary nor possible. I'm not even sure it's desirable, as long as we all communicate.

When Belkar called him Lurky Corpsewhiskers, we all understood him.

Whether I say the U.S. president, or Barack, or Obama, you all recognize who I'm talking about.

If I know who you mean, and you know who I mean, then it's all good.

This is precisely why I use a name that has a connection to Durkon, to make it obvious, rather than making up a complex name because I "don't like the idea" of connecting the vampire spirit to Durkon.