PDA

View Full Version : Running a RP-focused campaign

_flint_
2016-02-09, 12:21 PM
I'm starting a campaign with a few friends. Because I've got the most experience, I'll be running. Based on a personality test, the group consists of the following player archetypes:

-2 storytellers
-1 explorer
-1 watcher
-and me, historically a watcher

Never been comfortable roleplaying but it looks like I've got a lot of it in store if I'm going to run a good game for these guys. I'm totally out of my element so I'm turning to you guys for help. Maybe some setting/story ideas? Tips for writing and playing engaging characters? Thanks in advance!

AMFV
2016-02-09, 12:23 PM
The main thing I think is to find a system that will accommodate your roleplaying, and to find a setting that everybody will find compelling. As well as compelling primary plots. The storyteller folks should be fairly easy to pull into the story, just by having compelling plots. The explorer will need a rich and compelling setting. The watcher will be the hardest to successfully pull into the main game, but that's not unworkable.

The key I suspect, is to find out what kinds of story arcs the players actually want, and then try to accommodate them.

_flint_
2016-02-09, 12:30 PM
Definitely doing a session just to run through backstory. All the watcher needs is chances to crack jokes, so I'm more worried about the story

Geddy2112
2016-02-09, 01:35 PM
Agree that you need a session zero to describe the setting and generate characters.

Make the storytellers linked to stories and plots that take them to the ends of the earth, or whatever place your campaign is in. That gives the explorer equal reason to travel, and plenty of entertainment for the watcher.

Classic find the X, go to the great place of Y to do Z, or strange rumblings in A that group B is hired to investigate. All playing into the personal story of the characters, namely the storytellers.

Anxe
2016-02-09, 02:39 PM
Sounds like your group wants to play Dungeon World! It's better for you as the Watcher archetype because the players have a lot more control over the story. Good for the storytellers and the explorer because they have a lot more control over the world.

Not so hot for the watcher player, but I don't know what system would work well with them...

Rules of Dungeon World are simple and the basic rules are free online. The DM's role is a little tougher at first, but once you get the hang of it I feel it will be much easier and a good fit for your group.

Knaight
2016-02-09, 03:14 PM
You need interesting NPCs, with depth, and you need a number of them. Setting complexities and all that are generally good, but RP-focused tends to translate to character-focused, and while the PCs carry a lot of the load for that (at least they should), if the NPCs aren't up to scratch the game suffers heavily.

Siegemonkeys
2016-02-09, 08:53 PM
Agreeing with what the others have said already, and adding that you should have a rough idea of what your character is like. What are his values? What does he like to do for fun? What does he find annoying? What was his childhood like and how did it affect who he is today? You don't have to think out every single detail about him, just enough to give you a rough skeleton that gives you an idea of how he would act in different circumstances.

You might try googling Character Development Questions or something to that effect, look for one of those lists of questions concerning your character and what he's like. Might help you develop your character some, making it easier to roleplay them.

Sam113097
2016-02-10, 12:46 AM
Sounds like your group wants to play Dungeon World! It's better for you as the Watcher archetype because the players have a lot more control over the story. Good for the storytellers and the explorer because they have a lot more control over the world.

Not so hot for the watcher player, but I don't know what system would work well with them...

Rules of Dungeon World are simple and the basic rules are free online. The DM's role is a little tougher at first, but once you get the hang of it I feel it will be much easier and a good fit for your group.

Definitely my favorite system for RP-heavy adventures. I second the suggestion of Dungeon World. It's not rules heavy at all, and the focus is all about telling a story, only rolling dice when something is in doubt. Dungeon World is great if you don't want rules to get in the way of what your players want to do. If you do run it, it can take some getting used to (no initiative/turns), so I would recommend the Dungeon World Guide:https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3269630/dwdotcom/eon-guide/Dungeon%20World%20Guide%20pdf%20version%201.2.pdf
It has some advice that might help you get all your players involved.
Good Luck!

Lacco
2016-02-10, 04:42 AM
Make it easy at first. Complicated characters and stories will come later - begin easy. Have fun (this is important). Challenge your comfort limits, but do it only if it sounds fun for you - it will make the thing easier.

And for beginning - clichés and tropes are your friends. Subvert them, use them, build on them - don't fall into the trap of trying to be 100% original - the players are expecting some tropes to be in play.

If you need to roleplay a character, think of an actor/character from a show and use his mannerism/system of speech - or invert it. Or just take some inspiration of them - your villain may act like "evil Picard". The barman? Think of Sting in Lock, Stock & Two Smoking Barrels, but with dwarves... :smallsmile:

This helped me a lot - mainly because you have a guideline - and when you get more comfortable with the roleplay, you can experiment with complicated characters and stories.

Also, good thing for RP is to write down one or two sentences the character would use. You don't need to use them, but you will know how this character would speak.