PDA

View Full Version : Help me forcefully fix an issue

Haveatya
2016-02-09, 03:28 PM
So, a person has acquired a bound shadow demon that is slowly taking his body over. So the party has decided to correct the problem by removing and banishing the demon. This guy wants to keep him though. We recently found a love potion and this man is unaware. He has a wife and I'm a skilled illusionist spy.

Plan is to potion him on the date so he will see the fake, they go back to a room with a magic circle set up under the rug. The pair use ropes so I tie him up as he willingly accepts. Once tied, I gag him to prevent magic casting.

Rest of the party bursts in and we then excise the demon.

Anyone have any advice to improve the plan? Thoughts about what might go wrong?

And yes this a PC we are doing this to, but he killed another of our party last session.

Segev
2016-02-09, 03:43 PM
What's the potion do for this plan, again? You already have somebody impersonating his wife, with whom he's already in love, right? I think I'm missing something here.

PallentisLunam
2016-02-09, 03:53 PM
Can you trust the player not to metagame the moment he realizes that his character is being set up?

Kane0
2016-02-09, 03:55 PM
Nice plan. Someone is a supernatural fan I take it?

Haveatya
2016-02-09, 04:04 PM
What's the potion do for this plan, again? You already have somebody impersonating his wife, with whom he's already in love, right? I think I'm missing something here.

Well it's his wife, but he's a s*** anyhow. So this will also rectify that issue. Kind of helping her out

Haveatya
2016-02-09, 04:06 PM
Can you trust the player not to metagame the moment he realizes that his character is being set up?

No not really, but the NPC he chose for wifey was an NPC introduced in my back story. So me playing her won't be ooc suspicious.

Haveatya
2016-02-09, 04:09 PM
Nice plan. Someone is a supernatural fan I take it?

Yea, I didn't even think about that though. Must be coded in me now.

PallentisLunam
2016-02-09, 04:09 PM
Okay, is the DM on board with this plan? And on a slightly different note I am assuming that the player wants to keep the demon and just isn't roleplaying their character at all, yes?

Haveatya
2016-02-09, 04:16 PM
Okay, is the DM on board with this plan? And on a slightly different note I am assuming that the player wants to keep the demon and just isn't roleplaying their character at all, yes?

The DM encourages intraparty stuff to be handled by us. With him determining rules and rules alone.

The player is very laissez faire and power hungry OOC. He stole some stuff from the guy he gutted and we know IC. He's an unneeded stressor IC and this is just too much.

PallentisLunam
2016-02-09, 04:19 PM
In that case your plan seems like it should work in game and your only worry would be someone blowing it IRL.

Talamare
2016-02-09, 04:25 PM
but he killed another of our party last session.

I was going to just say let him keep his demon, but if he's killed a PC already... Then just murder him

Typewriter
2016-02-09, 04:28 PM
You said he's power hungry OOC - is removing the demon going to actually do anything about that?

Something else to consider - maybe you guys can convince the DM to let you guys use the demon to resurrect the dead player? Either as an evil ritual binding the spirit to someone better able to control it or as part of a deal to an angel or something - we'll give you the demon, you give us back our friend?

RulesJD
2016-02-09, 04:37 PM
So, a person has acquired a bound shadow demon that is slowly taking his body over. So the party has decided to correct the problem by removing and banishing the demon. This guy wants to keep him though. We recently found a love potion and this man is unaware. He has a wife and I'm a skilled illusionist spy.

Plan is to potion him on the date so he will see the fake, they go back to a room with a magic circle set up under the rug. The pair use ropes so I tie him up as he willingly accepts. Once tied, I gag him to prevent magic casting.

Rest of the party bursts in and we then excise the demon.

Anyone have any advice to improve the plan? Thoughts about what might go wrong?

And yes this a PC we are doing this to, but he killed another of our party last session.

A few things wrong with this plan:

1. Magic Circle is very much visible. "Glowing runes appear wherever the cylinder intersects with the floor or other surface."

2. Magic Circle against a demon already possessing another player would either prevent the player from entering the circle (it acts like a wall) or immediately rip out the demon as the player physically walks through but the demon cannot.

Better plan:

1. If you only have access to 3rd level spells, use Glyph of Warding -> Magic Circle. That will actually trap the demon because you can wait for it to go off after the player/demon has entered the AoE.

2. If you have access to 4th level spells, just use Banishment and concentrate for 1 minute. Player will return, demon will go to its home plane and be stuck there.

Haveatya
2016-02-09, 04:39 PM
I was going to just say let him keep his demon, but if he's killed a PC already... Then just murder him

We'd like to, but we're a LG/NG party mostly. We're gonna save him from himself is our plan here really.

Haveatya
2016-02-09, 04:43 PM
A few things wrong with this plan:

1. Magic Circle is very much visible. "Glowing runes appear wherever the cylinder intersects with the floor or other surface."

2. Magic Circle against a demon already possessing another player would either prevent the player from entering the circle (it acts like a wall) or immediately rip out the demon as the player physically walks through but the demon cannot.

Better plan:

1. If you only have access to 3rd level spells, use Glyph of Warding -> Magic Circle. That will actually trap the demon because you can wait for it to go off after the player/demon has entered the AoE.

2. If you have access to 4th level spells, just use Banishment and concentrate for 1 minute. Player will return, demon will go to its home plane and be stuck there.

1) Under the rug in the room.
2)That'd be fine actually.

1) I'm not sure we have a GoW. I will look into it though.
2) it says the targeted creature only is banished and stays in the plane. He's from here but demon is just riding. So RaW I'm not sure.

Typewriter
2016-02-09, 04:43 PM
We'd like to, but we're a LG/NG party mostly. We're gonna save him from himself is our plan here really.

Do you guys know the PCs opinion on this though? Is he resisting giving up the demon IC and if so do you have reason to believe the demon is forcing him to say that? If he's in support of the demon, of his own free will, you're not saving him from himself - you're letting him get away with murder.

krugaan
2016-02-09, 04:46 PM

You can "murder" him and then immediately stabilize him... provided the demon leaves when he's dead.

If not, just tie him down when he's asleep, that's much simpler than all this subterfuge.

If that doesn't work, do it in real life.

gameogre
2016-02-09, 04:47 PM
The only other thing I can think of is to let it slip at the game table that this is plan A, Plan B is to put him into the dirt.

If he doesn't want to reroll that might go a little bit towards making him role play everything ok in the end.

Really though this just sounds like a #$#$ idea and will just lead to badness for the group.

Typewriter
2016-02-09, 04:49 PM
Really though this just sounds like a #$#$ idea and will just lead to badness for the group.

I would agree, but some tables are more comfortable with this sort of thing than others. The DM keeping out of it makes me think that it's probably not uncommon for this group.

SharkForce
2016-02-09, 04:56 PM
iirc, you can (or perhaps must) make magic circle unidirectional. an inward-facing magic circle is completely possible.

and it shouldn't be too hard to hide anyways (although the glyph of warding magic circle would also work).

CantigThimble
2016-02-09, 05:19 PM
When Glyph of awarding 'casts' a spell does it always go off immediately even if the spell has a longer casting time?

RickAllison
2016-02-09, 05:20 PM
You said that the Magic Circle would be covered with the rug, but that still counts as an intersection with the cylinder for the sake of visibility. That might pose an issue.

Haveatya
2016-02-09, 05:24 PM
We're pretty sure he is being influenced heavily and not clear headed. Really the love potion use is to get rid of it before some others in the party try and use it for other things.

A lot of secret agendas in the party

djreynolds
2016-02-10, 05:38 AM
I find fireballs are great. Locked doors, locked treasure chests.... And divorces. Or making windows or widows.

Spore
2016-02-10, 05:48 AM
We're pretty sure he is being influenced heavily and not clear headed. Really the love potion use is to get rid of it before some others in the party try and use it for other things.

Any sensible LG/NG character would've dropped such a concoction on the dirty floor a long time ago.

Segev
2016-02-10, 10:07 AM

A lot of secret agendas in the party

Are you sure the first statement is true, in light of the second? :smalleek: