PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Sphere Of Power: Enhancement Open Beta

Amechra
2016-02-09, 03:33 PM
As some of you might have noticed, Drop Dead Studios is producing a series of expansions for the Spheres of Power system, each expanding a given Sphere. I got the wonderful opportunity to work on the Enhancement Sphere Handbook; now, despite some setbacks, it is 90% complete.

The last 10%, of course, being feedback. Now, I'm almost certain that there are some mistakes that I've missed and wording that can be tightened, and I would like to humbly request that the Playground take a look at the...

Enhancement Handbook (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1tNmuEQ_ODpOxdO4-lXy2Tav34y8-ELeXLXghkzc_Wrs/edit#)

Please, bring up any problems you can find - it would be greatly appreciated.

• Give Magic Life needs some way of generating a CR for the effect.

• Maybe a race?
• Should the Spirit-wielder's awakened weapon get spell points? It currently does not. [SORTED OUT]
• Small spot-edits for clarification. [MOSTLY SORTED OUT]
• Sphere Alchemist - yes or no? [PROBABLY GOING TO BE IN THE WAR HANDBOOK]
• The handbook needs a better name. How does The Improver's Handbook sound? [SORTED OUT]
• Should Herculean Scion get a couple of non-Painful Magic drawbacks to balance out Fortified Casting? [SORTED OUT, NO COMPLAINTS YET]

Amechra
2016-02-11, 12:07 PM
I take it that no-one has found anything so far?

khadgar567
2016-02-11, 12:18 PM
I take it that no-one has found anything so far?

well considering your own work is equal to xefas's work ( İt's a compliment) Its really good supplement

Amechra
2016-02-11, 05:01 PM
well considering your own work is equal to xefas's work ( İt's a compliment) Its really good supplement

Thanks! However, no-one's perfect, and some people have already found some areas of confusion.

Now, some questions for the readers:

1. Give Magic Life needs some kind of CR and (possibly) rules for applying class levels to the intelligent spell. I can't think of any good rubrics that don't boil down to "look it up on a table".

Does any have any suggestions?

2. A Spirit-Wielder's awakened weapon currently gains Spheres and Talents - however, it does not gain spell points. I initially did so to force the weapon to concentrate on any buffs it wants to hand out - however, I am ready and willing to hear arguments to the contrary.

One possible solution would be to give the weapon spell points equal to its highest mental ability score modifier.

Extra Anchovies
2016-02-11, 05:15 PM
Here's some feedback on most of the archetypes - I don't have enough experience with Sphere Wizards or Armorists to comment on the Occult Researcher or Whitesmith.

Herculean Scion:

Spell Pool: Fortified Casting without Draining Casting? Nice. Makes them a bit crazy as a one-and-done for a more casting-focused build, though.

Divine Fortitude: So this is a Con-casting, high-Fort class, and this feature makes their Fortitude save even higher? Okay. I'd much rather have Resist Magic - which would also make sense on a Hercules-type, because then they'd have decent Reflex and Will saves by merit of sheer HEROIC POWER rather than high Dexterity or Wisdom.

Divine Gift: half-level scaling and a spell point cost together make this generally pretty bad. A lot of domain powers (Destruction's destructive smite, Madness's vision of madness) already scale with 1/2 cleric level, so I'd set effective cleric level equal to class level. How does this work with the Liberation domain's Liberation power? Most uses/day powers are 3+Wis, but Liberation is 1 round/level/day. Does it cost one spell point per round? Also, how does this interact with passive powers, like the class skills from Knowledge and Trickery, the resistance bonus from Protection, the speed increase from Travel, the familiar from Vermin, or the save bonus from Void?

Mystic Combat: ha-hey! This is the sort of thing that the stock Mageknight really wants, so it's good to see an archetype getting it. A lot of buffs aren't very relevant without full CL scaling, and restricting the buffs to self-only keeps them as the one doing the fighting.

Flesh of the Gods: Yawn. Immunity to poison and disease is nice, but I'd rather have Marked because the latter adds something interesting to gameplay.

Divine Transubstantiation: In a game with both SoP and Paizo magic, this locks 20th-level Herculean Scions out of a lot of really good buff spells (Enlarge Person, etc). Might want to say that they are treated as an Outsider whenever it's beneficial to them.

Snake Oil Salesman: This is useless for player characters outside of intentionally low-powered games. They lose the ability that makes them relevant in combat, and in exchange get casting that won't get them anywhere near relevant in combat - as a low-caster, their save DCs are nowhere near competitive, and Special Delivery kills your whole party's action economy (standard from the caster to create the effect, standard from each target to acquire the effect, plus however many move/standard actions it takes to distribute the pills). They also cast from Charisma, normally a dump stat for rogues, and need to max out a Wis-based and otherwise generally useless skill for their magic to be reliable. It's kind of a cute concept for a villain of the week, but mechanically this is really bad and I can't see any way for it to be even sometimes worth taking on a PC while sticking to its current theme.

Spirit-Wielder:

Coax the Weapon-Spirit: This doesn't actually say that it's gained at 2nd level, and it probably should for completeness's sake. Also, the weapon doesn't have a Strength or Dexterity score, so it can't make attack rolls - is the reference to Aid Another only referring to mental skills?

Kindle the Weapon-Spirit: This is pretty neat. Not much else to say about it.

Weapon Training: "Great Enhancement" refers to "Greater Enhancement", right? If so, the option to replace a Weapon Training instance with Greater Enhancement is worthless - each new instance of Weapon Training increases the attack/damage bonuses for all previous instances by 1 and gives a +1 with a new weapon group, while a +1 increase to the awakened weapon's enhancement bonus would give +1 to hit and damage with only the first instance of Weapon Training, and enhancement bonuses can be dispelled or otherwise suppressed while Weapon Training bonuses cannot.

Regarding spell points - a small scaling pool of spell points would probably be good, because then the fighter can sometimes have more buffs active at higher levels. Maybe 1+highest mental ability modifier? That puts it at an eventual six spell points.

Amechra
2016-02-11, 06:00 PM
Thanks for the feedback, Extra Anchovies!

Herculean Adept

1) The answer to your Divine-Gift-based questions are ones I can't answer - which is a bad thing. I'm going to need to edit it to take "non-standard" domains into account.

2) I might just drop Divine Fortitude entirely - your argument makes sense.

3) Other stuff will get some spot fixes.

Snake Oil Salesman
To be honest, I kinda figured that would be the case. I'm trying to think of some other way they can contribute in combat, other than "serve buffs to party members and self" and "grab Destruction".

Spirit-wielder
1) Yeah, the weapon can just Aid Another with Cha/Int/Wis skills.

2) The point you bring up vis-a-vis trading a Weapon Training is very true - I'll have to replace that (and that was a typo - it was supposed to be Greater Enhancement.)

A.J.Gibson
2016-02-12, 10:40 AM
I keep thinking that the alchemist class should probably get some support in this book; maybe with an archetype of something. They're all about enhancing chemicals, so it fits thematically.

stack
2016-02-12, 03:19 PM
Alchemy fits poorly with spheres, at least without heavy use of traditions. The buffing is a fit though.

Been a busy week, I'll go back over the doc again when I get a chance.

Amechra
2016-02-12, 04:25 PM
I mean, they'd pretty much just use the Apothecary Casting Tradition - that's kinda what I put it in there for. Just refluff the lozenges as potions, toss on Personal Enhancements, and rock out.

I'd probably replace their spellcasting with an Elementalist-type progression, and would go through and fiddle with the Discoveries to fix up any that mess with your Extracts.

I'll add that to the list - I have a free day tomorrow, so I should have time to go through and pull of larger overhauls (like Operation: Make Snake-Oil Salesman Not An NPC Class).

Eldaran
2016-02-12, 11:23 PM
Like others I'm hesitant about the free Fortified Casting from dipping Herculean Scion. Why not apply it only to their Mageknight casting?

I like the concept of Drawback feats, cool idea. Adds an additional dimension to drawbacks.

I would add some wording to the Spellthief feat for purposes of games that still use traditional spellcasting, like allowing it to apply to Transmutation spells. Maybe add an additional school for each time you take it?

Enhance Belief "You may enhance creatures, granting them alignment subtypes corresponding to the non-Neutral components of their alignment. " Needs the "to" in there. Seems awfully situational as well, since you could just give them DR/Adamantine instead.

Enhance Focus and Emphasize Training currently stack, should they?

False Energy seems weird, out of place, and a poor version of Life Restore ability. I think it should do something more, like boost Strength/Dex skills and ability checks.

Supply Vigor - Should this work on Ability Burn too? I think the Destruction Handbook used some form of it.

Ascetic Control should probably mention it's permanent

Seems like Give Magic Life and Bestow Life will let you permanency a whole bunch of buffs, that's not a good thing.

Referential Enhancements mentions Abstract Enhancements, what is that? The old name?

stack
2016-02-13, 09:43 AM
Destruction handbook does use ability burn for one feat and one archetype. It functions as ability damage that can only be healed by resting, which fully heals it.

A.J.Gibson
2016-02-13, 11:33 AM
One thing I'm noticing is that there are a lot of feats which require enhancement for some reason. Does your 'you can have two contingencies at once' feat really need enhancement as a pre-req? One of the things I liked about SoP is they put meta-magic effects like counterspelling and contingency into feats rather than spheres so that everyone could have access to basic tools. It feels like you are trying to co-op meta-magic into the enhancement sphere.

A.J.Gibson
2016-02-13, 05:03 PM
Alchemy fits poorly with spheres, at least without heavy use of traditions. The buffing is a fit though.

How about this:

Sphere Alchemist

Casting: The sphere alchemist may combine spheres and talents to create magical effects. The sphere alchemist is considered a MidCaster and uses Intelligence as his casting ability modifier. (Note: All casters gain 2 bonus talents and may select a casting tradition the first time they gain the casting class feature.)
This replaces the spells class feature.
Spell Pool: The sphere alchemist gains a small reservoir of energy he can call on to create truly wondrous effects, called a spell pool. This pool contains a number of spell points equal to his level + her Intelligence modifier (minimum: 1). This pool replenishes once per day after roughly 8 hours of rest.
Magic Talents: A sphere alchemist gains 1 magic talent every time he gains a caster level.
Recommended Casting Tradition: The classic feel of the alchemist can be recreated through taking the extended casting and prepared caster drawbacks.

Alchemical Magic
The alchemist has the ability to cast spells and place them into alchemical extracts for later use. To do this, they casts the spell into the extract, paying the spell point cost at that time. The spell must cost a minimum of 1 spell point or else the extract costs one spell point anyways, and the spell must be a spell that can be cast in one standard action (no rituals). The extract must be used within 24 hours or else it goes inert. It does not have to be used by the alchemist, however.
There are three forms of alchemical objects:
Potions allow the alchemist to turn a single target spell that targets a willing subject into the form of a vial of liquid that can be drunk as a standard action.
Oils allow the alchemist to turn a single target spell that affects an object into a sticky fluid that can be applied to the object as a standard action.
Missiles allow the alchemist to turn a spell with an area of effect into a thrown weapon that can deliver the spell. On impact, the missile becomes the center of the effect.
When the alchemist prepares an extract, they may use their alchemist level in place of their caster level. This stacks with caster levels from other sources normally. Other discoveries enhance their extracts.
This replaces alchemy.

Master Mixer
Whenever the alchemist learns a new sphere, they may add a drawback to that sphere that indicates that it only works with their extracts.

Grenadier
The alchemist receives the Destruction sphere as a bonus magical talent with the drawback that it can only be used to prepare extracts. They also gain the splash weapon blast shape. This blast shape does full damage to the target of the bomb plus the alchemist’s intelligence bonus, and splash damage to creatures adjacent to it. This blast shape requires no spell points.
In addition, each day the alchemist can prepare a number of bombs equal to their level plus their intelligence modifier without paying the minimum 1 spell point cost normally incurred for paying extracts. They can apply destruction blast types and blast shapes to these bombs normally, but decide in advance what they are applying, and must pay any spell point costs incurred.
This replaces bombs.

Discoveries
The alchemist may add the following discoveries to their list of discoveries:
Talented – the alchemist may learn an additional magic talent.
Potent – any saving throw to resist the effects of an extra takes a -1 penalty.
Effective – whenever dice are rolled to determine the effects of an extract, treat all 1’s as 2’s.
Delicious (requires Life) – whenever a person drinks one of your potions, they are invigorated.
Monster Ball (requires Conjuration) – your missiles can contain a conjured creature
This modifies discoveries.

So basically they are prepared casters who get bonuses for turning their spells into extracts (like full CL).

DrMartin
2016-02-14, 10:29 AM
one thing: the talent "increase speed" compares very badly to "improved haste" in the time sphere (+10 to one speed against +30 to all forms of movement). You could make a more generic "enhance mobility" talent of sorts, which along a small speed boost could grants things like bonuses on acrobatics/jump/climb/fly/swim skill checks, and/or the ability to ignore difficult terrain.

Amechra
2016-02-15, 12:06 PM
one thing: the talent "increase speed" compares very badly to "improved haste" in the time sphere (+10 to one speed against +30 to all forms of movement). You could make a more generic "enhance mobility" talent of sorts, which along a small speed boost could grants things like bonuses on acrobatics/jump/climb/fly/swim skill checks, and/or the ability to ignore difficult terrain.

I've thrown a nice bonus to any Athletics, Fly, or Swim checks you might make as part of that movement.

Also, Haste lasts CL rounds. Improve Speed lasts CL minutes by default. Improve Speed also scales to a +50ft bonus.

They fill different niches, and (AFAICT) stack with one another.

A.J.Gibson
2016-02-21, 09:25 PM
I did some more work on the alchemist. Does this seem good to people? Does the enhancement writer want it, or should I stick it in my War Handbook?

Sphere Alchemist

Casting: The sphere alchemist may combine spheres and talents to create magical effects. The sphere alchemist is considered a MidCaster and uses Intelligence as his casting ability modifier. (Note: All casters gain 2 bonus talents and may select a casting tradition the first time they gain the casting class feature.)
This replaces the spells class feature.
Spell Pool: The sphere alchemist gains a small reservoir of energy he can call on to create truly wondrous effects, called a spell pool. This pool contains a number of spell points equal to his level + her Intelligence modifier (minimum: 1). This pool replenishes once per day after roughly 8 hours of rest.
Magic Talents: A sphere alchemist gains 1 magic talent every time he gains a caster level.
Recommended Casting Tradition: The classic feel of the alchemist can be recreated through taking the extended casting and prepared caster drawbacks.

Alchemy
Alchemists are masters of chemical-based magic. They can not only create mundane alchemical items, but also more advanced works. An alchemist can create extracts, bombs, and mutagens that duplicate the effects of the magical talents.
Extracts are the most varied of the three. In many ways, they behave like spells in potion form, and as such their effects can be dispelled or countered. To create an extract, the alchemist casts the spell they wish the extract to duplicate and pay the necessary spell points. It takes one minute per spell point to create the extract, and an extract always costs a minimum of one spell point. No craft check is required to create an extract, unless the alchemist took the Skilled Caster drawback.
Once created, the extract can be used by the alchemist by drinking it. The extract will only work for the alchemist - it has no effect if drunk by someone else. When the alchemist prepares an extract, they may use their alchemist level in place of their caster level. This stacks with caster levels from other sources normally. When an extract has a duration of concentration, it instead lasts 1d4+1 rounds. Likewise, extracts that have a duration in rounds last 1d4 rounds longer.
To be turned into an extract, the spell must affect the alchemist only; it can not affect others, the equipment they are carrying, or an area around them. Some spells commonly used in extracts include:
-Shapeshift (Alteration Sphere)
-Meld (Dark Sphere)
-Divine and Sense (Divination Sphere)
-Enhance (Enhancement Sphere)
-Word (Fate Sphere)
-Invisibility (Illusion Sphere)
-Cure and Restore (Life Sphere)
-Glow (Light Sphere)
-Aegis (Protection Sphere)
-Haste (Time Sphere)
If a spell can perform multiple functions (such as what conditions a restore spell can remove), the alchemist may make that decision at the time of use. It is ultimately up to the GM what spells can and cannot be converted into extracts. Spells that give an ability rather than making the alchemist the target of an ability (such as telekinesis) generally can not be turned into
Although the alchemist can cast spells into extracts, they can still casts spells conventionally, too, unless they take some specific drawback to prevent it. Extracts, bombs, and mutagens the alchemist creates go inert in a number of hours equal to their casting ability modifier plus half their alchemist level (rounded down).
When using Craft (alchemy) to create an alchemical item, an alchemist gains a competence bonus equal to his class level on the Craft (alchemy) check. In addition, an alchemist can use Craft (alchemy) to identify potions as if using detect magic. He must hold the potion for 1 round to make such a check.
This replaces alchemy.

Bomb (Su)
The alchemist gains the Destruction sphere as a bonus magical talent, with the drawback that it can only be used to prepare bombs. A bomb is an alchemical item that holds a destructive blast and is (usually) thrown at a target. A bomb can hold any destructive blast, including one with a blast shape. If a bomb has no blast shape, then it instead does splash damage to all creatures adjacent to the target (or target square).
To create a bomb, the alchemist casts the spell they wish the bomb to duplicate and pay the necessary spell points. Making a bomb takes one minute plus an additional minute per spell point spent, but unlike extracts, there is no minimum cost for a bomb. There is a limit to how many bombs the alchemist can create however: the alchemist can create a maximum number of bombs equal to their alchemist level plus their casting ability modifier. No craft check is required to create a bomb, unless the alchemist took the Skilled Caster drawback.
When the alchemist prepares a bomb, they may use their alchemist level in place of their caster level. This stacks with caster levels from other sources normally. Only the alchemist can effectively use their bomb as a weapon.
Throwing a bomb requires a standard action that provokes an attack of opportunity. Thrown bombs have a range of 20 feet and use the Throw Splash Weapon special attack. Bombs are considered weapons and can be selected using feats such as Point-Blank Shot and Weapon Focus. On a direct hit, an alchemist's bomb inflicts damage equal to the destructive blast within plus any additional damage the alchemist does with thrown weapons. Splash damage from an alchemist bomb is always equal to the bomb's minimum damage. Those caught in the splash damage can attempt a Reflex save for half damage. The DC of this save is equal to 10 + 1/2 the alchemist's caster level + the alchemist's casting ability modifier.
This replaces bombs.

Discoveries
The alchemist may add the following discoveries to their list of discoveries:

Basic Chemistry
The alchemist can make temporary ingredients using their raw magical ability. By spending 1 spell point, they may create 50gp per alchemist level worth of ingredients to be used in the creation of alchemical items, including explosives, medicines, and poisons. Anything made with these components becomes inert in a number of hours equal to half the alchemist’s spell casting ability modifier plus half their alchemist level, rounded down. They can duplicate the effect of the components, but what they create is obviously not the same, and can not be used as alchemical spell component. SImilarly, they can not create food with any nutritious value, or even with a tolerable flavor.

Delicious (requires Life Sphere)
Whenever one of your extracts is used, the person drinking is invigorated.

Energy Physics
When you create a bomb, you may give it the Acid Blast, Electric Blast, Fire Blast, Frost Blast, or Thunder Blast blast type even if you don’t possess that blast type.

Enhanced Potency
Whenever dice are rolled to determine the effects of an extract, add +1 to each die rolled.

Oil Extraction (requires Enhancement Sphere)
The alchemist can produce an extract which is an oil. Oils work as extracts, but for enhancement spells that target objects. The oil is applied to the object, and then the spell takes effect, enchanting it. Applying the oil is a standard action, and the alchemist must be able to apply the oil to it (it’s not intangible, or a fluid) and it must not be an item worn by an uncooperative creature.

Special Ammunition
When the alchemist acquires this discovery, they choose a sphere they possess that it applies to. They may create bombs that deliver area spells from that sphere. These bombs do no damage unless the spell used to create it does. Any spell that fill a definite area (rather than striking a number of targets in an area) can be turned into a bomb. Some good candidates include:
-Darkness (Dark Sphere)
-Consecration (Fate Sphere)
-Geomancing (Nature Sphere)
-Barrier (Protection Sphere)
-Totem (War Sphere)
-Control Weather (Weather Sphere)
If the spell effect has a duration of concentration, it instead lasts 1d4+1 rounds. If it has a duration in rounds, it lasts an additional 1d4 rounds.

Talented
You may choose two additional magic talents. These talents may only be used to prepare alchemical items. If either of those talents is a prerequisite for another talent you have, that talent is similarly limited.

Toxicology
You may a new type of extract: a toxin. A toxin works like an extract, except that it can be used on an unwilling target. And single target spell that can be delivered against an unwilling target using a touch attack can be turned into a toxin. Treat the toxin as a poison with effects equal to the spell, and with no ability to stack modifiers. Toxins can be used just as contact poisons are, and can be applied to weapons for delivery.

Zoological Study (requires Alteration)
When you create an extract with a shapeshift talent in it, one of the traits granted may come from an alteration talent you do not possess.

The following discoveries have been altered:

Combine Extracts
Benefit(s): The alchemist can join create an extract with two different spell effects. When it is drunk, both spells are cast. The cost of making this extract is equal to the sum of the costs of the spells plus 1 spell point. Each individual spell must also cost a minimum of 1 spell point.

Elixir of Life (requires Life Sphere)
Benefit(s): You gain the resuscitate talent if you do not already have it, with the drawback that it can only be used to produce extracts. When your resuscitate extract is used, it stays in the system of the drinker for up to 24 hours. if that person is killed, it automatically activates on their next turn.

Intuitive Understanding
Benefit(s): If the alchemist drinks an extract of the divination sphere while under the effects of a cognatogen, he receives a +4 insight bonus to all perception checks regarding anything sensed with that power while under the effects of both the cognatogen and the extract.

Material Mastery (Ex)
Benefit(s): By expending an extract of the same sphere as a spell prerequisite when crafting a magic item, you take only a –2 penalty for ignoring that requirement, instead of –5.

Spell Knowledge
Benefit(s): Whenenever you regain spell points, you may choose a magical talent that you do not have for which you meet the pre-requisites. You can make alchemical items with that talent as if you possessed it. This last until the next time you regain spell points.

This modifies discoveries.

stack
2016-02-22, 07:18 AM
For reference, there is a blast shape that somewhat mimics bombs. Would need some adaptation to make it work right for an alchemist since it can currently be handed to others and costs a spell point. Or leave bombs as-is since half the discoveries apply to them. Simpler than remapping to destruction.

A.J.Gibson
2016-02-22, 11:08 AM
For reference, there is a blast shape that somewhat mimics bombs. Would need some adaptation to make it work right for an alchemist since it can currently be handed to others and costs a spell point. Or leave bombs as-is since half the discoveries apply to them. Simpler than remapping to destruction.

You mean in the destruction handbook? I was going to use that, but I wanted one that was free and less good.

I think mapping it to destruction gives it a lot more potential. Most of the discoveries still work fine, and the damage doesn't even change. Plus, I wanted a way for the alchemist to be able to toss out area effects from other spheres, and this was easier than my original design. I was even thinking of making mutagen an enhancement so you can combine it with other things.

I really do like this design. My only concern is that being able to 'pre-cast' everything makes a lot of drawbacks a lot better. I can see a dedicated alchemist taking verbal, somatic (2), skilled (alchemy), prepared, and longer casting times (or strenuous from my war book) to get double spell points per level.

So is this a keeper, or maybe I should stick it in the war book?

Amechra
2016-02-22, 01:19 PM
Honestly, I'd say stick it in the War Handbook - it would feel like stealing your hard work to try to adapt it for the Enhancement Handbook at this point.

It has also been brought to my attention that the current name for the handbook is... not very good. How does The Improver's Handbook sound to everyone?

I've also gone through and addressed issues with the Herculean Scion and the Snake Oil Salesman; the latter has more to do in a fight, and the prior has been clarified and tweaked.

As a big however, I have not removed the fact that the Herculean Scion receives Fortified Casting as part of the Spell Pool class feature. It makes too much internal sense for them to base their amount of magical mojo on their Constitution. Part of me thinks it would be fine if I also gave them Magic Signs and Obvious Enhancements to balance out the boon.

Thoughts?

Amechra
2016-02-22, 01:23 PM
One thing I'm noticing is that there are a lot of feats which require enhancement for some reason. Does your 'you can have two contingencies at once' feat really need enhancement as a pre-req? One of the things I liked about SoP is they put meta-magic effects like counterspelling and contingency into feats rather than spheres so that everyone could have access to basic tools. It feels like you are trying to co-op meta-magic into the enhancement sphere.

I wrote those feats super early in development, and have only gotten around to tweaking them recently. Now all of them are solidly rooted in the Enhancement sphere, rather than in the "Putting Words On Paper" Sphere.

Amechra
2016-02-22, 01:46 PM
Like others I'm hesitant about the free Fortified Casting from dipping Herculean Scion. Why not apply it only to their Mageknight casting?

Because you pool spell pools together when multiclassing; it kinda prevents you from pulling off easy fixes like that.

Would also getting Magical Signs and Obvious Enhancements to balance it out look good, though? In exchange for basing your spell pool of Constitution, your magic makes you light up like a Christmas tree.

I like the concept of Drawback feats, cool idea. Adds an additional dimension to drawbacks.

Thanks! It's the kind of thing that makes internal sense to me - if you've got some defining drawback to your magic, why not capitalize on it sideways?

I would add some wording to the Spellthief feat for purposes of games that still use traditional spellcasting, like allowing it to apply to Transmutation spells. Maybe add an additional school for each time you take it?

That runs into a weird area because Enhancement and Transmutation only partially overlap.

Enhance Belief "You may enhance creatures, granting them alignment subtypes corresponding to the non-Neutral components of their alignment. " Needs the "to" in there. Seems awfully situational as well, since you could just give them DR/Adamantine instead.

That was due to it slipping my mind that Harden could also be used on creatures. Now Enhance Belief gives the creature the option to increase their DR, but doing so would, for example, turn DR/Adamantine with DR/Adamantine or Good.

Enhance Focus and Emphasize Training currently stack, should they?

Yes. Enhance Focus is actually a stealthy buff to taking 20, in that it eventually scales up to getting a +10 on, well, Taking 10. I originally thought of having it be a "Take 20 faster!" talent, but Enhance Focus currently plays better with skill-monkey class features dealing with taking 10, like Skill Mastery.

False Energy seems weird, out of place, and a poor version of Life Restore ability. I think it should do something more, like boost Strength/Dex skills and ability checks.

It is out of place, I'll admit. I've been debating dropping it (or tweaking it and turning it into the Dual Talent for the Life Sphere). Thoughts?

Supply Vigor - Should this work on Ability Burn too? I think the Destruction Handbook used some form of it.

I'm going with no, here - unlike ability damage and drain, ability burn is exclusively used as a balancing mechanic. So being able to ignore it dulls the drawbacks of using the talent/feat/spell that is designed around the idea that you'll have to deal with it.

Ascetic Control should probably mention it's permanent

That's a good point.

Seems like Give Magic Life and Bestow Life will let you permanency a whole bunch of buffs, that's not a good thing.

On the other hand, those buffs are now under the control of an NPC that has no obligation to like you or do what you say. It brings it's own drawbacks to the table.

Referential Enhancements mentions Abstract Enhancements, what is that? The old name?

That is the old name, from back when it let you enhance abstract qualities directly.

Newbosauras
2016-02-22, 10:15 PM
Did you consider doing a dual sphere talent with creation? It might be hard to balance, but given the synergy between creation and animate object it seems like a potential fertile ground for talents. Maybe something like

Living Creation:
Prerequisites: Level 10, Creation Sphere, Enhancement Sphere, Animate Object.
Whenever you create an object you may spend an additional spell point to immediately animate it, so long as it does not exceed the size of object you are able to animate.

or

Animation Spike:
Prerequisites: Level 5, Creation Sphere, Enhancement Sphere, Animate Object
You may spend three spell points to create an animation spike. An animation spike is a magical object capable of animating any object it is hammered into. It may not animate an object that exceeds the size of object it's creator is capable of animating, if it is hammered into such an object it is immediately destroyed. Once hammered into an object it functions for 1 minute per caster level of it's creator. EDIT: Maybe make it a magical item actually, although you didn't have a section in your handbook for that... so maybe just ignore this one.

Feel free to modify or use either of these, and apologies if this input was not wanted or in the wrong place.

Edit2: Also the additional construction point abilities seem really fun. Especially the combination of fluid and armor, make for some really fun possibilities. There was a character from a show who had a massive ball of animated mercury that he would use to hunt people down or block incoming attacks, the ability to recreate that in a high level Sphere Caster just reinforces how much I love this system and appreciate all the people who contribute to it.

Amechra
2016-02-23, 04:59 PM
Did you consider doing a dual sphere talent with creation? It might be hard to balance, but given the synergy between creation and animate object it seems like a potential fertile ground for talents. Maybe something like

Living Creation:
Prerequisites: Level 10, Creation Sphere, Enhancement Sphere, Animate Object.
Whenever you create an object you may spend an additional spell point to immediately animate it, so long as it does not exceed the size of object you are able to animate.

or

Animation Spike:
Prerequisites: Level 5, Creation Sphere, Enhancement Sphere, Animate Object
You may spend three spell points to create an animation spike. An animation spike is a magical object capable of animating any object it is hammered into. It may not animate an object that exceeds the size of object it's creator is capable of animating, if it is hammered into such an object it is immediately destroyed. Once hammered into an object it functions for 1 minute per caster level of it's creator. EDIT: Maybe make it a magical item actually, although you didn't have a section in your handbook for that... so maybe just ignore this one.

Feel free to modify or use either of these, and apologies if this input was not wanted or in the wrong place.

Edit2: Also the additional construction point abilities seem really fun. Especially the combination of fluid and armor, make for some really fun possibilities. There was a character from a show who had a massive ball of animated mercury that he would use to hunt people down or block incoming attacks, the ability to recreate that in a high level Sphere Caster just reinforces how much I love this system and appreciate all the people who contribute to it.

I actually have a scrapped Creation dual sphere talent - let me brush that off and drop it in the document.

Check out Reforge Servant.

Amechra
2016-03-16, 12:55 PM
Sorry about letting this lie fallow for a bit - I have sorted out the Snake-Oil Salesman and the whole Fortified Casting - Herrculean Scion issue since I last posted.

Anyone willing to give the document another look-over that hasn't already?

SwordChucks
2016-05-18, 02:14 PM
Currently the graft construction point ability looks like it could be abusable if you could get just a few extra CP. Most of the special attacks an animated object can gain are based around grab and being able to get a hand that has grab, constrict, strangle, and burn seems like the best use.

Can an attached object be removed or attacked independently of its owner?

Also, is Beseeching the Lock a reference to Lords of Magick?