PDA

View Full Version : The Mind Control Warlock

In Retrospect
2016-02-09, 07:02 PM
My group and I are about to start the OotA adventure from Wizards of the Coast. I have heard that there are not only demons but many incursions of beings from the Far Realms and that in general it is a very psychological, mind bending type of adventure. To keep in theme with this cheery discomforting PTSD inducing adventure I have decided to be the (I have never heard of this being used before) Great Old One pact warlock, completely focused on mind-related and psychic abilities.

Any suggestions on how I could make this build viable both in-combat and out? Will it work in the future (I hear that this campaign takes us to level 15)? And how should I play it, I am a bit new to both D&D 5e and the warlock class.

MadBear
2016-02-09, 07:05 PM
Well if your looking to mess with peoples minds. Take the many faces feature (lets you cast disguise self). Then while looking like other people cast the "friends" cantrip do get them to help you out (for 1 minute). At this point, leave from their site, turn back to your normal self, and watch as they become hostile to their allies.

RickAllison
2016-02-09, 09:38 PM
Well if your looking to mess with peoples minds. Take the many faces feature (lets you cast disguise self). Then while looking like other people cast the "friends" cantrip do get them to help you out (for 1 minute). At this point, leave from their site, turn back to your normal self, and watch as they become hostile to their allies.

That is one of my favorite tactics! Do take care to run this by your DM ahead of time to learn how he interprets Friends/Charm Person. Some DMs agree that it is based on who they think charmed them, but some interpret the knowledge of who charmed them as magical. With that camp, they often rule that the target knows you were the one who did the spell even if they neither saw you cast it nor saw your true appearance. In most of these cases, its specifically to foil this wonderful tactic.

Bgharcourt
2016-02-10, 05:15 AM
The awakened mind pact feature has served me well for most of my warlock'n games. most say its just for RP fluff, but I have had many uses for it in combat. I have used it to act as a closed circuit camera(very DM dependent) for ranged PC's (I.E, I send a picture of an enemy position). Also for the use(abuse) of Suggestion, Charm Person, Friends, and any spell that requires the target to hear you to take affect. And Thought Shield is great for OotA(you'll see).

Like the others have said, Masks of Many Faces is the tits and will lead to very interesting social encounters. Pair it with Misty Visions to turn a possible enemy ambush into a PC Roflstomp. Don't forget to pick up Dissonant Whispers for (@max level for warlock)7d7 psychic damage, and the fear affect. High level Hold Person is an encounter ending spell, fly is always great, Invisibility for sneaking around, oh I could go on and on.

As for how to play it, in the end its up to you. How I have done it is I never use my voice in social interactions. I always use my awakened mind. It puts folks on guard, as they don't know if I can read their thought or not, and I tend to get the truth from them with Detect Thoughts anyway. I even flavored it that when I reach out with my mind to someone, invisible, cold tendrils sprout from the center of my forehead and attach to their temples. Those in the party with high perception can actually see the cold mist rising from them.

I have had much fun with my little Mindlock, and I know you will too. Happy gaming.

In Retrospect
2016-02-10, 04:44 PM

That is a very interesting tactic and I'll have to try using it. Our DM is a bit on the serious side (great for horror and grim dark campaigns, not so great for funny shenanigans in those settings). I'll have to run some of this stuff by him.

Also any tips for higher up in the levels, the warlock spells are all very different from the other classes' ones.

RickAllison
2016-02-10, 05:00 PM
That is a very interesting tactic and I'll have to try using it. Our DM is a bit on the serious side (great for horror and grim dark campaigns, not so great for funny shenanigans in those settings). I'll have to run some of this stuff by him.

Also any tips for higher up in the levels, the warlock spells are all very different from the other classes' ones.

Then let it be serious. I have a PC who IC hates the dwarf fighter. If we get to actually explore a city, I'm seriously considering having him masquerade as the other PC while committing murders and thefts. Sleight of Hand to plant some evidence on him and it takes the plot in a very serious and dark direction as he is thrown in prison and potentially put on the chopping block. It doesn't hurt that the party wouldn't exactly be aware of my PC could shapeshift.....

Rather than making the disguise a silly shenanigan, leverage it to incite chaos and destruction in the service of your fell patron. Or something like that, I just like chaos.