PDA

View Full Version : Fun and exotic character ideas and builds.

jangartharn1
2016-02-09, 10:35 PM
Hey guys so my regular dnd group is starting a new campaign and I could use some help coming up with some fun and exotic character builds to play. I've been stuck as the parties "tank" for who knows how long and I want to spice it up this time around. Alright any ideas you could post about would be greatly appreciated thanks.

daremetoidareyo
2016-02-09, 10:44 PM
sparrow hengeyokai dragonfire adept. Finally be the tiny fire breathing bird you always knew was inside you.

keeping with the bird theme, how about Birdman stunna (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?367850-Birdman-Stunna-or-How-I-Learned-to-Stop-Worrying-and-Punch-Evil-in-the-Face&highlight=birdman+stun)

Maybe that don't got enough for ya, perhaps you should try an anthropomorphic jumping whale or a fat thri-kreen (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?402795-Ridiculous-Character-Concepts-2-Slam-Dunk!&highlight=ridiculous+character+slam)

Shameless plug, but there are often strange builds in the optimize this feat contests. Contagious paralysis has the chance of offering you a decent monk build.

Also, there are always really weird builds in the iron chef competitions. Pick a prestige class for which you enjoy the flavor, and just look through the entries.

RoboEmperor
2016-02-09, 10:57 PM
You got it backwards dude. You don't find exotic builds in d&d, you find exotic things in real life and turn them into d&d characters. Here's some of mine:
1. Starcraft Marine. I had a Gish who crafted his own semi-automatic maxed out crossbow just went around shooting things 6 times in a round.
2. Any giant mecha anime. Its no secret Lesser Planar Binding grants you access to a Ravid, who has animate objects at-will. So use fabricate to make yourself massive spider-like hollow centaur statues and ride inside it. Or a giant humanoid, whatever floats your boat. Best thing is everything is free and expendable, unlike crafting your own golems, which are immensely costly and takes a bite out of your XP.
3. Giga Bowser from Super Mario. Gish again, but with enlarge person OR druid with colossal wildshape. Turn into a massive earth elemental shaped like giga bowser and smash everything.
4. Some sort of mirror guy I don't remember, made people fight their own reflections. Simulacrum stuff. Might have to cheese a little and get yourself a Runic Guardian with a once a day free simulacrum.
5. Some kind of robot empire show i don't remember. PaO a golem army and control it with a rod of construct control. Just keep building and building and building (by building I mean spam PaO).
6. Ninjas. Again, Gish but heavily utilizes mirror image, fogs, clouds, etc. and sneak attacks.
7. Some female Mr.Freeze ripoff I saw in some tv batman movie. Went monk, ascetic mage, and blaster sorcerer that focused on ice damage.
8. Necromancer from diablo 2. Animate Dead is awesome, especially on a dragon corpse! Depending on your DM you can make your own dragon corpses with fabricate + stone to flesh, or PaO.

Azoth
2016-02-09, 11:34 PM
I still love my Kung Fun Kitty. Tibbit swordsage that focuses on Setting Sun throw maneuvers. It involves getting Twinning Step, confound the big folk, and some other specific feats that escape me. Mechanically by level 11 you ignore size modifiers for trips, force the enemy to use its Dex to resist, and don't provoke AoOs for entering other people's squares. From there you just toss everything.

Always funny to have people realize that a Tabby Cat just hurled a Great Wyrm Dragon across the cave like it wasn't even a challenge.

*edit* Found the build:
Tibbit Barbarian2(Spirit Lion +Wolf totem)/Swordsagex focused on setting sun.

Feats:
Flaw:Wolf Lodge Berserker
Flaw:don't mind me
1: free
Barb2: Imp Trip
3:Twinning Step
6:free
9:underfoot Combat
12: Confound the Big Folk

jangartharn1
2016-02-10, 08:20 AM
All these ideas so far sound pretty legit. I'm excited to see even more!

Inevitability
2016-02-10, 11:34 AM
Hairy Spiders, from Monsters of Faerun, were given +0 LA in the update booklet, meaning you can play one if you find some way to remove the intelligence penalty (Skitterhaunt + Sentry Ooze is a favorite of mine). Then take levels in some class that doesn't care about strength and size, like warlock, dragonfire adept, or even rogue (applying sneak attack to all attacks).

jangartharn1
2016-02-10, 06:56 PM
Ok so how would I even work the hairy spider as a character? I'm curious because that sounds freaking awesome! I'm also thought the idea of the throwing tibbit would be really awesome to do as well.