PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Goblin Scout Feat Ideas?

TheCreatorT
2016-02-09, 11:50 PM
Hello fellas! So I am making a new char that is a 3.5 Goblin Scout, which will main in the Spiked Chain melee weapon. Problem is, Scout does not have a starting base attack bonus (aka +0), so I cannot use Exotic Weapon Proficiency or Weapon Finesse (since my goblin has 10 Str and 16 Dex). I was thinking for my first feat I would use Expeditious Dodge, but I want to hear what you guys suggest?

Note: Clearly this is not an optimized build. My future plans include dipping into Barb with the lion totem for pounce, dip in ranger for favored enemy and multiclassing with the Barb, and rogue. However, all of that will require a bit of leveling.

Thurbane
2016-02-09, 11:58 PM
Coincidentally, in the game we started last week, one of the other PCs is a Goblin Scout. His ability rolls weren't great, so he's focusing on ranged attacked skirmishing.

Zaq
2016-02-10, 12:36 AM
Honestly? It's really dumb that EWP and Weapon Finesse can't be taken by non-full-BAB classes at level 1, so maybe you should just talk to your GM and see if they'd be willing to bend the rules for you? Yeah, it's best to go by RAW when the option is available, but if you're actually starting at level 1, does your GM really think that it'd make the game better to prevent you from using the fighting style you intend to use for a minimum of two more levels (and that's just to get Weapon Finesse and have non-terrible attack rolls in melee, not even to get the weapon you want)?

I mean, there's following the RAW, and then there's making sure that you're not specifically disallowing a character from doing what they set out to do. It's not like Weapon Finesse actually makes you good at melee. It makes you not have an attack penalty relative to your STR-using peers . . . who do more damage as a result of adding a stat to damage, which you don't. And it's not like it's not going to be allowed eventually anyway . . . why would a level 1 Scout using DEX in melee break the game worse than a level 3 Scout doing the same?

Yeah, I know, I know, the RAW is the RAW. But seriously, talk to your GM and see if they'll bend the rules for you. It's just too dumb otherwise.

TheCreatorT
2016-02-10, 12:52 AM
Honestly? It's really dumb that EWP and Weapon Finesse can't be taken by non-full-BAB classes at level 1, so maybe you should just talk to your GM and see if they'd be willing to bend the rules for you? Yeah, it's best to go by RAW when the option is available, but if you're actually starting at level 1, does your GM really think that it'd make the game better to prevent you from using the fighting style you intend to use for a minimum of two more levels (and that's just to get Weapon Finesse and have non-terrible attack rolls in melee, not even to get the weapon you want)?

I mean, there's following the RAW, and then there's making sure that you're not specifically disallowing a character from doing what they set out to do. It's not like Weapon Finesse actually makes you good at melee. It makes you not have an attack penalty relative to your STR-using peers . . . who do more damage as a result of adding a stat to damage, which you don't. And it's not like it's not going to be allowed eventually anyway . . . why would a level 1 Scout using DEX in melee break the game worse than a level 3 Scout doing the same?

Yeah, I know, I know, the RAW is the RAW. But seriously, talk to your GM and see if they'll bend the rules for you. It's just too dumb otherwise.

You are absolutely right. This character isn't actually part of any campaign right now; I was making it for fun. Perhaps a middle ground is asking if I could have one of my Bonus Scout Feats as Weapon Finesse?

Troacctid
2016-02-10, 01:16 AM
You could try taking your first level as a Ranger? Most Scout builds already benefit greatly from a Ranger dip to qualify for Swift Hunter, since bypassing precision damage immunity can be a big deal, and since it's full BAB you can get Weapon Finesse or Exotic Weapon Proficiency at 1st level.

This is obviously less viable if multiclass xp penalties are in play, I suppose.

Inevitability
2016-02-10, 01:31 AM
Darguun Mauler gets you proficiency with the spiked chain if you can somehow manage to get proficient with the flail or heavy flail. It's the first thing I think of every time I see 'goblin with a spiked chain'.

Alternatively, start with a level in ranger, take Darguun Mauler, and take Swift Hunter later.