PDA

View Full Version : D&D minigames - how to?

Temennigru
2016-02-10, 02:27 AM
I am going to make a "parallel stories" branch of my campaign and I want to fill it with final fantasy-style minigames, such as escaping a self-destructing building filled with easy combats, getting chased by a giant demon while operating gun turrets in an airship, etc.

Does anyone know where I can find rules to do such things or at least tell me the guidelines to create them?

Hal0Badger
2016-02-10, 08:26 AM
What do you exactly mean with mini games? Because what you have described seems normal encounters to me. Can you elaborate a bit?

Florian
2016-02-10, 08:31 AM
I am going to make a "parallel stories" branch of my campaign and I want to fill it with final fantasy-style minigames, such as escaping a self-destructing building filled with easy combats, getting chased by a giant demon while operating gun turrets in an airship, etc.

Does anyone know where I can find rules to do such things or at least tell me the guidelines to create them?

I think "mini games" is the wrong term and way of thinking here.
When you design those encounters, stop thinking about "winning" in the sense that all enemies must be beaten to bloody pulp. Rather think about simply seeing them through as being the whole bases reason here.

Temennigru
2016-02-10, 06:08 PM
What do you exactly mean with mini games? Because what you have described seems normal encounters to me. Can you elaborate a bit?

Something like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlhxfiDXTxc

Think of them as combat encounters with alternative rules. One of them would be them controlling turrets in an airship with a giant demon flying behind them. I would need special rules to make the encounter more interactive than just "roll to hit", like aiming at a specific space then making the demon move.

NapazTrix
2016-02-10, 06:52 PM
Something like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlhxfiDXTxc

Think of them as combat encounters with alternative rules. One of them would be them controlling turrets in an airship with a giant demon flying behind them. I would need special rules to make the encounter more interactive than just "roll to hit", like aiming at a specific space then making the demon move.

That is the exact FF7 scene that came to mind. With your idea of Airship/demon it could be closer to this:
https://youtu.be/vdU6a3P7kM0?t=229

Have the ship flying like normal, but allow the players to shout commands to the Pilot and possible gunmen, if those are also party members give them additional rolls/different view of the battle.

(FF9 for reference)
The pilot has a wide array of "Move" to go left/right/forward/back, with a "Standard" to pull the levers to vent mist, or drain more in to raise/lower the height of the airship. Maybe give him a horn that vents mist out the sides to deal damage if the Demon is in the right place, though moving the ship in the opposite direction.

The gunmen, due to FF9 not having guns, could have some archers ready to fire, mages ready to cast spells or cannon's loaded with Bomb enemies. They can use their "Move" to aim the weapons OR to check the location of the demon, since they will be below deck it would be hard to hear orders, "Standard" would be for firing their weapons.

The main party on deck can use ranged weaponry while the Demon is on their tale, whilst trying to draw fire so that the airship stays more intact. When it gets close deal some Melee, since it is in the air/uneven ground don't allow AOO.

All in all it will force party cooperation, they will need to plan for the Demon to move, tell the pilot to move somewhere and hope the gunmen are prepared to fire for such an occasion.
The Oddball (If you have one) in the group, or someone too wounded to fight, they could rummage through the ship cargo who rolls a d100 or something to find random items to help.
Edit: The Oddball is kind of a "support" roll, so maybe be lenient and allow them to travel to any "party" within their turn and use the item.

1-10 = Handkerchief (Because you know it's bound to be there)
11-20 = Coated arrows (1d4 for different elements)
21-30 = Potion
31-40 = Bomb core (For the cannons, 1d4 for different elements)
41-50 = Snakes (1d4 damage. You need to clean that storage out, too many goddamn snakes on this goddamn airship)
51-60 = Nut or Source (For the Moogles or temporary stat boost)
61-70 = 10d100 Gil (The party doesn't need to know)
71-80 = Splash Potion (Healing for the whole Deck Party)
81-90 = Find a sleeping crew member (1d2 if useful in the fight or not)
91-100 = Demon Repellent... wait it's now just rocks? (A 1 turn stun on the Demon, but after that they are just rocks)

Since I did some emphasis on Element, since I do not know the Demon, you can have it on a rotation or 1d4 element switch, being immune to current selection whilst taking 50% more damage from opposite element.

PF rules on siege weapons: http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/ultimateCombat/combat/siegeEngines.html