PDA

View Full Version : What is the cheapest way to have unlimited access to Paper, Ink, Pens and Adhesive?

Metahuman1
2016-02-10, 09:01 AM
Pretty much the title.

Long Story Short: I have a character who's been primarily a support caster for a bunch of beat sticks. He needs a bit more DPS output. So, having talked to my DM, I came on a novel solution since I like this spell anyway.

Crafted an item that does At Will explosive Runes, and At Will Prestidigitation. The former makes the paper go boom, the latter moves it over to the target and rips it to set off the spell. (the former I paid extra for a setting so I can have it act like it's doing subdued damage per that meta-magic feat that does that.).

Now I just need a way to have a limitless supply of paper, ink, pens and adhesive to work with as ammo, and I'm good to go.

Ergo, the question in the title.

Alex12
2016-02-10, 09:55 AM
Just...buy it?
An ounce of ink is 8gp (According to this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?103962-Pages-covered-with-1oz-ink), that's probably good for about 300 pages, at least for enough text to work for Explosive Runes). You might possibly also be able to find a friendly shadowcaster (Hah!) with that one ability that lets them turn shadows into ink (HAH!) to sell it to you cheap but that seems somewhat unlikely, to say the least.
An inkpen is 1sp, and can probably last more-or-less indefinitely
Parchment (half the cost of paper) is 2sp per sheet. You probably can't subdivide it, since Explosive Runes says "You trace these mystic runes upon a book, map, scroll, or similar object bearing written information." A sheet is probably the smallest you can make it, but nothing says you can't do more than one rune per sheet.
Not sure why you need adhesive. Is this something you could use melted candle wax for?

Alternately, and probably a little more cheesy, Races of Stone gives a guide to Craft checks for written works. A novel is Craft DC 15, has a value of 5-15 gp, and, like all written works, costs 2gp per week when crafting. So you could probably buy a cheap novel and pull pages out to blow people up with them.

Miranius
2016-02-10, 10:12 AM
Well, for the ink, Summon Monster 1 gets you a Celestial Octopus. Some Handle animal later, you should be conceivably able to harvest some ink from it since it has the Ink Cloud (Ex) ability.
For the paper, just cast fabricate on your next tree/shrub/leather/bamboo to get some kind of matierial such as paper, vellum or bamboo strips that have historically been used to hold text. If nothing like that is around, cast minor creation or, even better, psionic minor creation. Mind the duration though.
As for the adhesive.... depends on the strength you need. For a weak one, just minor-create some flour and mix it with water. Use survival togather some tree-sap and mix it with some animal-fat,... For a tough one, get a monster with sticky secretions as a pet/follower/slave. Though not weak in HD, the Mimic comes to mind, its adhesive has DC 16 Str. check to remove. Harvesting that has to be hashed out with your dm though.

Also, try coming up with ways to enhance that strategy. Shoot your paper out a blowgun, stuff 100 of them into a tube and blow them out with a bottle of air, connect them to tripwires, craft them with the metamagic feat invisible spell, let flying summons use them as bombs, tie them to soarwood-spheres and let them rise up to combat airborn foes/let them be placed by burrowing summons..... You are the mad bomber, get creative ;)

sleepyphoenixx
2016-02-10, 10:36 AM
Parchment (half the cost of paper) is 2sp per sheet.

Or you can buy an empty spellbook for 100 pages of parchment for 15gp, which makes no sense but is RAW. Just rip them out to use them.
Get a few of those and you should be set on ammunition.

For the ink i agree to just buy it. People seriously overvalue anything that's at-will or infinite. Any magic item producing endless ink and paper would be expensive enough that you'd need to use thousands of pages just to break even, and it's not like the weight of paper and ink is a problem even if you carry enough to blow up an entire city.

Ruethgar
2016-02-10, 10:59 AM
Ink, Ink Pens, and Paper are all "Adventuring Gear" and not Tools or Weapons so they can be made via Prestidigitation. The only adhesive I'm aware of are alchemical or magical. The alchemical version is technically fine for prestidigitation creation, but opens up a lot more abuse than just making typical mundane things.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-02-10, 01:35 PM
There's a cantrip called stick in the Spell Compendium that permanently adheres things together.

I would suggest looking up the various uses for explosive runes on various threads here on the Playground and over at Brilliant Gameologists/MinMaxBoards.

There are lots of ways to use them, such as sticking them on walls behind the party to use as both traps and early warning systems (especially when you camp). The explosions will rouse the party and severely injure anything that sees them. Just make sure to key the entire party and whatever other critters are with you to prevent them from accidentally setting them off. You can use this to cover your back and keep the party from getting outflanked by setting ER'd papers at frequent intervals behind you. Doesn't work for mindless or blind foes, however.

You can also fill a book with runes, and have your familiar or another party member hurl the book at the enemy, followed by casting a minimum CL dispel magic. A failed dispel will explode the runes, and the damage from the first explosion should set them all off, dealing massive damage to everything nearby.

Explosive runes is a fantastic spell, especially with the Permanent duration.

Metahuman1
2016-02-10, 01:35 PM
Well, for the ink, Summon Monster 1 gets you a Celestial Octopus. Some Handle animal later, you should be conceivably able to harvest some ink from it since it has the Ink Cloud (Ex) ability.
For the paper, just cast fabricate on your next tree/shrub/leather/bamboo to get some kind of matierial such as paper, vellum or bamboo strips that have historically been used to hold text. If nothing like that is around, cast minor creation or, even better, psionic minor creation. Mind the duration though.
As for the adhesive.... depends on the strength you need. For a weak one, just minor-create some flour and mix it with water. Use survival togather some tree-sap and mix it with some animal-fat,... For a tough one, get a monster with sticky secretions as a pet/follower/slave. Though not weak in HD, the Mimic comes to mind, its adhesive has DC 16 Str. check to remove. Harvesting that has to be hashed out with your dm though.

Also, try coming up with ways to enhance that strategy. Shoot your paper out a blowgun, stuff 100 of them into a tube and blow them out with a bottle of air, connect them to tripwires, craft them with the metamagic feat invisible spell, let flying summons use them as bombs, tie them to soarwood-spheres and let them rise up to combat airborn foes/let them be placed by burrowing summons..... You are the mad bomber, get creative ;)

That's why I needed adhesive and LOT'S of this stuff.

I'm basically a chaotic good Sorcerer about to go Resistance Movement against Magi-tech Nazi's.

I'm planning on, going forward, spending a LOT of time making a LOT of explosions of various sizes, and just trolling the hell out of my enemy's.

I'm basically good aligned joker.

sleepyphoenixx
2016-02-10, 02:08 PM
If you want to use Explosive Runes as traps i'd suggest getting Shadow Weave Magic and Insidious Magic from PGtF.
Normally anything with Explosive Runes on it lights up like a christmas tree under Detect Magic, but with Insidious Magic they'll need to make a fairly difficult CL check to notice them. The only way to notice the trap is with trapfinding and a DC 28 search check, which few enemies have.

It's also useful for sneaking around and defense by adding another layer of protection to spells like Invisibility, Disguise Self, Mirror Image, Blur, Displacement, etc. - even if your enemy has See Invisibility or True Seeing he'll still need to make a CL check to see through your spells.

The only problem is that it requires Wis 15 (since you're good so you won't worship Shar), but some sorcerers get that anyway if they get Arcane Disciple, and it's not that hard to come by otherwise. The benefits are well worth it imo.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-02-10, 02:27 PM
If you want to use Explosive Runes as traps i'd suggest getting Shadow Weave Magic and Insidious Magic from PGtF.
Normally anything with Explosive Runes on it lights up like a christmas tree under Detect Magic, but with Insidious Magic they'll need to make a fairly difficult CL check to notice them. The only way to notice the trap is with trapfinding and a DC 28 search check, which few enemies have.

It's also useful for sneaking around and defense by adding another layer of protection to spells like Invisibility, Disguise Self, Mirror Image, Blur, Displacement, etc. - even if your enemy has See Invisibility or True Seeing he'll still need to make a CL check to see through your spells.

The only problem is that it requires Wis 15 (since you're good so you won't worship Shar), but some sorcerers get that anyway if they get Arcane Disciple, and it's not that hard to come by otherwise. The benefits are well worth it imo.If you make the rune large enough (a very large "BOOM!" written on the sheet, for instance), looking at it with detect magic up will make it explode, and if you're within 60', the letters should be quite readable, so you'll take full damage.

sleepyphoenixx
2016-02-10, 02:56 PM
If you make the rune large enough (a very large "BOOM!" written on the sheet, for instance), looking at it with detect magic up will make it explode, and if you're within 60', the letters should be quite readable, so you'll take full damage.

First the spell has a weight limit: One touched object weighing no more than 10 lb.

Second, the target must be "a book, map, scroll, or similar object bearing written information". While you could argue that you can write on a sheet and thus make it a valid target by RAW that's probably not going to fly with most DMs. The spell is kind of famous for its abuse potential, so i'd advise not pressing your luck on something this trivial.

Third, seeing the spells aura with detect magic is not the same as reading the writing. It just means they get advance warning and can cast dispel from a safe distance.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-02-10, 03:07 PM
First the spell has a weight limit: One touched object weighing no more than 10 lb.

Second, the target must be "a book, map, scroll, or similar object bearing written information". While you could argue that you can write on a sheet and thus make it a valid target by RAW that's probably not going to fly with most DMs. The spell is kind of famous for its abuse potential, so i'd advise not pressing your luck on something this trivial.

Third, seeing the spells aura with detect magic is not the same as reading the writing. It just means they get advance warning and can cast dispel from a safe distance.Tell me that you couldn't read the word "BOOM!" in letters 18 inches tall written on a large sheet of paper from 60' away just by looking at it.

Alex12
2016-02-10, 07:29 PM
Tell me that you couldn't read the word "BOOM!" in letters 18 inches tall written on a large sheet of paper from 60' away just by looking at it.

This is absolutely a thing I couldn't do even if I wanted to. At least, not without corrective lenses I can't, due to severe myopia. Without my glasses, I can't even see the big E on the eye chart.