PDA

View Full Version : Barbarian Aspect of the Beast question

Biggstick
2016-02-10, 04:44 PM
This is a question specifically for the bear aspect. The wording of it reads:

You gain the might of a bear. Your carrying capacity (including maximum load and maximum lift is doubled) and you have advantage on Strength checks made to push, pull, lift, or break objects.

I'm specifically looking at the last part of the aspect. If one is playing a sword and board barbarian, and doesn't have their own weapon out yet, and is wanting to conserve rages, would it be possible to pull an enemy's drawn weapon (or focus/component pouch) with advantage? Trying to figure out interesting ways to break up the typical hack and slash, and add a little bit more of RP for my barbarian (He does have a criminal background as well, so taking things from others isn't a foreign concept for him).

"You don't need this sword now do you?!"

"Get that stupid glowy orby thing outta here!"

"Is that a book!?!? Gibb no like books!!"

More specifically, if it's a weapon I'm taking from an enemy, would this constitute an action on my part? Or would this be an object interaction.

(Edited for spelling)

N810
2016-02-10, 04:51 PM
Seems legit...

Might count as grapple though... :thog:

Oramac
2016-02-10, 05:14 PM
I'm no DM.

That said, I'd say it definitely counts as an action. Maybe, maybe, you could convince the DM to let you use a bonus action to attack with the just-stolen weapon.

It could just as easily fall under the Grappling rules though.

Addaran
2016-02-10, 07:03 PM
Sounds like a disarm attack. I'd probably use the Battle Master's maneuver as a starting point. Use one attack per attempt, DC 8+prof+ str or dex. If you succeed, using your interact with an object free action means you keep the object in your hands instead of pushing/slapping it away. If you have extra attack, you can use your other(s) attacks to hit him.

For the advantage, i guess that would translate to disadvantage to his save.

edit: Forgot to say it's a str save to resist. Since it's the bear totem, only disadvantage to the save if you use your str (and why wouldn't you?) for the DC.

thepsyker
2016-02-10, 08:27 PM
This is a question specifically for the bear aspect. The wording of it reads:

You gain the might of a bear. Your carrying capacity (including maximum load and maximum lift is doubled) and you have advantage on Strength checks made to push, pull, lift, or break objects.

I'm specifically looking at the last part of the aspect. If one is playing a sword and board barbarian, and doesn't have their own weapon out yet, and is wanting to conserve rages, would it be possible to pull an enemy's drawn weapon (or focus/component pouch) with advantage? Trying to figure out interesting ways to break up the typical hack and slash, and add a little bit more of RP for my barbarian (He does have a criminal background as well, so taking things from others isn't a foreign concept for him).

It would be the DM's call, but I don't think that is what they are talking about when they say "pull" in that context. To me it reads more like it is saying "You get advantage on Strength checks made to push a box, pull a box, lift a box, or break a box" than it is saying "You get advantage on Strength checks to pull a sword from an opponents hand." To me the ability as a whole reads more like it is meant to deal with hauling stuff. So "pull an object" in this sense is more like "drag an object," but that is just my read and it is obviously ultimately up to the DM.

JackPhoenix
2016-02-10, 08:34 PM
Non-BM disarm is a variant on page 271 of DMG. Attack roll vs target's Athletics or Acrobatics, disadvantage on attack if the target holds the weapon in both hands, the target has advantage if it's bigger then the attacker, disadvantage if it's smaller.