PDA

View Full Version : Questions about what spells can be cast (and affect enemies) while in timestop.

Melcar
2016-02-10, 05:15 PM
After not playing D&D for some time now, on my main char, I just wanted to brush up on some information.

I was rethinking some timestop tactics, and the following spells came to mind, as some that could be cast in timestop and affect my enemies.

First I was thinking that the tenticle line of spells could be cast and take effect as soon as the timestop was over.

Then I was thinking about Maw of Chaos

And finally forcecage.

I just wanted to get an idea of whether or not this assumption was right or not...

DarkSoul
2016-02-10, 07:57 PM
Best bet will be to talk to the DM about it, but forcecage shouldn't be a problem. Black Tentacles would probably be fine as well, it just wouldn't do anything until you come out of the time stop, because you can't affect anyone while you're affected by it. Maw of Chaos would likely be the same way. The DM might have different ideas though.

Platymus Pus
2016-02-10, 08:01 PM
Delayed fireball is a classic, maybe spells along those lines?

Âmesang
2016-02-10, 08:06 PM
Any chance you can drench your foes in conjured quick-dry cement? :smallbiggrin:

Khedrac
2016-02-11, 08:28 AM
Black Tentacles is pointless.

The spell affects creatures on casting or when they enter it.
Since it cannot affect them "on casting" due to the timestop spell description only the "on entry" trigger applies - and so long as they don't leave they don't have to enter it - they are already in it.

Something a lot of people forget is that if you make your initial check and have ranged attacks, it is usually a good idea to stay in a tentacles area - it stops melees from getting to you...
If you are a melee stay at the edge - prevents flankers moving round you.

Morcleon
2016-02-11, 08:52 AM
Black Tentacles is pointless.

The spell affects creatures on casting or when they enter it.
Since it cannot affect them "on casting" due to the timestop spell description only the "on entry" trigger applies - and so long as they don't leave they don't have to enter it - they are already in it.

Something a lot of people forget is that if you make your initial check and have ranged attacks, it is usually a good idea to stay in a tentacles area - it stops melees from getting to you...
If you are a melee stay at the edge - prevents flankers moving round you.

The spell actually affects "Every creature within the area of the spell" and "Any creature that enters the area of the spell". It does not specify that it only affects them on cast.

Necroticplague
2016-02-11, 09:08 AM
After not playing D&D for some time now, on my main char, I just wanted to brush up on some information.

I was rethinking some timestop tactics, and the following spells came to mind, as some that could be cast in timestop and affect my enemies.

First I was thinking that the tenticle line of spells could be cast and take effect as soon as the timestop was over.

Then I was thinking about Maw of Chaos

And finally forcecage.

I just wanted to get an idea of whether or not this assumption was right or not...

Yep, these all work. They won't take any damage or be effected while the Time Stop is up, so you might waste a round or two of duration, but you can cast all of that in a Time Stop, leaving your enemy trapped when you come out.

Morcleon
2016-02-11, 09:25 AM
Yep, these all work. They won't take any damage or be effected while the Time Stop is up, so you might waste a round or two of duration, but you can cast all of that in a Time Stop, leaving your enemy trapped when you come out.

And by the time you can cast Time Stop, you'll have at least 17 rounds of duration on it. :smalltongue: