PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Arcane Channeling, Touch Spells, Combat Expertise

Kuu Lightwing
2016-02-10, 05:20 PM
Soo, I'm playing a Duskblade, and she uses Combat Expertise feat. I assumed that it obviously works with Arcane Channeling, because, hey, that makes sense! But the wording is confusing. Combat Expertise requires me to use Attack Action or Full Attack Action. Arcane Channeling (not full-round version) doesn't seem be an "Attack Action", if I understand it correctly. It tells me that I can "cast a spell..."

Next, let's assume that I didn't hit the enemy. Sometimes that happens, after all... So, according to the rules for touch spells now I can hold the charge, right? But, wait, now I have to deliver it with my hand as a touch attack, right? Because Arcane Channeling doesn't seem to allow me to do anything with spells I hold.

Gee, I mean... why is it so counter-intuitive? The idea is simple "strike with the weapon and the spell at the same time", but then it kinda falls apart when you go into details, even not going further than core plus the actual class description.

nedz
2016-02-10, 09:08 PM
Soo, I'm playing a Duskblade, and she uses Combat Expertise feat. I assumed that it obviously works with Arcane Channeling, because, hey, that makes sense! But the wording is confusing. Combat Expertise requires me to use Attack Action or Full Attack Action. Arcane Channeling (not full-round version) doesn't seem be an "Attack Action", if I understand it correctly. It tells me that I can "cast a spell..."

Next, let's assume that I didn't hit the enemy. Sometimes that happens, after all... So, according to the rules for touch spells now I can hold the charge, right? But, wait, now I have to deliver it with my hand as a touch attack, right? Because Arcane Channeling doesn't seem to allow me to do anything with spells I hold.

Gee, I mean... why is it so counter-intuitive? The idea is simple "strike with the weapon and the spell at the same time", but then it kinda falls apart when you go into details, even not going further than core plus the actual class description.
Arcane Channeling requires a Standard action to use, and allows you to make a melee attack. Since Combat Expertise is just a modified attack this works fine. The wording is confusing though.

Arcane Channeling allows you to cast a touch spell ..., so if you miss with this then you are still holding the charge.

RAW is often confusing, or even just plain badly written - see below.

Kuu Lightwing
2016-02-11, 12:37 AM
Arcane Channeling requires a Standard action to use, and allows you to make a melee attack. Since Combat Expertise is just a modified attack this works fine. The wording is confusing though.

Arcane Channeling allows you to cast a touch spell ..., so if you miss with this then you are still holding the charge.

RAW is often confusing, or even just plain badly written - see below.

Thank you.

For CE - isn't an "Attack Action" a specific action described in PHB under "Standard Actions/Attack" section? I mean, it works similar to fighting defensively, but the wording is different (And that's also weird). Also, if "Attack Action" could be any action that requires an attack would that mean that casting a touch spell could also be used with Combat Expertise?

For channeling - that part I understand, but I would expect to be able to attack with my rapier again to deliver a channeled spell, but according to RAW it seems I can't do this. Of course I talked to DM so that he lets me to do so, but still... I mean, what, during the playtest nobody missed with a channeled attack? It's not some complicated stuff happened because of ten splatbooks used together, it's just one mechanic.

And yea, I'm starting to understand that RAW is not very good sometimes.

nedz
2016-02-11, 04:17 AM
For CE - isn't an "Attack Action" a specific action described in PHB under "Standard Actions/Attack" section? I mean, it works similar to fighting defensively, but the wording is different (And that's also weird). Also, if "Attack Action" could be any action that requires an attack would that mean that casting a touch spell could also be used with Combat Expertise?
Yes I think so. The relevant rules are in the Combat section - Actions in Combat.

For channeling - that part I understand, but I would expect to be able to attack with my rapier again to deliver a channeled spell, but according to RAW it seems I can't do this. Of course I talked to DM so that he lets me to do so, but still... I mean, what, during the playtest nobody missed with a channeled attack? It's not some complicated stuff happened because of ten splatbooks used together, it's just one mechanic.
No you can't by RAW - but your DM has made a reasonable houserule.
Incidentally if you make a touch attack, with a weapon like spell (see Complete Arcane), then you can crit with it (x2/20); but if the spell is channelled then the weapon crits and not the spell.

Kuu Lightwing
2016-02-11, 10:54 AM
Yes I think so. The relevant rules are in the Combat section - Actions in Combat.
That could be useful...

No you can't by RAW - but your DM has made a reasonable houserule.
Incidentally if you make a touch attack, with a weapon like spell (see Complete Arcane), then you can crit with it (x2/20); but if the spell is channelled then the weapon crits and not the spell.

Yea, I know about crits, and it would be really nice, because the girl in question is a DEX fighter and uses a rapier as her weapon, so increased threat range could really make it a somewhat reasonable choice. Unfortunately, that DM doesn't agree too because he thinks it would be a bit too OP. Heh. I guess 10d6 shocking grasp + 3d6 (rapier crit + Deadly Defense feat) + bonus damage (STR, weapon enh, Know Devotion) could feel a bit too powerful, but on the other hand, she doesn't have stuff like two-handed power attack bonus, but well, I guess that's okay.