PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Spell-like abilities, Schools, and Qualifications

Xuldarinar
2016-02-10, 08:56 PM
Looking over things both 1st party and 3rd, I came upon something that left me with a question; Can spell-like abilities meet school prerequisites for entering prestige classes? I know they meet specific requirements, and I've heard flip-flopping on if they meet level requirements, but do they meet spell school requirements?

For the sake of an example;

Lets say there exists an ill-advised character that is as follows: Sorcerer 6/Blood Kineticist 5. Six of their Sorcerer spells are Divination, one of which being a 3rd level spell. The blood kineticist provides Blood Tell at 5th level, which is a spell-like ability that functions as Blood Biography, which is a divination spell. Provided they have at least 7 ranks in two Knowledge skills, and has the proper feats, do they qualify for Loremaster?

Psyren
2016-02-10, 10:00 PM
Loremaster's requirement specifically says spells, so I'd say no, SLAs don't work. They are like spells, but are ultimately not spells.

Note that when SLAs do let you qualify for something, it's because that thing says "able to cast {name.}" It does not specify that {name} has to be a spell. For example, Agent of the Grave (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/a-b/agent-of-the-grave)'s requirement says "able to cast animate dead" - thus, both the spell and the SLA can get you in. If instead it said "must be able to cast the animate dead spell,"only the former would work.

Kurald Galain
2016-02-11, 02:28 AM
Looking over things both 1st party and 3rd, I came upon something that left me with a question; Can spell-like abilities meet school prerequisites for entering prestige classes?
Per the FAQ, no. Note that this is a relatively recent change to the FAQ, and the answer used to be "yes". The SLA you mention can meet a prerequisite of "must be able to cast Blood Biography", but not "must be able to cast Nth-level spells" or "arcane spells" or "divination spells".

Xuldarinar
2016-02-11, 02:38 AM
I just love it when they change their minds. Understandably so, as it was potentially abusable, but such as it is.

Thank you.