PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Do Dreams Dream of Real Sheep? [Race]

Milo v3
2016-02-11, 01:03 AM
Here's (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1uqSvYq8daxIq6bavGie-UjnOwDiFdW_dTY_tfkbVhYo/edit?usp=sharing) a race that lives on the Dimension of Dreams, since I like all the new dream stuff in PF. They're named after the "first actor", since they pretend to be thought-constructs in dreamscapes so they can steal food and water.

Debihuman
2016-02-11, 04:19 AM
It's a bit light on description, but seems okay to me. With adversaries, I'd rather see them statted like monsters than as PC races

Milo v3
2016-02-11, 05:10 AM
It's a bit light on description, but seems okay to me. With adversaries, I'd rather see them statted like monsters than as PC races

Adversaries? I'm not sure what you mean.

Debihuman
2016-02-11, 07:30 AM
The only reason to go into dreams is when a PC is sleeping since it is very unlikely that the PCs will come across a sleeping monster and instead of killing it will invade its dreams. As for going into NPC's dreams - possibly. I still don't get how stealing dream food is helpful.

Debby

Milo v3
2016-02-11, 08:05 AM
The only reason to go into dreams is when a PC is sleeping since it is very unlikely that the PCs will come across a sleeping monster and instead of killing it will invade its dreams. As for going into NPC's dreams - possibly. I still don't get how stealing dream food is helpful.

Debby

I'd imagine with the addition of actual rules for the Dimension of Dreams in pathfinder's occult adventures there are more adventuring opportunities, also this race is meant to help allow people to play games on the dimension of dreams rather than having to go from material races using high level spells/rituals/plot-fiat to get there. Also, they can get out of the dimension of dreams and do adventures on the material plane, all they'll lose is the bonus on charisma checks to be lucid.

As for the food thing, they steal dream food as it is were food comes from on that plane and as native outsiders they must eat to survive. It's a place made of dreamscapes, so to find food for themselves they have to go out into peoples dreamscapes to get it. If not for their disguise abilities, I could see dreamers being abit unnerved by seeing thin seven foot tall people with red eyes and green hair trying to take food.

Also, I've added some more text since you're right about it being rather sparse. Not immensely more, but a bit more.

DMwithoutPC's
2016-02-11, 04:09 PM
hey miles!

not to familiar with pathfinder but....
no level adjustment? or did you just forget to add it.

For dream based beings I find them a little... bland. Also because they have exactly the same abilities when they leave the dream world and walk the material plane. If the alter self was something they picked up through manipulating the fact that they walk around in dreams, it doesn't make sense for that to be carried over to the real world, right?

Milo v3
2016-02-11, 05:42 PM
hey miles!

not to familiar with pathfinder but....
no level adjustment? or did you just forget to add it.

For dream based beings I find them a little... bland. Also because they have exactly the same abilities when they leave the dream world and walk the material plane. If the alter self was something they picked up through manipulating the fact that they walk around in dreams, it doesn't make sense for that to be carried over to the real world, right?

Pathfinder actually doesn't have level adjustment, races like aasimar and tiefling are playable without slowing your leveling (the playing monster rules are also heavily modified and take like five readings the first time you go to use them after being used to LA for so many years).

As for leaving the plane of dreams, normally in pathfinder an individuals stats do not change in the dimension of dreams except that you get "Impossible actions" that let you do.... anything. Also, being outsiders I personally think there is justification for the dream powers having been internalized enough to allow it function regardless of environment. Do you feel as though this justification is not strong enough?

upho
2016-02-11, 06:05 PM
I like the concept. But I have to say I also find them a little bland as is. How about some kind of ability that allows them to do some limited version of "impossible dream actions" while on the material plane, perhaps limited to a level-increasing number of times per day?

Milo v3
2016-02-11, 07:02 PM
I like the concept. But I have to say I also find them a little bland as is. How about some kind of ability that allows them to do some limited version of "impossible dream actions" while on the material plane, perhaps limited to a level-increasing number of times per day?
Added... though since it lets you do anything there are limitations and only once a day. Though it still lets you make a cart or masterwork fullplate out of nothing and stuff, and scales with level.

upho
2016-02-11, 09:31 PM
That's a very nice solution, way more elegant that what I had hoped for! Now I think they really do feel unique and suitably "dreamy". Might borrow this for a NPC the party is likely to meet next session...

Thanks!

DMwithoutPC's
2016-02-12, 03:05 AM
ooooh yes! Opposite solution of what I would have done, but it does make them more interesting. Instead of make them more Dreamy in the Dreamworld, you made them more Dreamy in the real world!