PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Vampires - breaking domination?

Harlot
2016-02-11, 02:58 AM
Hi
The group I am DM'ing has just defeated a vampire coven. However, the tank of the group failed a save against domination from a vampire and the vampire is still alive and well, so the the tank is still dominated.
The group knows this, but they are fairly low level (6) and don't know how to handle the domination, and frankly neither do I.
The vampire has not yet ordered the tank to do anything that would 'go against his nature' but he does have a tendency to leave the group at the most inconvenient of times.

So: How do you break vampire domination? Any counterspells/dispelling? The group can afford to pay someone to break the domination.
The group is considering getting the tank a ring of 'protection from evil +1. I assume that would break the link between tank and vampire. What would the price be?
Thank you in advance for your aid!
/Harlot

Aetis
2016-02-11, 03:16 AM
Formula: Spell level x Caster level x 2000g x 2 (since Protection from Evil has duration of 1 min/lv)

So, 1 x 1 x 2000 x 2 = 4000 gold for a Ring of Protection from Evil.

Thurbane
2016-02-11, 03:23 AM
Resurgence is a 1st level spell, and will give him a chance to shrug it off. Load him up with save boosters prior to the casting(s).

Harlot
2016-02-11, 03:55 AM
Resurgence is a 1st level spell, and will give him a chance to shrug it off. Load him up with save boosters prior to the casting(s).

That was easy. and cheap. If he fails his save, can he try again? I'd read it as ONE second chance?

Thurbane
2016-02-11, 05:10 AM
That was easy. and cheap. If he fails his save, can he try again? I'd read it as ONE second chance?

No reason you can't just keep casting the spell. You only get one re-roll per casting, but I can't see any reason why you couldn't keep trying.

Fizban
2016-02-11, 06:25 AM
Resurgence is basically the best way to get rid of anything, unless your save is so low you need 20+ castings to roll a 20 and break out. Never use pricing guidelines as hard formulas. Protection from Evil has a short duration and can be difficult to cast on an uncooperative subject: if you need to stop a Dominated or otherwise Compelled victim, simply cast Magic Circle against Evil (or any alignment), and move within 10'. The magic circle effect allows no saves or rolls, suppresses compulsions on everyone in the area, and lasts for a good hour or so giving you time to get to a caster/wand/shop with Resurgence or at least tie them up real good.

Harlot
2016-02-11, 10:05 AM
Thank you all for clarifying. Resurgence it is :-)

elonin
2016-02-11, 09:57 PM
Does the party know their member is dominated? That shouldn't be a given, necessarily. Even if they were around when it happened.

Crake
2016-02-11, 10:52 PM
Does the party know their member is dominated? That shouldn't be a given, necessarily. Even if they were around when it happened.

It was already mentioned in the first post that the party knew he was dominated. Realistically, it's only a DC15 sense motive check to realise he's under a compulsion, which close party members would be able to easily figure out.

Resurgence is a great solution, however if this campaign is going to have heavy vampire themes around it, I'd suggest getting the party to all get some kind of slotless item of continuous protection from evil, I personally like tattoos. Either that or the vampire hunter feat, which makes you immune to vampire domination and you can always tell a vampire apart from a normal person.

I also like getting a celestial familiar that projects a constant circle of protection, like a coure eladrin :smalltongue:

Zanos
2016-02-11, 11:48 PM
If time isn't an issue, you can just look them up until the duration expires.

MesiDoomstalker
2016-02-12, 12:26 AM
If time isn't an issue, you can just look them up until the duration expires.

It will last 12 days, and the OP made it seem like he just kind of disappears for a while. If that is the case, I'd suspect the Vampire is renewing his Domination on a semi-frequent basis.

sleepyphoenixx
2016-02-12, 03:05 AM
Resurgence is a great solution, however if this campaign is going to have heavy vampire themes around it, I'd suggest getting the party to all get some kind of slotless item of continuous protection from evil, I personally like tattoos. Either that or the vampire hunter feat, which makes you immune to vampire domination and you can always tell a vampire apart from a normal person.

I also like getting a celestial familiar that projects a constant circle of protection, like a coure eladrin :smalltongue:

Continuous PfE is kind of expensive, no matter what the normal guidelines say. The closest equivalent is the Exalted armor enhancement from BoED, and that's +3 so you're talking at least 16,000gp (though it does some other stuff against vile damage).
I like the option of getting something with a permanent magic circle a lot better, and there's plenty of ways to get it.

Another thing that really helps against vampires is the spell Light of Xymor (DoF). It's basically Daylight but counts as true daylight, so it's a no-save vampire killer. Also has some great utility against evil dragons and dragonblooded (save or dazed every round), but that's just gravy in this case. Probably one of my favorite cleric spells.

In a really undead-heavy campaign it may also be useful to get Sun Devotion (CC). True sunlight in a 10ft radius for a minute and extra sacred damage against undead can help melee classes a lot.

Harlot
2016-02-12, 11:19 AM
Hello again
Hadn't realised the thread continued way past my last 'thank you' :-)
The group is aware the tank is dominated; in the middle of searching this huge mansion, the tank suddenly decides to leave and go back to their inn - no explanation and he was very insistent. They made the DC 15 sense motive check easily.
The vampire does renew the domination continuously, so it does not wear off ...

The campaign is very nearly finished at this point - I think we have 10% left of the campaign, so there's no need to find very complicated solutions or gear. Circle of PaE and resurgence is great for the purpose at this late point. But I do very much appreciate your various solutions - learning a lot of cool stuff here.

GiTP has never, ever let me down.
Thanx
/Harlot

noob
2016-02-12, 12:39 PM
Is dispel magic accessible at this level?(I believe you gain it at level 5)
But resurgence seems way more accessible.

Harlot
2016-02-12, 01:24 PM
Is dispel magic accessible at this level?(I believe you gain it at level 5)
But resurgence seems way more accessible.

As I understand it, vampire domination cannot be countered in that way, as it is not a spell as such? I may be dead wrong on this one though!
/Harlot

noob
2016-02-12, 01:39 PM
It is SU sorry.
However truename dispel would work(but is not at any reasonable level)