PDA

View Full Version : Guessing Does anyone else think that the hilt of Roy's sword might be...

Replicant
2016-02-11, 09:43 AM
...a piece of the hide of the green dragon of Reddragonsville?

This was just a showerthought I had this morning, so I decided to finally make an account to post about it.

According to comic 497, the Greenhilt family sword was used by Roy's grandfather Horace to defeat both the red and green dragons of Redragonsville; Horace seems particularly proud of the latter fight, saying that it was "a LOT harder".

We don't know if he actually slayed either dragon, but it seems entirely possible that he did. If so could he have decided to collect the hide as a trophy to ornament his sword? It definitely seems like the sort of thing I'd do with a character, especially if they just happened to have a perfectly appropriate surname.

A possible problem with this theory is that the sword belonged to Roy's great-grandfather before it was passed on to Horace. Maybe the sword just had a plain hilt until then, and Horace's defeat of the green dragon and renowned prowess as a warrior (he was good enough to learn the Spellsplitter after all, and defeating two dragons would probably make one at least moderately famous) was what lead to the decision to name his family after the sword?

theasl
2016-02-11, 05:29 PM
Or maybe the hilt was green before, Horace just made it greener? :smallbiggrin:

Narshe
2016-02-11, 07:15 PM
This is good headcanon. Roy's grandfather's original name must have been Horace... Plainhilt.

Quild
2016-02-12, 09:04 AM
I find this theory quite awkwards since Haley is a direct descendant of the green dragon of Reddragonsville :smalleek:

kaoskonfety
2016-02-12, 09:42 AM
I find this theory quite awkwards since Haley is a direct descendant of the green dragon of Reddragonsville :smalleek:

I'm not sure if I want this explained....

Rift_Wolf
2016-02-12, 09:53 AM

D:
Wait that doesn't make sense since Elan is a Southern God's avatar and even if he missed it, polymorphed Trigak most certainly wouldn't.

Jay R
2016-02-12, 05:01 PM
No, I don't believe the theory. And I won't, unless you can come up with a story-related reason. Without that, it's just Chekov's hillt backstory.

Markozeta
2016-02-12, 06:57 PM
D:
Wait that doesn't make sense since Elan is a Southern God's avatar and even if he missed it, polymorphed Trigak most certainly wouldn't.

Isn't Trigak coming back as a vampire?

Gift Jeraff
2016-02-12, 09:43 PM
I'm not sure if I want this explained....

What needs to be explained? It's IN the actual comic... (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0131.html) :smallannoyed:

Rift_Wolf
2016-02-13, 07:27 AM
Isn't Trigak coming back as a vampire?

Well yeah but he has to be polymorphed first because of creature types. Obviously.

Returning to op, it's good head canon but unlikely to have a story imperative. Unless someone True Rez's Roys sword in the final Battle.

Morcleon
2016-02-15, 10:06 AM
What needs to be explained? It's IN the actual comic... (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0131.html) :smallannoyed:

I can't see where it says that she actually has draconic ancestry. Her line about being a half-dragon seems more like a joke about how she likes hoarding money in order to divert attention from the real reason she wants the gold (to free her father), and even if it was literal, it never says the dragon she was descended from is the one from Reddragonsville.

Quild
2016-02-15, 11:15 AM
I can't see where it says that she actually has draconic ancestry. Her line about being a half-dragon seems more like a joke about how she likes hoarding money in order to divert attention from the real reason she wants the gold (to free her father), and even if it was literal, it never says the dragon she was descended from is the one from Reddragonsville.

It's clearly a Chekhov Dragon if I know one.

Darth Paul
2016-02-16, 12:30 AM
This is one of those threads where I realize how right Littlebum was... and why I added the quote to my signatures....

Vinyadan
2016-02-16, 06:53 AM
This is good headcanon. Roy's grandfather's original name must have been Horace... Plainhilt.

I would go with Pleatherhilt.

Kantaki
2016-02-16, 10:26 AM

I think you take that too seriously.
Haley being a half-dragon/celestial/whatever is one of those theories that just float around there in a more or less joking way.
Mostly because of things she said.
Stuff like that she is a half-dragon, that all the good people in her life leave her because isn't good enough, that she isn't exactly what [Elan] would call... and maybe some other things I'm missing right now.
My personal theory is that she is a half-human. Other half also human.:smalltongue:

The swords hilt being made from dragonscales is a interesting idea. Unfortunately it is unlikely to come up unless Roy fights something with DR/ dragonscale-hilts.

Vinyadan
2016-02-16, 10:48 AM
The swords hilt being made from dragonscales is a interesting idea. Unfortunately it is unlikely to come up unless Roy fights something with DR/ dragonscale-hilts.
That looks like something which would have been more interesting while the sword was still broken.

OT: It also reminds me of killing Darklord Taktaal in the Lone Wolf books, when the only adequate weapon I had was a Zejar-dulaga arrow - pity that I didn't have a bow. I gave myself a lot of maluses and pictured the fight as Lone Wolf jumping at Taktaal and desperately stabbing him in the eye with the arrow.

Kantaki
2016-02-16, 11:17 AM
That looks like something which would have been more interesting while the sword was still broken.

OT: It also reminds me of killing Darklord Taktaal in the Lone Wolf books, when the only adequate weapon I had was a Zejar-dulaga arrow - pity that I didn't have a bow. I gave myself a lot of maluses and pictured the fight as Lone Wolf jumping at Taktaal and desperately stabbing him in the eye with the arrow.

Eh, I was mostly tongue in cheek with my comment.
It's a reference to a legend, „Dietrich and Hildebrand” (at least that's the title the book gives), where a giant has to be killed that way. (The exact wording is that he is invulnerable to the edge and the tip.) There's definitely similar stuff in other tales (the most absurd I remember was the guy who had to be stabbed with a specifically made weapon while standing with one foot on a bathtub and with the other on a goat. Somehow he got in that situation) but my DR/ dragonscale-hilts is based on Dietrich and Hildebrand.

Tokay
2016-02-16, 12:00 PM
So you were thinking about Roy's sword in the shower?

137beth
2016-02-20, 12:13 AM
Prior to defeating the Green Dragon of Reddragonsville, Roy's grandfather's name was Horace Bananahilt.

Rift_Wolf
2016-02-20, 09:06 AM
Prior to defeating the Green Dragon of Reddragonsville, Roy's grandfather's name was Horace Bananahilt.

How could he hold his sword if it's handle was banana skin?

b_jonas
2016-02-22, 08:37 AM
unless Roy fights something with DR/ dragonscale-hilts. Ah, that's a good idea. A red dragon is chaotic evil, so maybe using its scales would make the hilt count as chaotic evil aligned, and Roy could use it against a creature with DR/evil.

Vinyadan
2016-02-22, 08:43 AM
How could he hold his sword if it's handle was banana skin?

He did say it was a hard fight :smallcool:

Rift_Wolf
2016-02-22, 09:38 AM
He did say it was a hard fight :smallcool:

Just makes him seem more badass that he'd take on a green dragon with a banana handled sword. Extra points if the Blade was banana as well.
The reason the red Dragon was easier was because he'd taken the green dragons skin to make the handle.

Vinyadan
2016-02-22, 02:44 PM
Just makes him seem more badass that he'd take on a green dragon with a banana handled sword. Extra points if the Blade was banana as well.
The reason the red Dragon was easier was because he'd taken the green dragons skin to make the handle.

The Banana of Legacy.

Rift_Wolf
2016-02-23, 12:40 PM
The Banana of Legacy.

I'm filing that under 'misuses of Polymorph Any Object'. It's a loooong list...