PDA

View Full Version : KnockDown feat(3.5e/3e), Trip Master (3.5e/3e)?

theboss
2016-02-11, 11:50 AM
My DM argues with me that those two feats are from 3 edition and have never updated to 3.5, i found some sources that claim i am right. but he refuses to accept it and call them "False Sources". can you please tell me and if you can give me the URL of some reliable source and tell your own opinion on the matter, or your fact... ty in advance

Coidzor
2016-02-11, 07:25 PM
What sources have you found?

Knock-Dowen is from Sword and Fist (definitely 3rd edition, publication date January 2001) and reprinted in Deities and Demigods(from early 2002). The 3.5 revision was put out in 2003.

So, yes, that feat is 3.0 content, but it is compatible with 3.5, and there's no especially compelling reason that it requires much if any work to update it.

Your DM is probably not aware of 3.0 content being compatible with 3.5 when unupdated with little to no adjustment necessary or is being dishonest and just hates that part of this, as some people do. Or he thinks Knock-Down is broken due to getting a free trip and follow up attack on every for and doesn't want to just say so.

Never heard of this Trip Master feat, though, sorry.

Lans
2016-02-11, 07:53 PM
Knock down is in the 3.5 srd

Andezzar
2016-02-11, 08:00 PM
The problem is that the 3.5 SRD (https://www.wizards.com/d20/files/v35/DivineAbilitiesandFeats.rtf) gives conflicting information about the Knockdown Feat:

Deities can obtain the feats described here, in addition to any standard feats.
[...]
Knock-Down [General]
Prerequisites

Base attack bonus +2, Improved Trip, Str 15.
Benefit

Whenever you deal 10 or more points of damage to your opponent in melee, you make a trip attack as a free action against the same target. So on the one hand the SRD seems to imply, but does not actually say the feat is available only to deities, and on the other hand puts it in the [General], making it available to everyone who fulfils the prerequisites.
Most other Feats in that section can be found in other non-OGL publications making them available to non-deities. I'd say it should be available to anyone that meets the prerequisites.

Necroticplague
2016-02-11, 08:08 PM
The problem is that the 3.5 SRD (https://www.wizards.com/d20/files/v35/DivineAbilitiesandFeats.rtf) gives conflicting information about the Knockdown Feat:
So on the one hand the SRD seems to imply, but does not actually say the feat is available only to deities, and on the other hand puts it in the [General], making it available to everyone who fulfils the prerequisites.
Most other Feats in that section can be found in other non-OGL publications making them available to non-deities. I'd say it should be available to anyone that meets the prerequisites.

Just because it's found in a section of some type of feats, doesn't mean it belongs to that group of feats. There are feats in psionic books non-psionics can take, some non-evil feats in Elder Evils. Unless it specifically says only deities can take the feat, they can take the feat if they qualify. The text at the beggining of the feat section fails to state anything to such effect (if anyone who can qualify for the feats can take them, dieties that qualify can also take them. A bit redundant, but not the first time crap like that happened in a WOTC book).

nedz
2016-02-11, 08:09 PM
Knock down is in the 3.5 srd

That's the one from Deities and Demigods p51

Andezzar
2016-02-11, 08:11 PM
I agree with you Necroticplague, but I think that is why the OP's DM does not want to include the feat.

@nedz: yup and being in the SRD gives the feat an update to 3.5.

Coidzor
2016-02-11, 09:47 PM
So on the one hand the SRD seems to imply, but does not actually say the feat is available only to deities, and on the other hand puts it in the [General], making it available to everyone who fulfils the prerequisites.

It just uses the wording from deities and demigods which gave the feat some flavor text.