PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Monster Synergies

Spectre9000
2016-02-11, 11:51 AM
What are some monster/npc combinations you've found actually synergize off one another to make interesting encounters? I'd like them to thematically be capable of being together additionally. For instance, a drider with a dryad might be a bit strange.

Douche
2016-02-11, 01:13 PM
A drider and a dryad would make plenty of sense together if you were in some kind of alphabetical dungeon, preceded by a dragon.

BiPolar
2016-02-11, 01:21 PM
What are some monster/npc combinations you've found actually synergize off one another to make interesting encounters? I'd like them to thematically be capable of being together additionally. For instance, a drider with a dryad might be a bit strange.

But a Drider with Drow, Mindflayers and Druegar would work.

There are lots of options and opportunities here...did you have a theme you wanted to use to help narrow it down?

Ninja_Prawn
2016-02-11, 01:33 PM
I've been planning to try out a dryads/awakened tree combo, but I haven't done it yet, and if I do it'll be presented as a social encounter first and foremost, which will only devolve into combat if the players can't solve it peacefully. But I think there's synergy, in terms of the trees being melee battering rams and the dryad providing magical cover/support.

I've heard (from the Angry DM) that wolves and hobgoblins work well, using the hobgoblins as a shield-wall and the wolves as a strike team.

Spectre9000
2016-02-11, 02:03 PM
I was thinking more along the lines of their abilities capitalizing off one another, not so much just monsters of X biome coming together. For instance, have Black Pudding go in to dissolve armor and wreak havoc, whilst Duergar launch javelins from range, and another group of Duergar go invisible and sneak up behind, at which point, your front-line adventurers would be significantly weakened, having possibly lost weapons and armor to it being dissolved. Duergar previously, would have been an easy target, your melee characters could handle without batting an eye, but not with reduced AC and Weapons, they're a challenge, not to mention if they manage to sneak up on your squishies (don't forget disadvantage to cast spells in melee range), which will be using spells on the Black Pudding and perhaps the javelin Duergar. They synergized because typically, Duergar (CR 1) outside of level 4 maybe, pose little threat, and Black Pudding are CR 4, but combined, they make a serious challenge.

Another example, might be a Drider casting Darkness, in combination with any creature that can see through magical darkness.

An example of spells being used in conjunction, would be Control/Create Water or Watery Sphere, and Otiluke's Freezing Sphere to trap enemies, though I only know of Homebrewed NPC's that can make this happen. I was hoping to find interesting combinations of Monsters that would really get adventurers thinking and keep them on their toes.

supergoji18
2016-02-11, 02:08 PM
A dungeon full of Flameskulls and one Demilich. They'll never know the difference until it's too late...

spartan_ah
2016-02-11, 03:21 PM
Shambeling whatever and will o wisp.
Nature monsters that synergies together

Ninja_Prawn
2016-02-11, 03:56 PM
*Flicks to random page in MM*

Okay, what do ya got for me, hydra?

Well, it's got way more HP than anything else in its weight class, and when under attack it not only regenerates, but its offensive power also increases. It's a brilliant melee tank. On the downside, it lacks manoeuvrability, with only 30ft movement, no flight, no ranged attack, no AoE attack and no legendary actions. That means it'll struggle to bring all its power to bear, especially its ability to make multiple opportunity attacks in a round.

It needs support from something that can control the battlefield, or harry & corral opponents into its killzone. Looking at the DMG's list of swamp-dwelling monsters, I'm thinking lizardfolk are promising, particularly the shaman, whose spell list is heavily geared towards battlefield control. They're fragile, of course, but if the heroes are attacking them, they're leaving the hydra free to rampage (because attacking a hydra is an all-or-nothing proposition). Ideally, I'd structure this encounter so the PCs have to go through the hydra to get to their objective - maybe it's sitting on an artifact they need to recover. Then they have an incentive to direct their firepower towards the tank, while the shamans and other lizardfolk force the party's squishies into bite-range of the hydra.

Given that both of these monsters can hold their breaths, and the lizardfolk have proficiency in stealth, I'd probably have them hide under the water and launch an ambush. If the hydra popped up first, then the lizardfolk in the second round, you'd put the party on the back foot because you'd know their formation - most likely there will be ranged characters staying far from the hydra and thus leaving themselves vulnerable to the lizardfolk.

Kane0
2016-02-11, 04:21 PM
Chuul paired with spectators was a good combination i used on my party once. The spectators led squads of 3-5 chuul acting as coordinator as well as fire support and battlefield control while the chuul provided the HP and further lockdown with their grappling claw attacks.
The party learned to keep their distance and prioritize the spectators pretty quickly

Spectre9000
2016-02-11, 04:21 PM

Well, it's got way more HP than anything else in its weight class, and when under attack it not only regenerates, but its offensive power also increases. It's a brilliant melee tank. On the downside, it lacks manoeuvrability, with only 30ft movement, no flight, no ranged attack, no AoE attack and no legendary actions. That means it'll struggle to bring all its power to bear, especially its ability to make multiple opportunity attacks in a round.

It needs support from something that can control the battlefield, or harry & corral opponents into its killzone. Looking at the DMG's list of swamp-dwelling monsters, I'm thinking lizardfolk are promising, particularly the shaman, whose spell list is heavily geared towards battlefield control. They're fragile, of course, but if the heroes are attacking them, they're leaving the hydra free to rampage (because attacking a hydra is an all-or-nothing proposition). Ideally, I'd structure this encounter so the PCs have to go through the hydra to get to their objective - maybe it's sitting on an artifact they need to recover. Then they have an incentive to direct their firepower towards the tank, while the shamans and other lizardfolk force the party's squishies into bite-range of the hydra.

Given that both of these monsters can hold their breaths, and the lizardfolk have proficiency in stealth, I'd probably have them hide under the water and launch an ambush. If the hydra popped up first, then the lizardfolk in the second round, you'd put the party on the back foot because you'd know their formation - most likely there will be ranged characters staying far from the hydra and thus leaving themselves vulnerable to the lizardfolk.

Why, when envisioning this, can I not help but think of Dark Souls? lol. That would definitely be a tough encounter forcing them to really think things through on a reactionary basis.

mephnick
2016-02-11, 06:37 PM

You literally just described an encounter I have set up on my encounter table, down to the lizardfolk shamans and water ambush. I can't wait.

I'd also think about symbiotic/parasitic relationships of monsters that take advantage of a stronger monsters abilities. Maybe a group of wisps follow a banshee around and wait for her to drop her victims. Wisps float in and get a free soul to absorb.

Basilisks that live near and eat the statues created by gorgons or medusas.

Flashy
2016-02-11, 07:17 PM
The Pseudodragon makes a marvelous hunting animal in a high magic setting or for a thematically arcane hunter. A night hag with a small pack of pseudodragons can harry a low level party like nobody's business.

MaxWilson
2016-02-11, 09:52 PM

Stone Golem and Magma Mephits. Good luck killing the golem when you can't hold your magic weapons.

Beholder and hobgoblin/goblin minions. Beholder protects minions against AoE; minions deal with creatures obscured by Darkness.

Constrictor snakes and behirs. Can't dodge lightning effectively when you're restrained by a giant anaconda.

Mind flayers and intellect devourers. Any creatures stunned by mind blast are body snatched while incapacitated.

Hobgoblins and banshees. Fear from the banshee makes it very hard to hit the hobgoblins.